PDA

View Full Version : First coyote hunt today

C-grunt
10-11-12, 17:26
Today was my first coyote hunt and while I didnt get anything I learned a couple good leasons and Im hooked.

My good friend took me. Both of us were using ARs with iron sights. Mine is a Colt 6920 and his is a Daniel Defense middy.

We headed out just at dawn and hiked about a mile back into the desert a little north of Phoenix. It was cool and rained a bit which probably helped us with scent and noise control.

The terrain north of Phoenix is mountains and valleys with large washes scattered around the valleys. The brush and growth is pretty thick so most places will limit your shots to around 50 yards unless you want to climb a mountain and snipe.

We set up at our first spot and I get all nice and hidden under a tree. first learned lesson is to always be sure you can see your call and have a decently clear shot down to the area where its at. From where I was at to where the call was there was a slight downhill angle the gradually got steeper. When the dog came in to investigate the call I could only see the top of his back and his ears because of the curve of the slope and the brush. The only way I could get a shot on him was to stand up which alerted the dog. I fired two quick shots at him while he was running but missed him. He was only about 20 yards away but I only had about 3 seconds to stand up and fire before he made it to cover.

Our second spot was a really nice one in an open area probably about 75 yards wide. A dog came in quickly but must have seen or smelled us and took off before he got into the kill zone.

The third place was in the middle of a thicket of Mesquite trees. We found a small clearing in the middle of the thicket and placed the call. After a couple minutes a dog came in from behind me. He got to within 10 yards of us but I couldnt see him because of a large cactus to my side. My friend tried to snap the gun up and pop him but his sling snagged on part of his ghillie suit. the dog then took off into the bush. I saw a glimpse of his head running away and I took a snap shot double tap at him but I missed again.

Hunting this morning really showed me some weaknesses I have with my rifle. Mostly quickly acquiring a moving target and getting fast accurate shots off with iron sights. Next time I might bring my other rifle that has and Aimpoint on it and I think Ill do better then.

Packman73
10-11-12, 17:57
I love to hunt coyotes. Let me know if you ever need someone to go with. ;)

farmhard
10-11-12, 18:54
in my area (eastern kansas) we hunt open prairie to heavy timber. sometimes we set the call behind us 20 feet or so. seems to get closer to the action. might try the old scatter gun to. good luck hope you nail them next time

SkyPup
10-11-12, 18:56
Nice report, I am sure you will be doing better as time goes on.

Coyotes are the ultimate predator hunt as they have excellent senses, wind and movement both play an important role.

As always, you "hunt" for hours and the opportunities, when they arise, are only seconds at best, trust your instincts.

C-grunt
10-11-12, 19:12
in my area (eastern kansas) we hunt open prairie to heavy timber. sometimes we set the call behind us 20 feet or so. seems to get closer to the action. might try the old scatter gun to. good luck hope you nail them next time

We contemplated bringing a shotgun but decided not to as we were doing a very mobile and long hunt today, zig zagging across several large washes. We tried to stay light to not wear us out.

zacii
10-11-12, 20:44
Any coyote hunt where you get opportunities is a good hunt.

I've been 'yote hunting 4 or 5 times; all unsuccessful.

Were you using an electronic caller? Do you use a decoy?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

JR TACTICAL
10-11-12, 21:16
And you sons a' bitches didn't invite me:(

C-grunt
10-11-12, 22:24
And you sons a' bitches didn't invite me:(

We weren't lighting stuff on fire. :)

Actually was kinda a last minute thing.

C-grunt
10-11-12, 22:25
Any coyote hunt where you get opportunities is a good hunt.

I've been 'yote hunting 4 or 5 times; all unsuccessful.

Were you using an electronic caller? Do you use a decoy?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

My friend has an electric call. My friend hunted for almost a year unsuccessful. He said the calls have helped tremendously.

JR TACTICAL
10-11-12, 23:14
We weren't lighting stuff on fire. :)

Actually was kinda a last minute thing.

LOL! That's cool, just giving you crap. next time give me a call, as long as im off im in!!!

nineteenkilo
10-12-12, 15:04
From my experiences here in Alabamastan, it is easiest to use a small handheld siren to locate the yotes. From there, I can pick a likely approach into the area and set up a viable hide.

The electronic callers work amazingly well here.

jmnielsen
11-29-12, 08:06
The electronic calls these days are amazing. They sound so real. Bought a new foxpro last year because i get tired of using mouth calls, and I called in probably 50% more coyotes and bobcats with that than I ever did with a mouth call.