PDA

View Full Version : Typical FNG question

sapper36
02-09-08, 01:05
Well I hate to say it because I know it has been asked and answered, I just can't find it. After many searches here and with Google I am still lost. What are the steps to own a upper under 16"s?? I know I will need a NFA class 3 but where do you start that process and how long does it take? This is a great site that has already saved me some headache with the knowledge based threads, thanks guys. Oh yea tha main reason I want this is because of you guys in less than a week I have gone from wanting the cool looking M-4 in the magazine to wanting a Noveske. Thanks agian

RojasTKD
02-09-08, 01:17
I have never done it, but you sudgest trying the ATF site. Or search for "getting an SBR (short barrel rifle)".

Deadcenter45
02-09-08, 01:49
TOS has a forum dedicated to it

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=17

sapper36
02-09-08, 10:11
Thank you

JimmyB62
02-09-08, 12:53
You can read this written by a member of this forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830&highlight=steps

SuicideHz
02-09-08, 13:43
TOS has a forum dedicated to it

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=17

Dude, there's plenty of resources here as mentioned below. You don't need to send people to other forums for information that we have here. When you send someone to a forum full of stupid people who will give stupid advice, you will only hurt that person in their attempt at finding knowledge and they probably won't come back here either because of the crappy advice they initially got.

boltcatch
02-10-08, 15:50
Dude, there's plenty of resources here as mentioned below. You don't need to send people to other forums for information that we have here. When you send someone to a forum full of stupid people who will give stupid advice, you will only hurt that person in their attempt at finding knowledge and they probably won't come back here either because of the crappy advice they initially got.

The first big pointer he needs is that owning an NFA item isn't a matter of having a license - it's an approval process for each item.

For an SBR, which form you use and what steps you take will depend on whether or not you're making your own out of an existing firearm or if you're buying a factory SBR.

Either way, typically you'll fill out two copies of the form, get some passport photos to affix to it, get fingerprint cards filled out, get local LEO (Sheriff's office) sign-off on the form, and send it and $200 to where they need to go. Wait 1-3 months or so, get one copy of the form back with the tax stamp, and you can take possesion of your SBR or get your lower engraved and get the short barrel, depending on which route you took.

There are also ways to create trusts or corporations and skip the fingerprint cards and LEO sign off, which can be helpful if your local LEO won't play ball.

I think the best pieces of advice for anyone thinking about NFA are (1) do it right the first time, cross your t's and dot your i's, and (2) the sooner you start the process, the sooner it's done and over with. Waiting sucks.

sapper36
02-10-08, 17:48
Yea, I have been reading and learning alot. Of course I still felt like a idiot when I found the NFA section. For now I am going to buy a 16" and then a complete SBR later. Thanks everyone.

Deadcenter45
02-10-08, 18:15

Well, pardon me. I was not aware of my obligation to jealously guard readers of this forum, and assume they do not have the intelligence to separate good information from bad. It was never my intention to cause irreparable harm to anyone for referring them to other sources of information. My bad.

I will go crawl back under my rock now. I learned my lesson.