PDA

View Full Version : 1st Precision AR-15

friendlyfireisnt
10-11-12, 19:54
Been wanting a precision AR for a few years, and I am finally going to add one to the stable. I shot a LR precision match a few years ago with a basic precision bolt rifle, and immediately saw the benefit that the guys with precision AR's had. My goal is to be able to shoot out to 600 yards. Anything beyond 600 is gravy.

I've got a lower, and a LPK en route, and a budget of $2,500 for the rest. That's going to include optics, upper, stock, trigger, optic mount, bipod, etc.

Almost everything is picked out, just waiting for a bonus from work (which I get in a few weeks) in order to pull the trigger.

I keep going back and forth on the upper though. My choices are between a BCM SS410 in 16" and a RRA Predator Pursuit 20".

I'm a huge fan of BCM, I've had 3 uppers and a lower from them, and I know the quality is fantastic. I've heard the accuracy is awesome as well.

The RRA I have also heard the accuracy is fantastic, and the extra barrel length is both a bonus and a possibly a hinderance, depending on how one looks at it.

One one hand, the extra barrel length is going to add weight. On the flip side, since I will be reloading, the extra velocity should give me a little wiggle room when I choose my load. I can focus more on accuracy and less on hitting the max load for velocity.

Any thoughts? Any used the Predator Pursuit on this site? I'm leaning more to the BCM, but see a few advantages to the RRA configuration.

Japeatr
10-11-12, 19:59
I love my predator pursuit!

Best thing for accuracy tho, hand load your rounds

Japeatr
10-11-12, 20:17
I love my predator pursuit!

Best thing for accuracy tho, hand load your rounds

2nd.amendment
10-12-12, 16:46
Those are interesting options and seemingly quite different. Can you elaborate on why those are the two you feel best fit your needs?

Is it that you consider the BCM to be the best option at 16 and the RR the best 20 option?

friendlyfireisnt
10-12-12, 18:27
Those are interesting options and seemingly quite different. Can you elaborate on why those are the two you feel best fit your needs?

Is it that you consider the BCM to be the best option at 16 and the RR the best 20 option?

Yup. I'm mainly leaning towards the BCM option. I occasionally have moments of weakness that lead me down the RRA path though.

I want a relatively lightweight and compact precision rifle, capable of shooting accurately out to 600 yards.

A 16" is seemingly perfect for my needs. I had thought about getting a 18", but after reading a bit, I've decided either to do a 16" or a 20".

The advantage in my mind to the 20" is that when I handload, I won't always have to focus on having my loads at max in order to reach out to 600. If I find an accuracy load that also happens not to be a max load, I might have a little more leeway with the 20" than the 16".

There is also the cost difference. I know that BCM makes some of the best products out there, I've owned quite a bit from them. But this isn't a hard use fighting carbine. I already have a 1st line carbine (Rainier upper/BCM lower), and a backup carbine (BCM 16" Middy on the lower I am building for the precision rig). So for a pure precision rig, the RRA is tempting. Especially at the lower cost.

2nd.amendment
10-12-12, 19:44
Makes sense, the 20" will give you a little more room to work with, though I don't think the 16" is likely a handicap, practically speaking.

Not trying to talk you into something different, but if you build with the BCM barrel (or White Oak) you should be able to come in at about the same price as the RR (i.e., sub $700, depending on rail). That might be a good compromise, in that you could build or have an upper built that would be as accurate as the factory built BCM upper, but potentially less money (similar to the RR in cost). Still wouldn't address the velocity/reloading issue but would address the cost to some extent.

For example, you could choose your own rail and potentially save weight and money. BCM (for now) has the 16 SS barrel in stock or I believe Adco has 16" WOA in stock. BCM has set-screw YHM gas blocks for $22, something like a Midwest Industries Gen 2 FF or Troy Alpha rail ($150-$175), forged upper (<$100), muzzle device, BCG, etc should be around $700. If you went with a plain tube similar to the RRA, I think the prices would be pretty comparable.

I personally would go the 16" route, but either way, it should be fun. You can't really loose.

Curious about your optic and trigger choice, since it sounds like you have those details mapped out.

devinsdad
10-12-12, 22:28
Look at some of the other big barrel makers out there. Shilen, rock Creek, Lothar-Walther and the like. The barrel and trigger are going to give you the biggest gains in accuracy. The tube isn't the place to skimp when you are assembling a precision rig. Best of luck, a really accurate rifle is one of those that's on my " to do" list.

friendlyfireisnt
10-12-12, 23:27
I've thought about building up from parts, but I don't feel real confident doing that at this point. I don't have the tools or experience to really do that on my own. I wish I did, and I know I should learn, but this doesn't feel like the right project to learn on.

Basically, I have a work bonus that kicks in a few weeks from now, and my wife and I negotiated that I would get $2,500 for the project. I don't want to throw that money away by screwing up a build.

TehLlama
10-13-12, 14:01
BCM SS as a complete upper is going to be better for this use, if you want something in the RRA price range, then try Rainier for their precision stainless units.