PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with an Upper

okie john
10-10-12, 17:14
I need to take an upper on a flight out-of-state for a hunting trip. It's not serial numbered and there will be no ammo with it.

Do I need to alert TSA, or should I just put it in my bag and keep quiet?

Okie John

filthy phil
10-10-12, 17:16
I need to take an upper on a flight out-of-state for a hunting trip. It's not serial numbered and there will be no ammo with it.

Do I need to alert TSA, or should I just put it in my bag and keep quiet?

Okie John
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/uzimon/mVVTB.jpg

I wouldnt say a damn thing to them. Its not. A gun

amd5007
10-10-12, 17:22
I may not share the same affinity for homeless women, but I am inclined to agree with filthy phil. Although I would take off the more sensitive items (lights, optics, etc) and stow that in a carry on.

I would think the best option, in order to avoid any delay or trouble, would be to ship the upper to a friend at your destination via UPS.

Grand58742
10-10-12, 17:33
I wouldnt say a damn thing to them. Its not. A gun

Semantics with those who don't know. While yes, the upper is not considered a firearm, I wouldn't trust the lack of ability to distinguish a firearm by TSA an inch. Personally? I'd inform the airlines of the item in question and get it sorted out before the flight. If it comes up on X-Ray or during a sniff test, at least you're covered and don't have to go through the lengthy questioning from those who may or may not know what actually constitutes a firearm, get delayed while "I contact my supervisor" and risk missing your flight because someone decided it suddenly was "a firearm." Or started searching your bags for the remainder of said rifle which isn't there.

Ounce of prevention and all that.

zack991
10-10-12, 18:00
I would think the best option, in order to avoid any delay or trouble, would be to ship the upper to a friend at your destination via UPS.

Agreed just send it UPS, verses the TSA "misplacing" your upper. Plus at least you will know it will get there and it will not become a issue with a TSA moron.

PatrolRifleGroup
10-10-12, 18:07
Not sure if you are refering to carrying the upper onto a plane inside a carry on, or packing it in a checked bag? I can tell you from experience that they won't so much as let you on the plane with even a bolt carrier group. I got my brother a a spare BCG for his deployment to A-Stan. TSA bounced it, luckily I was standing there to take possession. Otherwise he would have been forced to throw away a DD BCG! I agree with everyone else though, I would ship that upper to your buddy via UPS.

F-Trooper05
10-10-12, 18:08
I would either let them know, or ship it. Even if it's 100% legal, if TSA feels like busting your chops there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Like it or not, those ****ers have everyone by the balls.

mallowpufft
10-10-12, 18:14
The upside of checking it is that it has to be locked and inaccessible to TSA without you present. So its a great way to keep other pricey items safe. A freelance photog friend of mine always has a small pistol checked in his camera case so that he can safely check it and nothing will go missing.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

1_click_off
10-10-12, 18:17
If you are shipping, why not mail the whole rifle......

Check me because it has been a few years. Last I read up on it, you can ship a rifle to yourself as long as you are the one mailing it and opening it on the other end. Meaning you pack it, you take it to be mailed, you end up at your destination (buddy's house you mailed it to with your name on it) and you are the one that unpacks it. Same for return trip. No FFL required to do this last a checked.

Like I said, double check me incase things have changed.

ST911
10-10-12, 18:22
Who here is a frequent flyer with firearms?
Flown with an upper in checked baggage as asked?

Just sayin'.

I recommend that you UPS, Fedex, or USPS the upper to avoid the issue.

If flying I would disclose it, making it clear that it is not a firearm but parts. It is likely to be identified as a firearm and pulled for further screening if not disclosed, potentially causing unnecessary delay. If you could enclose it in a small, hard-sided TSA compliant case with locks so much the better, just to avoid issues.

mallowpufft
10-10-12, 20:20
Who here is a frequent flyer with firearms?
Flown with an upper in checked baggage as asked?

Just sayin'.

I recommend that you UPS, Fedex, or USPS the upper to avoid the issue.

If flying I would disclose it, making it clear that it is not a firearm but parts. It is likely to be identified as a firearm and pulled for further screening if not disclosed, potentially causing unnecessary delay. If you could enclose it in a small, hard-sided TSA compliant case with locks so much the better, just to avoid issues.

I used to fly with firearms a few times a year but with the new machines I now drive from VA to OK instead of flying.
As long as you identify it and have it in an airline approved locking container with locks that the tea can't open, you're good to go (no loose ammo, etc but OP said just the upper). Have to walk it over and be with it during screening in case TSA needs to see it. After that you're good to go.

But with checked baggage fees it may now be cheaper to ship.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Mjolnir
10-12-12, 08:57
You CANNOT take it aboard the plane and if they detect it in your luggage you will be unceremoniously pulled from wherever u reside.

IF you choose to fly with it declare it as if we're the completed article.

Tzook
10-12-12, 14:02
^^ That. But why bother? Just ship it!!!

JSantoro
10-12-12, 14:26
Neither TSA nor the airline counter-workers care one bit if it's a serialized part or not...

...partially because none of them are highly evolved enough primates to know what that means, but mostly because they just don't make the distinction.

If you don't just ship it, that's gonna be "checked baggage," and this stickied thread becomes relevant reading: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86345