PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with panic buying

VIP3R 237
10-09-12, 12:20
Here is a link to an outstanding article on Panic Buying, it puts alot of things in perspective as we near the election.

http://tacstrikeblog.com/the-problems-with-panic-buying/

I work part time at a gun store and already im seeing the panic buying stage from many. AR's ammo and accessories are flying off the shelf faster than we can resupply. Panic Buying is great for business but its not needed.

montanadave
10-09-12, 12:36
Great article. Thanks for the link.

The author makes a lot of good points and provides some excellent advice.

And I wish I would have read it five years ago! :cray:

VIP3R 237
10-09-12, 14:34

Same here, im as guilty as anyone back in 2008, I bought much more crap I really didnt need.

samuse
10-09-12, 14:45
I feel like I'm always panic buying.

Everytime I turn around... Another case of ammo gone!

Doc Safari
10-09-12, 15:02
I have to say I agree with him on everything but reloading.

I can't link to the articles, because we are talking about real, physical, hard copy printed magazine articles from the 1990's before the internet was much more than Al Gore's toy. Back then there were just as many articles on this subject as there are now, and a lot of them cautioned against keeping reloads for SHTF ammo, because oils and other contaminants can eventually cause some reloaded shells to not go "bang" when you need them to. I'm not the expert, mind you; I'm just repeating what people thought back in the Clinton years.

Take it for what you will.

As for stockpiling? I think there are more things to prepare for than just legislation. Natural disasters or riots in the streets come to mind. With a potential economic collapse not being tinfoil hat stuff anymore I'm more concerned with starving gang-bangers in pickup trucks in a few years than what Obama might do. I exaggerate a tad, but the point is that there's more than just government to worry about.

I'm as against panic buying as that author, but you don't want to be caught flat-footed either. Once you decide what you do need: keep a slow and steady burn on acquiring it without breaking the bank.

I'd also acquire enough that you can weather shortages due to things like --GULP--panic buying. :D

sDot
10-09-12, 15:03
It's almost the end of the world, we should be stocking up.. When Jesus rises he will be expecting you to have his back.

Dan46n2
10-09-12, 15:11
I'm not upset about the 2008 panic buying I did. Sure it was overpriced but its better than getting hit with another 10 year ban and not having hardly any options.

Arik
10-09-12, 15:13
Its not that bad in my area but any AR around $600 doesnt last long. One LGS brought in something like 20 used DPMSs from some Nuclear power plant security co., these things were beat to shit. They were all sold within 2 weeks. Same with AKs and most guns under $300. KelTec 9mm dont last a day at $150.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Heavy Metal
10-09-12, 15:22
Whether or not you should depend on reloads for defense, you can damn sure use them for practice and training!

jet66
10-09-12, 16:38
A good read, thanks for the link! I like to go to the monthly gun show to kill some time and find a few odds and ends I want/need. I've noticed the last few times that prices have been getting stupid high on ammo and AR parts, and none of it even close to 'top tier' stuff. A lot of the 'table talk' the sellers are throwing out is the 'so-and-so will be passing such-and-such ridiculous/sweeping ban legislation,' feeding the fire.

stitch702
10-09-12, 16:59
Panic buying although good for local businesses has driven prices up through the roof. I've never seen so many people purchase so many firearms at one time during a gunshow I attented. In fact many LGS use the upcoming election scare as a tactic for advertisement and justifying selling ammo and accessories for way over their msrp. Shoot I damn near had a heart attack when I checked my local gun forum to see Wasr-10's, M&M M10's, No name cheap brand AR's going for 900 - 1000+!!!!

I can't complain though I myself am definitely guilty for panic purchasing as well. Shoot in the last 3 months I've purchased 2 colt 6920's a DDM4 LW, Sig Sauer 9mm, and am now looking for an Arsenal AK-47 to add to my collection....but then again I'm smart with my buying and always look for the cheapest price for a quality firearm...

Doc. Holiday
10-09-12, 17:39
That is a great article. I think everyone knows this info in the back of their minds, but no one is really doing anything and just going with the flow. Good reminder to use your freakin head.

Vulture38
10-09-12, 17:45
That is a great article. I think everyone knows this info in the back of their minds, but no one is really doing anything and just going with the flow. Good reminder to use your freakin head.

Agree.

BrigandTwoFour
10-09-12, 18:21
Read the article earlier today.

I will admit to making a couple purchases of twenty 30rd magazines last year after the Giffords shooting, but my "panic buying" hasn't really been a factor since.

On the other hand, I do find myself snatching things up like bulk ammo or a new lower if the opportunity presents itself. It's not that I'm afraid of government collapse or some new legislative gun grab, but I just don't want to deal with prices and availability AFTER the real panic buying starts. Naturally, that causes problems with my shooting habit. I buy a couple ammo boxes and then its gone because I shot it (the way it should be), but find myself paying more and more every time.

scottryan
10-09-12, 18:31
People are not going to be on the money losing side of the next gun ban.

While points of this article are valid. Some of us already have our collection of working guns.

We are buying guns that will be collectable and are at risk of a ban.

None of these people are fearing doomsday or an economic collapse.

F-Trooper05
10-09-12, 18:37
I don't panic about Obama taking all the guns, mags, and ammo. I panic about the 'panic buyers' taking all the guns, mags, and ammo. If someone's going to get it, it might as well be me.

jesuvuah
10-09-12, 18:38
Good article

donlapalma
10-09-12, 19:28

I was thinking the very same thing when I was reading the article. I'm just glad that I've been able to evolve from a "gun collector" to a "shooter" rather quickly. I imagine that it takes some people a very long time to "get it" if ever. I am guilty from time to time of an impulse buy, but don't think I've ever "panic" bought. I'll remember this article if I find myself getting the urge.

OP, thanks for posting.

JoshNC
10-09-12, 21:01
An interesting read, thanks for sharing it. I am a collector and a shooter. There are tools and safe queen Barbie-dolls in my collection. He makes some good points, but being both a collector and a shooter are not mutually exclusive.

TElmer2
10-09-12, 21:23
Like many of you I buy in bulk for ammo. I never bought into panic buying because I buy throughout the year and keep several cases on hand not for "prepping" but so I have it on hand for a class or don't have to run to the store to go train.

Now that I'm getting into ARs and want to train and take classes I find these prices getting out of hand like usual.

What I always do though is wait until AFTER elections...there are always those people that panic buy and they are wanting to get rid of some things. Of course you can get into it cheaper than what you would at the store or even online.

Spiffums
10-09-12, 21:43
It's almost the end of the world, we should be stocking up.. When Jesus rises he will be expecting you to have his back.

When we fight with Jesus in the end we will have cool Angel armor and that big ass broad sword! Make an AR and 5.11 gear look like barbie jeans!

I-M4-REAL
10-09-12, 21:58
'Panic Buying' is all hype and only drives prices up^!!!
This happens every Pres election year and IS all hype!!! I've NEVER fallin into "panic buying" and the RIPP-OFF prices that go along with it when it comes time for a new Pres and NEVER will!!!Remember 6920's 4 yrs ago going for $1500-1800+ and flying off the shelfs? The same 6920 today is $1000 or less!!!I say don't buy untill after the elections!

globeguy
10-10-12, 08:17
Does panic buying happen on every election year? I have been a gun owner for 6 years and I was not interested in gun/ammo prices prior to that, so I don't know if panic buying is strictly related to Obama or not.

markm
10-10-12, 09:17
I don't care what you guys say. That 50 gallon drum of BCG's buried in my yard will save me in the middle of a fire fight some day! :shout:

Phillygunguy
10-10-12, 09:53
I did my panic buy in 2008 bought my first AR a Bushmaster since sold it and bought a couple colts and a bcm I do buy bulk ammo because i find it's cheaper and I shoot a lot plus I want to have it because it's harder to get because of panic buyers, kind of a negative feedback cycle,panic buyers buy more so I buy more to stay ahead of them As far as elections go I wasn't a gun owner during the Clinton years but I'm just taking precautions because of the horror stories i heard

jet66
10-10-12, 16:27
I don't care what you guys say. That 50 gallon drum of BCG's buried in my yard will save me in the middle of a fire fight some day! :shout:

So you're the guy... My wife is wanting to build her first rifle, and some of the staples (BCG and LPK) have been hard to find lately. I suppose you have a buried drum full of DD and G&R LPKs, too.

duece71
10-10-12, 20:26
And IF the ban returns permanently?? Panic buyers may just win out completely. I remember during the old ban years, walking into a gun show in York PA in '99 and seeing the "blue label", "red label" and some "green label" Colt rifles going for $2500-$3000. Those are the 6920s of today correct??? Amazing. Would you rather pay $350/1000 of 223/5.56 or if a ban/tax comes along, $750 or more??

markm
10-11-12, 08:38
I remember during the old ban years, walking into a gun show in York PA in '99 and seeing the "blue label", "red label" and some "green label" Colt rifles going for $2500-$3000.

That's because people were complete pussies! I built everything I could to be non compliant with that homo AWB.

I went out of my way to get L.E. guns, Mags, etc.... put flash hiders on every Post Ban lower built gun I had.

Bunch of Molon Labe talk the talk, but not much Walk the walk, Jack!

C4IGrant
10-11-12, 09:15
For the most part, this election year is not like 2008. While sales are up (at least $200K for us), the consumer is being selective in what they "panic buy." In fact I don't know that panic buy is even the proper term, I call it "can't wait" syndrome. For example, hot ticket items are the S&W Shield and Colt 901's. Consumers will pay HUNDREDS of dollars over FULL RETAIL for these items.

I think part of the difference between 2008 and 2012 is that people have a lot less money in their pocket. So they just don't have the same amount of cash they once did.

C4

markm
10-11-12, 09:34
So you're the guy... My wife is wanting to build her first rifle, and some of the staples (BCG and LPK) have been hard to find lately. I suppose you have a buried drum full of DD and G&R LPKs, too.

LPKs are in a Safe Deposit Box. I only have 75 of those.

Doc. Holiday
10-11-12, 09:37

Haha, good one!

I agree with Grant. It's a bunch of people who are buying crap that they don't need and can't afford.

vicious_cb
10-11-12, 11:03
Panic buying in 2008? Hell I was panic selling. I had all the parts to build my recce, I ended up selling everything but the lower for way more than I paid for it. Then I basically rebuilt it after the panic went down. :dirol: