PDA

View Full Version : Inherented a Winchester Model 24 Need Help

Brian Brazier
10-10-12, 23:34
Dad gave me a Winchester Model 24 from 1940 that hasn't been cleaned in a longtime, does anyone know how to take this side by side apart?

M4Fundi
10-11-12, 01:17
Take down or complete disassembly?

I have a Winchester Mod 21 and I believe the take down is the same. Disassembly is for a VERY qualified gunsmith knowledgeable on Winchester SxS shotguns (unless your a gutsy DIY type).

Brian Brazier
10-11-12, 10:44
Takedown, I need to get the barrels off so I can clean everything, but I am not sure how the come off.

M4C
10-19-12, 20:01
First let me say that I have ZERO experience with a Winchester 24, but a great many single- and double-barreled break-action shotguns take down by removing the forend wood. Sometimes the forend is held on by a lever/latch around the center of its bottom side, sometimes by a single screw at that location, and sometimes just by spring tension from a small latch completely hidden by the wood. With the hidden spring tension latch, just pull down on the front of the forend and it will snap right off. Once the forend is off, just break open the gun as if to reload and the two halves should separate at the hinge.

Good luck.

Brian Brazier
10-19-12, 21:16
Thanks for the reply, I got it apart finally, the forend wood is held on with a spring latch, I found that out the hard way when I unscrewed the wood, which was a pain to get back on. Got her all cleaned up and went to put it back together and noticed the release latch isnt working correctly, so my gunsmith has it. He assured me it just needs some minor adjustment, fix a small crack in the forearm, and make sure its still safe to shoot. If everything is gtg, I am gonna go skeet shooting for the first time in 15yrs, I use to go with my Dad every weekend, I dont remember why we stopped going, maybe we can make that a weekly event again.

M4C
10-20-12, 00:48
Sorry I didn't see this and reply sooner. Sounds like it could have saved you some hassle.

xrayoneone
10-20-12, 00:56
Congrats on your 24. I have two and I feel they are the best side by side for the money. Most I see were shot very little and usually sell between $400-$600 with the smaller guages going for more. I haven't seen one yet that shows the use that I see on many Model 12s or 97s from the same era. I spent $350 for one and $400 for the other and aside from some blueing wear near the muzzle both looked darn near brand new.

Shoot it tons and keep your eyes open for strikers, springs etc. you may never need them but they're good parts to have as spares.

Brian Brazier
10-20-12, 01:33
No problem M4c, my gunsmith is a good friend, usually charges me next to nothing for work thats not to involved. I love the 24, mine was made in 1940, bought new by my Great Grandfather, passed down to my Grandfather in 58, my Dad inherited it in 68 when his Dad passed suddenly, and October 2012 it was passed to me. Other than a couple minor things it works great, ther spacing between the barrels and face is super tight, no bulging in the barrels, a solid shooter. I also got my Dads Winchester 94 and Mossberg 51d(? cant remember Mossy model # off hand, its a .22lr tube fed 15shot semiauto) both are in excellent condition, the Mossy has a super light trigger, I have to be careful cause I can rip though 15rds in no time (range likes 1sec between shots).