PDA

View Full Version : East German vs Romanian

Doc. Holiday
10-11-12, 11:27
I've got a buddy who is looking to put on a wire stock onto his WASR. He asked me about some of his wire stock options and I told him that there was East German, Romanian, and I think Polish. I told him I would rather go with the East German or Romanian wire folder. He then asked me if there was going to be any gun smithing involved because he has a solid stock AK. I told him I didn't think so. I want to get a second opinion before he buys one and then we later find out it needs modification. Has anyone installed one of these stocks on their own? Easy? Hard? Which one is better quality the East German wire stock or the Romanian?

Moose-Knuckle
10-11-12, 12:29
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/WireFolders.jpg

If your friend has an AKM (common stamped receiver) then yes these stocks are plug and play. Simply remove the standard buttstock and install the folder. A lot of these folders are sold with out screws. He will need 5mm x 8mm flat head machine screws if they don't come with the stock.

MountainRaven
10-11-12, 12:35
Installed an unissued EGerman surplus wire folder on my SGL. It was fairly easy, but I knew what I was doing with it (it came unassembled), although I think that if you have a decent mind for mechanics and an exploded drawing of the thing, it's pretty easy to figure out. You will have to remove your pistol grip, FYI.

I've played with the Romanian version. The EGerman one is longer and LOP is just about perfect for me while the Romanian one was too short... And I can usually get along just fine with most any LOP. Quality seems higher on the EGerman one, too, although that is probably due at least in part to the Romanian being used surplus, instead of unissued surplus.

I would buy the EGerman one any day of the week, twice on Sunday, and thrice on holidays. I would rather not have a folding stock than have the Romanian one (and I <3 folding stocks).

One word of warning if he does go EGerman: lubricate the hinge. It is very tight when new. Even mine, two years later, is very tight. It is, of course, very solid when locked into either the folded or unfolded position, though.

Peshawar
10-11-12, 13:35
Not sure about how the East German manufacture applies specifically to your question, but I just put together a Khyber on an East German AKM kit and the machining quality of the parts was absolutely the best I've ever seen. Beautifully cut steel. I'm guessing that the East German version of just about anything mechanical would be far superior to its Romanian equivalent. Just my opinion though. ;)

Doc. Holiday
10-11-12, 15:05
Awesome picture! I've never seen that before. I will have to ask him what receiver he has. I was planning on doing the same in the near future. I was looking at my AK's and I wanted to do something different. I didn't really want to touch my Polytech or my Arsenal so I figured I would give my WASR a make over as well sometime. I have a cugir 1063 I believe. So it should work for me, again I will have to check his receiver and see what he has.

Thanks for your help guys!