PDA

View Full Version : Dummy Rounds for Dry Fire?

ASH556
10-09-12, 11:23
I don't know why, but I've always done dry fire practice with a mag full of dummy rounds. However, I'm not sure it's worth it or correct. I suppose the idea is that you can practice stance, grip, sight acquisition, and trigger control, while also practicing malfunction clearing. Although, running the drill with a magazine removed from the gun achieves the same results. Any reason for the dummy rounds in dry fire?

dctag
10-09-12, 12:06
I run dummy rounds when I am practicing weapon manipulation. With a pistol you start with gun at slidelock, go to target, pull trigger, gun doesnt fire, reload, shoot. Without the dummy the slide wont close. Same thing for practicing reloads with an AR.

Hehuhates
10-09-12, 12:11
It keeps your hammer from slamming into your lower also.

BC98
10-09-12, 14:17
It keeps your hammer from slamming into your lower also.

Doesn't the firing pin handle that?

ASH556
10-09-12, 14:21
Doesn't the firing pin handle that?

That's what I was thinking.

Hehuhates
10-09-12, 14:35
I worked late last night, total brain fart. :o

ST911
10-09-12, 15:25
I use dummy cartridges to stage malfunctions and conditions in which a cartridge (or representation thereof) is necessary. Otherwise, dry fire is done without them. You can do a tap-rack without one just as easily as with.

That being said, there is an advantage in using a weighted magazine or dummy cartridges of weight so that the gun in your hand is as realistic in feel and presentation as possible.

When using dummy cartridges, ensure that they are instantly and obviously distinguishable from live cartridges.

theblackknight
10-10-12, 10:46
I used dummys in my pistol mags for dry fire and you should too. It keeps you feedlips from getting too abused during reloads, helps with not catching the middle of the feed lips on the magwell edge, and is the only way to confirm you are doing slidelock reloads correctly by chambering a round. I keep one purple a-zoom in each mag, so I can visually check for only 1 dummy and a follower under it in clear view.

sent from mah gun,using my sights