PDA

View Full Version : AK DVDs???

amadeus76
10-12-12, 05:20
Anyone have any recommendations for good training DVDs? At the moment I'm specifically considering either one of Sonny's DVDs or Haley's disk... For those that have seen them, how do they compare? Which would you recommend? In what ways is Sonny's 'Beyond the Firearm' and his Panteao DVD differ?

Doc. Holiday
10-12-12, 09:08
I haven't seen Sonny's dvd yet, but I do own Haley's AK and it wasn't bad. I learned a few things, but most of it was review for me. (Just because I've been using my AK's as a primary for years now) I really liked how Travis broke down the AK's zero and what to expect as far as hitting center mass at certain distances and where the bullet is going to drop.

DD236
10-12-12, 09:17
Anyone have any recommendations for good training DVDs? At the moment I'm specifically considering either one of Sonny's DVDs or Haley's disk... For those that have seen them, how do they compare? Which would you recommend? In what ways is Sonny's 'Beyond the Firearm' and his Panteao DVD differ?

I've watched both Panteao Productions videos (Travis Haley and Sonny Puzikas). I think both are excellent videos, however, they do differ in their philosophy's on certain aspects of how to run the AK platform. I took what works for me from both videos and I've definitely improved. Note: I don't even own an AK but am a student of weapons manipulation. I take in any info possible and translate it to M4 and pistol platforms.

Jippo
10-12-12, 09:45
I don't like many of the things Puzikas does as there is too much dog & pony show aspect to it. I do like many things that Haley does because it is simple and it does work. I do not necessarily like how Gabriel Suarez presents himself or what kind of a person he seems to be, but there is a lot of usable stuff in his AK videos too.

amadeus76
10-12-12, 09:51
I do not necessarily like how Gabriel Suarez presents himself or what kind of a person he seems to be, but there is a lot of usable stuff in his AK videos too.

1) I've seen Suarez's stuff and for the most part it isn't anything I haven't seen before...

2) I will not put another dollar in that man's pocket...

NeoNeanderthal
10-12-12, 09:54
I have watched both Haley's and Sonny's. Obviously Sonny uses more of an Russian technique (Over the shoulder transitions, rolling around on the ground, big on displacement/get off the x).

I also just finished the Jim Fuller AK-Armorer's DVD which was pretty cool. He built Haley's AK and one or two of Sonny's i think. It was really cool to see the whole operating system and some simple mods to improve it.

Personally only Haley's would be worth the money spent on a DVD for me. I would (and did) just get a months subscription to panteao and watch all three.

Moose-Knuckle
10-12-12, 18:57
I have both Make Ready with Travis Haley - Adaptive Carbine and Make Ready with Sonny Puzikas - Fighting with the AK – Lost in Translation. I also have Gabe Suarez's DVDs. I would suggest both Haley's and Puzikas's just for their different perspectives.

Now I hope Larry Vickers reads this thread as I would really like to see him put out a Kalashnikov training DVD.

NeoNeanderthal
10-12-12, 19:33
Now I hope Larry Vickers reads this thread as I would really like to see him put out a Kalashnikov training DVD.

Amen, though i'd rather have a handgun video from him first.

RickyRifle
10-12-12, 20:54
In the interest of thoroughness, I want to add that James Yeager also has an "AK Operator" DVD - perhaps 'had' is more precise as I couldn't find it on his Tactical Response Gear website anymore.

Apparently, it or the material are now included in his "Fighting Rifle" 3 DVD set.

I have not seen the original or the new DVD set but from a review I read on the web, the original had no shooting footage but was entirely informational.

Yeager has Larry Vicker's AK Operator course listed on his bio as a course he has completed.

Jippo
10-14-12, 08:54
1) I've seen Suarez's ...

I am not endorsing the man but his basics are solid so hence the suggestion.

I can understand he is not the guy anyone would like to give money.

joffe
10-14-12, 09:11
I am not endorsing the man but his basics are solid so hence the suggestion.

I can understand he is not the guy anyone would like to give money.

I'm not sure what everyone's deal is with Suarez. He speaks his mind and is politically incorrect, I didn't think anyone on this forum would actually have a problem with that.

Another thumbs up for Suarez's AK videos from me, in any case.

amadeus76
10-14-12, 09:27
I'm not sure what everyone's deal is with Suarez. He speaks his mind....

My problem with him is he won't let anyone else speak their mind if it differs from the perscribed WT wisdon... Even on other forums. I have other issues as well, but that was the final straw for me. I'm glad I got off that Kool-Aide.

And as I said, I've seen his videos and they didn't impress me much. That is why I asked about Sonny and Haley's DVDs and not Suarez's.

amadeus76
10-14-12, 09:47
btw... To clarify one of the things I'm asking, how does Sonny's Beyond the Firearm compare with his Panteao DVD?

joffe
10-14-12, 10:03
My problem with him is he won't let anyone else speak their mind if it differs from the perscribed WT wisdon... Even on other forums. I have other issues as well, but that was the final straw for me. I'm glad I got off that Kool-Aide.

And as I said, I've seen his videos and they didn't impress me much. That is why I asked about Sonny and Haley's DVDs and not Suarez's.

Same goes everywhere. I can count two prominent members here, one a well-known and respected instructor, who were banned for reasons I have yet to actually figure out.

Forums are private property, not public town halls. Shouldn't hold it against someone that they moderate them.

amadeus76
10-14-12, 10:40
Joffe,

Check your messages... I'm done discussing Suarez here. It sidetracks from my OP.