PDA

View Full Version : How long is a gas tube?

Country DeVil
10-10-12, 22:02
I just ordered a new mid length gas tube because I messed up my last one by being stupid. Now that the new one is here it is too long, so my question is how long is a mid length gas tube? the one that came in the mail is 11 3/4"

here is what I found from cheaper than dirt is this right?

There are four main lengths of AR-15 gas systems in use today: Pistol, Carbine, Mid, and Rifle. Each one of these gas systems require different length gas tubes and handguards, so it is important to know which one you have before ordering parts for your AR-15. If you don’t know what size rifle you have, it is fairly easy to determine by simply measuring the length of your handguards or gas tube.

Pistol-Length

The pistol-length gas system is used almost exclusively on AR-15 pistols or AR-15 rifles that have very short barrels, usually 10″ in length or less. These systems generally have a gas tube of approximately 4.5”. The handguards or free-float tubes for these systems are generally between 3”-4” in length. Some people are now installing low-profile gas blocks and carbine length free-float handguards so that they can have a longer and more comfortable forearm grip area.

Carbine-Length

The carbine-length gas system, combined with barrel lengths from approximately 10”-18”, is perhaps one of the most common setups across all types of AR-15 rifles. Carbine gas tubes are approximately 7.5” long, which means that the handguards will be approximately 6.5”-7” long, such as the Mako Handguard and Rails System, the Daniel Defense Omega Quad Rail, and the Midwest Industries Carbine Forearm.

Mid-Length

Mid-length gas systems have become quite popular, and are most commonly used with barrels from 14”-20” in length. They give the shooter a longer sight radius and reduce some of the wear and tear on the upper receiver. Mid-length gas tubes are approximately 9.5” and require a handguard around 8.5”-9” in length. Choices for handguards of this length include the UTG Free-Float Mid-Length Quad-Rail and the UTG 2-Piece Quad-Rails.

Rifle-Length

Rifle-length gas tubes are generally about 13” long, requiring handguards ranging from 11.5”-12” long. These are usually found on rifles with barrels 20” in length and longer. If you’re looking for replacement handguards for a rifle-length system, check out the UTG Free-Float Rifle Quad-Rail, the UTG 2-Piece Quad-Rails, the AR Carbon Fiber Free-Float Tube, and the Yankee Hill 2-Piece Quad-Rail

justin_247
10-10-12, 23:13
I just ordered a new mid length gas tube because I messed up my last one by being stupid. Now that the new one is here it is too long, so my question is how long is a mid length gas tube? the one that came in the mail is 11 3/4"

That's a mid-length tube. How did you decide that it was too long?

If it is too long, then you don't have a mid-length rifle... most likely it's a carbine-length tube you need.

BCmJUnKie
10-10-12, 23:23
A carbine length gas tube is a little over 9"

I dont own a middy but I imagine it would be around 11 1/2"??

BCmJUnKie
10-10-12, 23:25
T10 on your reciever is where the gas tube ends.

Measure from there, to your FSB and you will have the length you need

GeorgiaBoy
10-10-12, 23:32
7", 9" and 12" are the HANDGAURD lengths for the carbine, mid length, and rifle length gas systems.

Like BCMJunkie said, since the gas tube sticks into the FSB a little ways and into the upper receiver a little ways, the gas tube for the respective handgaurd length will be about a couple of inches longer than the handgaurd length.

So, a mid length gas tube should be 11 3/4 inches long.

Carbine length gas tube measures 9 3/4"
Midlength gas tube measures 11 3/4"
Rifle length gas tube measures 15 1/8"

If it doesn't fit, you have a carbine-length.. Do you mind posting a picture if capable?

Country DeVil
10-11-12, 09:32
sounds like I ordered the wrong thing, thanks guys.
Ill put up some pics when I get a chance, hopefully today.

Country DeVil
10-11-12, 14:25
Here are some quick pics

or not. i'll try again

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UC3NVQTaq70/UHcencS2kSI/AAAAAAAAD70/-3Dl43y-Mww/s709/20121011_101028.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ATZpArEUE-o/UHcenVsK-dI/AAAAAAAAD70/icZWyAVGN80/s709/20121011_101035.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6e5GVoBaDR0/UHcenas7TVI/AAAAAAAAD70/qJemgEmRtEU/s709/20121011_101245.jpg

Country DeVil
10-11-12, 17:32
looks like that worked.

i ordered a carbine tube, hopefully that solves my problem

GeorgiaBoy
10-11-12, 17:40
Yep, you definitely have a carbine-length gas system.

BH321
10-11-12, 19:11
The ones on Cheaper Than Dirt are made by DPMS and while it is pretty hard to mess up a gas tube I still wouldn't trust them, especially when you can get a Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) gas tube for less from Bravo Company USA (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-carbine-gas-tube-p/gas%20tube%20-%20carbine.htm).

Country DeVil
10-11-12, 23:35
I dont really trust cheaper than dirt, thats why I was asking you guys.

I ordered a carbine length gas tube from G and R Tactical, I heard they are not retarded haha.

Iraqgunz
10-12-12, 01:12
Actually you can mess up a gas tube. There are dimension that are required to be adhered to. Things like the port opening, the tip of the tube and how it seals into the gas key, etc....

The ones on Cheaper Than Dirt are made by DPMS and while it is pretty hard to mess up a gas tube I still wouldn't trust them, especially when you can get a Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) gas tube for less from Bravo Company USA (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-carbine-gas-tube-p/gas%20tube%20-%20carbine.htm).

BH321
10-12-12, 10:49
Actually you can mess up a gas tube. There are dimension that are required to be adhered to. Things like the port opening, the tip of the tube and how it seals into the gas key, etc....

In addition to the material composition of the metal, the manufacturing processes used, and the effect of tolerance stacking amongst other issues. I suppose I probably should have been more precise and said that while the DPMS tube is unlikely to be dangerously messed up (just like an overgassed Bushmaster barrel won't necessarily lead to catastrophic failures), it won't do you any favors as far as reliability is concerned. As such it would be advisable to get a higher quality tube from a company like BCM, LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, or Colt.

Now that I think about it hasn't this topic come up before Iraqgunz? I think it was in relation to Melonited gas tubes or something of that nature. I'll have to go back and find the thread as I learned a lot from it at the time.

freebug
10-12-12, 11:17
I think from your pictures, you have a carbine - it was never a mid-length. Take your old gas tube and measure it to the new one and if the new carbine one you ordered is the same as your old one - you've confirmed that you have a carbine gas system.

You should return the gas tube and get your money back.