PDA

View Full Version : Video: AAC SCAR-SD silencer with 100 round mag dump

rsilvers
09-02-06, 23:52
Do not try this -- it can cause injury or death and is not normal use nor covered by the warranty. Barrels of this length are spewing unburned powder. Use 10 inches or longer for anything real.

High Def (RIGHT click and save to disk)
http://www.pallettassociates.com/videos/SCAR-SD-BetaHD.wmv

Low Def
http://www.pallettassociates.com/videos/SCAR-SD-BetaSD.wmv

The suppressor had no damage except that nearly all of the finish vaporized. There were no baffle strikes. The blast baffle was fine, and the end cap had no errosion.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6351/clipboard01jl8.jpg

Nitrox
09-03-06, 00:41
It seems a bit immature to mock Steve from ADCO.

Racer
09-03-06, 01:03
Robert -- that is nuts. The detonation and the flames around the mag would have really tightened me up. It seems like when doing R&D that is dangerous it might be a good idea to use a fixture and remotely fire the gun.

rsilvers
09-03-06, 11:01
My only suggestion to Steve is that he wear more safety gear. A can rupturing at 1800 degrees might cause some molten metal fragments to spray.

Nitrox
09-03-06, 11:20
My only suggestion to Steve is that he wear more safety gear.
Get real Robert, if you're going have the sack to make fun of someone then have the sack to admit what you're doing.

How many mags did you put through that can before the Beta? Lets see the inside of the can.

Thors ~ Hammer
09-03-06, 11:41
Let's keep it polite guys. Everyone is allowed to express their own opinion. Shooting guns is dangerous.

Derek_Connor
09-03-06, 12:01
Wow. now understand Nitrox's comments.

I am in the process of finding my first silencer...what is the popular phrase? Vote w/your wallet? Atleast I know who I am not going to vote for...

bigbore
09-03-06, 12:22
My only suggestion to Steve is that he wear more safety gear. A can rupturing at 1800 degrees might cause some molten metal fragments to spray.

When I went to the range that day, I had no intention attaching a beta mag. Someone else there had the beta mag, and I though it would be cool. The worst thing I expected was a baffle strike from the heat.

My can was already hot and baked the alumahide off before the beta mag. I didnt expect it to get red, and had I seen it turn red I would have stopped immediately.

In the end the OPS can bulged 50 thousandts(total) out the sides and 25 thousandths(total) on the top and bottom where it turned orange. It seems to have had no effect on how it suppresses or accuracy.

I have no intention of ever doing it again with any suppressor on a barrel that short.

Interesting where any thread related to a suppressor goes. I have received a few emails calling bullshit on my video - the mag must not have been full, I shot in bursts so it doesnt mean as much, the can was destroyed and didnt really shoot those groups.

I just did it during a day at the range, spending ammo with friends.

If someone thinks the AAC is a better can, great. I sell what I believe are good products. I sell the AAC SCAR-SD, which I make much more money on than I do the OPS cans, so it dont bother me if I sell more AAC:)

Buy what you want, for my own "cool" factor I like OPS cans.

Patrick Aherne
09-03-06, 12:49
I didn't know Billy Bob Thornton was a fan of suppressors:D .

Nitrox
09-03-06, 13:34
A few observations:

1) KG/Norrells looks horrible when it burns off...thus why it shouldn't be on suppressors.

2) There sure is a lot of port and muzzle fire coming from that rifle/can combo.

3) There is probably a reason why the inside of the can is not being shown.

4) A floppy rubber glove is not "Safety Gear."

rsilvers
09-03-06, 19:23
A few observations:

1) KG/Norrells looks horrible when it burns off...thus why it shouldn't be on suppressors.

2) There sure is a lot of port and muzzle fire coming from that rifle/can combo.

3) There is probably a reason why the inside of the can is not being shown.

4) A floppy rubber glove is not "Safety Gear."

I was not making fun of ADCO. I wanted to make the video because I enjoyed theirs, and because a guy on AR-15 said "I dont think an AAC SCAR-SD would hold up. That could be a health hazzard but may be fun to find out."

1. We tried Cerekote and it is softer than KG and skuffs easily. So KG is better most of the time. Black Oxide offers no salt-spray protection and does not look very good even when new.

2. Yes. I wish I had videod the flash/concussion without the can on it. It is a-mazing. It would really show how punishing a 7.5 can be. The flames from the magwell is unburned powder detonating. It builds up in the can. Another suppressor maker told me he has blown up a few cans from that. A 7.5 is just a novelty rifle and I only use it for extreme testing. My real rifles are 10.5 or more.

3. There was no damage in the can and no baffle strikes either. This was just a warm-up video with my old can. I will make sure to photograph the new can that I put more than one Beta through. I am worried about the rifle though and think it may melt the barrel.

4. That is a 500+ degree Silicon mitt. Silicon is used for the plumbing that connects a turbo charger to the intercooler on a car. It is amazing stuff and stays much cooler than my leather welding gloves.

BTW, it is not luck that the can did not melt. That was designed into it with very specific choices of materials and structures. If I ever find a way to make one melt, I will further have the design tuned so that the rifle always breaks before the can.

Nitrox
09-03-06, 22:16
Nevermind, its not worth arguing with Robert.

Punching out.

Thors ~ Hammer
09-04-06, 10:47
Last edited by Nitrox : Yesterday at 11:33 PM. Reason: Edited out of respect for M4C

Thank You.

SuicideHz
09-04-06, 11:54
It looks like one of those silicone oven mitts my fiance and I put on our registry at target.

Yes silicone tubing is used in the plumbing between components in a turbocharged car but that doesn't mean it will stop molten shrapnel in the event the barrel or suppressor blow. It's used because it is flexible, won't get old and crack and can handle the pressure- not so that it can contain turbo compressor impellers and parts if one decides to blow.

SuicideHz
09-04-06, 11:58
Ok, just downloaded and finished watching.

Robert- don't do that again. Like it was mentioned before, use a fixture and make a box like those goofs on mythbusters do. It will be a fun project that I know you will enjoy. Then you can use it over and over for tests like that. At least remotely fire your first attempt at anything like that. LaRue makes tough stuff, but that baseball cap, your motorcycle jacket and oven mit wouldn't have prevented you from getting injured if anything had gone wrong. It looks like you were worried about getting burnt. Looking at that video, an explosion looked possible and usually explosions inolve high speed metal, none of which your gear could have helped you with.

rsilvers
09-04-06, 13:53
I will make a plexi shield next time. I intend to do many more rounds with the next one.

SuicideHz
09-04-06, 18:11
I'm also disappointed in the grammar mistakes in the text of the video...

Shame on you...

SHIVAN
09-05-06, 10:28
Waiting on Darwin to rear his head. :eek:

SuicideHz
09-05-06, 12:25
After that first string, explosion, pause and then stare at the camera, I really think robert "made" something in his pants.

rsilvers
09-05-06, 12:33
I am making a polycarbonate shield. I want to try a silencer with Grade-2 Titanium construction or parts. Also I am looking to try some thread-together with Locktite 303 stainless models.

SHIVAN
09-05-06, 12:41
Do you have a proper test firing fixture to remotely fire the weapon??

If not, the shield is a moot point as you will probably lose a hand/arm/fingers in an incident of the type shown in your video.

KevinB
09-05-06, 14:21
Well this is one of the stupidest threads ever.

Having withnessed PDW suppressor testing in M16FOW from 4" to 12.5" I can ensure you this is not a good way to keep ones digits in place.

Proper testing facilties will have both remote weapon stations AND and ensured barrel and bullet bank to ensure that in the event of a (inevitable) failure that the testor is not destroyed along with the weapon system undergoing test to destruction.

Third point -- the baffels inside the can will be covered in copper and lead at the very minimum and likley suffered some nifty errosion.
Large bouts of suppressed weapon fire is bets left to Hollywood movie magic rather than testing for any serious operation -- even in belt fed systems.

rsilvers
09-05-06, 14:31
What was the outcome of the PDW suppressor testing? What suppressors were tested. What where the specifics of each test (barrel length, and number of rounds + duty cycle), and what were the results?

I will make a remote test fixture for the next one.

KevinB
09-05-06, 15:13
I cant really comment on the suppressor testing -- other than it fizzled for naught when NATO descided that in the face of reason they wanted 5.7

BBl length was from 4" to 12.5"
5k rounds
in various forms --

There where about 17 different suppressor companies represented.

My own personal beleifs are that it proved
1) Dont get a 5.56mm PDW (or any PDW for that matter)
2) if you did not listen to #1 what suppressor you get is irrelevant

In a PDW you should not be planning on engaging in huge round count firefights, suppression is nice but not the overriding factor.

9" and shorter AR barrels are not long enough to allow the suppressor to act as a meaningful flash hider.

Suppression in SBR and GP weapons should be designed along allowing to mitigate weapon signature (flash and noise) - but most importanlty not to overly encumber the weapon - minimal zero change and an easy enough to remove system when its hot.
I have a dim view of automatic fire from carbines or PDW's so that is low on my list of priorities.
Even suppressed belt feds (of which I am a big big fan) dont need excessive round count ability.

Robert -- even a workbench with a plexi-shield and a mechnical actualor for the trigger would work and provide visibility to film.

rsilvers
09-05-06, 16:25
Yes I agree with all that. I always made fun of my friend for owning a 7.5", but then I asked if I could borrow it to pick a purposely harsh test.

Did you find that some of the suppressors were destroyed by the short barrels?

rsilvers
09-05-06, 20:01
Here is the remote fixture I made:

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/Projects/IMG_5670.sized.jpg

rsilvers
09-08-06, 16:45
Today I got my test-rig working. Here is a short clip from today:

http://www.silencertests.com/videos/scar-clip.wmv

The problem is, the 7.5 inch upper was not getting through an entire Beta. We fired about 250 rounds fullauto through the 7.5 on this brand-new can before giving up, and switching to the HK-416 upper.

On the 416 upper, we got 2.5 Beta mags through it, all full auto. After the first mag, the can was 850 degrees. After the second mag, the can was glowing red -- and this was mid-day in sunlight! It was HOT. Well, guess what? I put a third mag through it without delay. The can survived and looks fine. The suppressor was 1300+ degrees before the final mag and 1550 after the final mag. The gun jammed on the final mag, and we stopped. I counted 52 rounds left in the mag -- so the total round count of the second attempt on the HK was 248, full auto, as fast as possible.

So in total the can got 500 or so full auto rounds through it this session on a 7.5 and 10.3.

Guess what? I am bummed cause I screwed up the camera and do not have this on video. :( I will do it again later though as the can is in nice condition to repeat this another day.

Here are the 'after' photos:

The blast baffle has that sand-blasted look. A normal barrel length would go a long way toward reducing this. This is a macro lens though, and my camera is really sharp.

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/AAC/SCAR_baffle.sized.jpg

This is an after photo. Yes, after. This can had the SCARMOR coating.

Once again, this can was glowing red in daylight, 1550 degrees F.

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/AAC/SCAR_after.sized.jpg

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/AAC/SCAR_after2.sized.jpg

KevinB
09-11-06, 15:49
Robert,

I'd get a lexan sheild for your box.

Interesting results -- I would be worried the metal in the suppressor may not be as resilient now due to the temps that where exerted on it.

blackwind
09-12-06, 18:03
Dumb, full hardly and just asking for trouble? Maybe. :p

I am however impressed by the suppressors survival.

SuicideHz
09-12-06, 23:10
Has anyone sent Shivan a link to this thread so he can see how this picture looks almost exactly like his M4-2k did when Kevin said it was because he was firing bad ammo?

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/AAC/SCAR_baffle.sized.jpg

Robert- when you are done testing- I think you should put 2 12" subwoofers in that box and throw it in your trunk!

Boom
09-12-06, 23:55
Robert- when you are done testing- I think you should put 2 12" subwoofers in that box and throw it in your trunk!

Hahaha that's just cold. :D

SHIVAN
09-13-06, 07:47
Has anyone sent Shivan a link to this thread so he can see how this picture looks almost exactly like his M4-2k did when Kevin said it was because he was firing bad ammo?

Two things different about how mine got to look similar to that:

1) The can was not run on full auto, due to M16A1 suffering bolt bounce with 11.5" upper and wrong buffer.

2) I don't own a 5.56/.223 beta mag, and I wasn't "tac'ed" out so mag reloads were from the table next to me. So loading intervals would have been sufficient to allow some cooling.

Also, apparently my bad lot of ammo is said to have disintegrated between the muzzle of the weapon and the blast baffle. Oddly though, there were no loose items in the can when it came off. There was also only fairly minor damage to the muzzle of the can. So either the biggest chunk of the disintegrated bullet stayed concentric to the bore, or something else may have happened.

To AAC's credit, they did not want to belabor the point and did not accept 180rds of ammo from the bad lot for testing. They simply replaced the can. :)

SuicideHz
09-13-06, 11:50
Credit? You mean to say we should give them credit for not arguing further? OK. I will.

Nitrox
09-14-06, 21:53
They don't look the same to me. One looks like the baffle melted and the other looks like it was abused with a beta mag.

http://i10.tinypic.com/4bjl6za.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/4i6rbxt.jpg

SuicideHz
09-15-06, 09:53
So what's your official conclusion Nitrox?

Nitrox
09-15-06, 10:00
So what's your official conclusion Nitrox?

My official conclusion is buy your suppressor from someone honest and forthcoming.

Voodoochild
09-15-06, 10:28
Ok so I just saw the video and I want to put my 2 cents in on this. Steve you're a ****ing mad man!! Dont change..

kevin/aac
09-15-06, 21:49
My official conclusion is buy your suppressor from someone honest and forthcoming.

Good thing that he did.

Nitrox
09-16-06, 00:32
Yeah, good thing.