PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-on rails for forends

Slinger
02-08-08, 08:43
I'm looking into either buying or building a middy or carbine. Thing is, I only want to use a vertical grip on the forend, nothing else, so I'm thinking that buying a 4 rail handguard is a complete waste of money. I want some type of red dot on the receiver (I've got a 30mm Millett). My question is, are the rails that bolt on to the stock forend any good for the purpose of holding the vertical grip?

MassMark
02-08-08, 09:48
I'm looking into either buying or building a middy or carbine. Thing is, I only want to use a vertical grip on the forend, nothing else, so I'm thinking that buying a 4 rail handguard is a complete waste of money. I want some type of red dot on the receiver (I've got a 30mm Millett). My question is, are the rails that bolt on to the stock forend any good for the purpose of holding the vertical grip?

I thought this same thing when planning my build. I have seen add-on rails for the bottom of standard handguards and thought this would be a perfect way to keep the classic lines of the M4 handguard and add the utility of a rail for a vertical grip, light and perhaps an occasional bipod. Then in correspondence with Jon at Anvil Arms, it was pointed out to me that the handguards were never designed for a vertical grip and he reminded me as to how much pressure is put upon a vert grip - especially during fire. I have one on my Troy MCS and put a significant amount of pressure on it when using it, but the stock was of course designed for it - plastic M4 handguards are not. Sure you could probably get away with doing it, (they sell them) - and you might be just fine. However, think of the potential of what could happen if your handguard fails under fire.

Slinger
02-08-08, 10:26
Good point. There's always a hitch, it seems. I read somewhere that 80% of the tactical stuff marketed for the ar is junk. I'm beginning to believe it.......

Delta1067
02-08-08, 12:45
I have a rail mounted on the lower handguard on my M-4 and have a vertical foregrip mounted on this rail. I like it and think it is sturdy. It is not going to fail from just shooting. When you are on a budget, this is the way to go.

MassMark
02-08-08, 13:08
I have a rail mounted on the lower handguard on my M-4 and have a vertical foregrip mounted on this rail. I like it and think it is sturdy. It is not going to fail from just shooting. When you are on a budget, this is the way to go.

No one thinks anything will fail - until it does. When you think about the mechanics of a metal rail bolted to a plastic handguard, holding a plastic or metal vertical grip, which unless you're just balancing it on your fingertips, certainly does have force against it - especially if you're shooting tactically - failure is more than a distinct possibility. The oddsmakers in Vegas may book it in your favor that nothing will ever happen, but what if it does? I recently read a thread from a surgeon who never would have "thunk it" that his vertical grip on his Mini Uzi was going to fail either - until it did and he nearly blew his hand off, (9mm hurts according to him). I guess if you're going for tacticool and shooting at the range, a vert grip attached to a hunk of steel bolted to plastic will work just fine and give you years of use, looks great - feels great. However, if it's something that you're using even remotely tactically or may one day use to defend your life, then I'd not risk it - there's a right way and a wrong way to do most things - but that's just me.

Charles
02-08-08, 13:15
The really is no need to run a VFG, but I wouldn't do it anyways because eventually you will run into problems (guys were torqueing the RIS for Christ's sake).
Think about accuracy. You have a flimsy piece of plastic/fiberglass that’s mounted to the barrel (fsb) and you attach a lever to it. What do you thinks going to happen when you start cranking down on it?

Lonathan
02-08-08, 14:05
I actually wanted to do the exact same thing. I found a set of "boltable" rails on existing handguard. They were by NCStar and are actually pretty decent. I've got one on the bottom for my surefire m900 and it works great. Easy install too.

hellbound
02-08-08, 14:56
Midwest Industries has a whole line of bolt on rails in various lengths for standard handguards...

tkoglman
02-08-08, 19:06
If you just use your carbine for range plinking, go ahead.

If you use it for any serious work, I would not. I have had issue handguards pop off when I've taken pretty decent spills. Add the leverage of a vertical grip and I don't think it would take much of an impact to rip the handguards off and maybe even break them.

Now, if you just get it to try out the whole concept before you put down the money for a real set of rails, that would be a good idea.

I wouldn't trust it though.

Steel_Weasel
02-08-08, 19:33
I used the AAC (long) bolt-on rail for years with excellent results. Several other teammates also got them. They have gone through some pretty heavy use in training and deployments and held up great. For budget use they're not bad. Since my defense budget has grown I've relegated them to my 'trunk' gun.

RD62
02-09-08, 13:26
I haven't found that I put that much pressure on my VFG, but then I haven't used it while being shot at either, so that definately might change things. :D
I use what I have seen refered to as the Irish hold where only my last three fingers are actually on the VFG, my index finger is along the bottom of the 9:00 rail and my thumb up near the back of my light. If using a "choke the chicken" full grip on the VFG I could see where you might have an issue. I think the rails that bolt on standard handguards are good for lights, but I don't think they're the best for a VFG. If you want the grip and don't care about FF, you can get aluminum 2 piece railed handguards that are drop in replacements for the standard ones pretty reasonably. You might could even pick up a used pair off of someone whose stepping up to a FF tube.

-RD62