PDA

View Full Version : Flat top riser A2 front sight

fuzzynutkila
10-10-12, 17:10
I just bought a piece of crap reflex sight that hasn't come yet, and I'm now realizing that my A2 front sight might get in the way. I have an LE6920 MOE with the magpul folding rear sight. It has a rail on top and forgive the question but what is a flat top? I mean, is it an upper with no rail on it at all or will the rail that's on there act as a riser? If I need to, I will buy a riser rather than deal with changing the front sight to a flip up or removable. I see risers made by UTG that are like $10-15 made of aluminum and other made of composite. I have also seen others that cost much more like the Remington for $65 and Vortex for $150. Now I'm not cheap and want to have something reliable depite my coice of reflex sight (Sightmark multi reticle reflex,$40). I thought I would try it out and see where I want to go from there as far as upgrade goes. I live in Marylan ad its hard to find a place to even see . THOUGHTS?

DeviousMind
10-10-12, 21:46
You want to get a Larue mount. I have qd tall Larue mount with a lower 1/3 witnessing with the fsb.

http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-red-dot-magnifier-mounts

Split66
10-10-12, 22:10
*Non flat top receivers have a fixed carry handle ( A2 style.) Your Colt is a "flat top". :D

If I where in your shoes I'd get the sight and try it out on your gun. See where it lines up vs the FSB. Then order a cheap riser to get you over it.

Dont invest too much at this point.

See if you like the RDS setup and then save/spring for an Aimpoint.

fuzzynutkila
10-12-12, 16:07
Thanks for the feedback, I just got it today from Amazon. It only took 2 days to ship which is great. I haven't had time to mount it to see of it clears the front sigt but I will have time tomorrow. Can't wait to shoot my Colt with it! I'm prepared for a short life expectancy on this $40 Sighmark but as I said before, I just wanted to try out an optic and start there/here. If I like it and it ends up breaking, then I will get the real deal...Leopold, Trijion or Burris fastfire II or III. If you anyone has info on these higher end reflex sights please feel free to add your 2 cents. I know Burris isn't as high quality as the other 2 but I've seen great reviews. I'm not opposed to an Aimpoint or Eotech, but I like the idea of have a wide open sight like the reflex ones.

Split66
10-12-12, 17:02
Good luck man. I think most of this community will tell you scratch the reflex and just mount an aimpoint. FOV is not a concern if you shoot both eyes open like you should :D

wahoo95
10-12-12, 17:23
To be perfectly honest with you I have Aimpoint Micros and love them, however here lately my favorite optic has become a Burris Fastfire II on a Burris AR mount. Its a very nice combination and has a great sight picture. I trust my Aimpoint for my serious rifles but the Fastfire gets plenty of use on my general purpose rifles.

polymorpheous
10-12-12, 17:57
Putting Chinese junk on a fine American rifle!
The shame!

Seriously though...
The front sight is supposed to be visible through a red dot optic.
This is what is called a cowitness.
There is an absolute cowitness, and a lower 1/3 cowitness.

An absolute will put the dot at the tip of the front sight post.
The lower 1/3 will hover the dot above the post.

Most people prefer the lower 1/3 cowitness.

Merle
10-12-12, 18:03
By buying that you added $40 to the price of an Aimpoint.