PDA

View Full Version : Why no pinned LP gas blocks?

skywalkrNCSU
10-10-12, 10:07
Is there a reason companies do not make low profile gas blocks that pin to the barrel like the FSP? I know you can rig up a FSP to do this (and I have) but it seems like a fairly simple product that makes more sense than a couple of set screws.

Of course there might be places selling them and I just haven't found them or there might be issues I am not aware of. Any of those more knowledgeable than me have some insight?

wahoo95
10-10-12, 10:13
LPGP can be pinned if that's what you want. They don't come pre drilled no different than FSB's

I always have mine pinned.

chrismartin
10-10-12, 10:16
Noveske barrels ship with a pinned low profile gas block.

nimdabew
10-10-12, 10:16
http://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=136

skywalkrNCSU
10-10-12, 10:26
Noveske barrels ship with a pinned low profile gas block.

Right but say I have a barrel already and want a pinned LPGB, do companies sell them or would I have to have special work done?

Now if I buy a barrel I would get one with a pinned LPGB already on it but I am sure there are plenty of people out there with an upper they are changing around and need a LPGB instead of buying a brand new barrel.

wahoo95
10-10-12, 10:34
You don't see pre drilled LPGB because it would be too hard to guarantee the holes would line up with a pre drilled barrel. This is no different than FSB's where each is pinned to a specific barrel and is not likely to match up with another barrel

skywalkrNCSU
10-10-12, 10:39
You don't see pre drilled LPGB because it would be too hard to guarantee the holes would line up with a pre drilled barrel. This is no different than FSB's where each is pinned to a specific barrel and is not likely to match up with another barrel

Gotcha, that was what I figured. Otherwise I would imagine they would be produced. Thanks.

Iraqgunz
10-10-12, 11:31
That is only true to a point if you actually look at a lopro glass block or even the front sight base you will see the hole that goes over the gas for is several times larger than the actual port itself so unless its severely canted or in the wrong position it will be fine.

wahoo95
10-10-12, 11:36
That is only true to a point if you actually look at a lopro glass block or even the front sight base you will see the hole that goes over the gas for is several times larger than the actual port itself so unless its severely canted or in the wrong position it will be fine.

Agreed IG, however I was referring to the holes drilled to mount/pin the block to the barrel and the inherent variances you can see there depending on who did the drilling and what jig was used. This can vary for some to the point that a pin from one hole may not fit the other hole with some FSB's.

jet66
10-10-12, 17:10

Agreed IG, however I was referring to the holes drilled to mount/pin the block to the barrel and the inherent variances you can see there depending on who did the drilling and what jig was used. This can vary for some to the point that a pin from one hole may not fit the other hole with some FSB's.
I apologize if I'm drifting too far off-topic, but these two replies reminded me of two questions that I had: If only one pin hole on a FSB lines up with a different bbl, and its position is such that the gas port is is a good match for the hole in the block, would it be safe to use just one pin? If it's of questionable safety/stability for an exposed FSB, what if it were cut down to be a DIY lo-pro gas block that would be covered by a rail?