PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a PSA Premium M4

Mavis
10-12-12, 18:10
Palmetto State Armory Premium M4 @ $700.00.

What components does a Colt 6920 have that are higher quality than what this gun has? Sounds too good to be true. Just trying to figure out what the catch is.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/s/dsc_0032.jpg

From their website:

Our M4 Carbine starts with one of our Premium chrome-lined Mil-spec steel barrels in the versatile M4 profile, mated to our forged aluminum upper, and finished off with a standard carbine hand guard, Pinned f-marked front sight post and A2 Flash hider. The forged lower is built with our 6 position Mil-spec size buffer tube and stock, Standard PSA lower parts kit with A2 pistol grip and aluminum trigger guard. The rifle is topped off with a Magpul rear back up sight. It comes with one 30 Round D&H Magazine (where allowed by law) so all you have to provide is the ammo to start having fun.

Barrel: 16" chrome-lined mil-spec chrome moly vanadium barrel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine gas system. M4 style profile is phosphate coated to mil-specs, and is High Pressure tested, and Magnetic Particle inspected, to ensure quality and dependability. Barrel is finished off with a standard carbine hand guard, pinned f-marked front sight post, rear Magpul Back Up Sight, and A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, and MPI. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside.

Lower: These forged lowers are quality made using 7075-T6 aluminum and are marked "MULTI" for caliber. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2. Mil-spec sized buffer tube is forged of 7075 aluminum, is dry film lube coated on the inside, has 6 adjustment positions, is finished with an M4 stock and has a staked castle nut. Standard carbine buffer is Black anodized and has the PSA logo on the face.

Stickman
10-12-12, 18:12
Have you looked at any of the other PSA threads....?

number1olddog
10-12-12, 18:15
To be honest I would buy one of these. For the price it is hard to beat. I have a Colt and 2 BCM's and they are extremely reliable for me but with a Colt you get a proven track record that is hard to beat. Reading through the specs I don't see that it has a heavy buffer and I would add one without question. Im sure someone like Iraqgunz or Grant will be here shortly to give you the best answer.

MistWolf
10-12-12, 18:18
My PSA carbine, once the feed ramps were taken care of, has been reliable with 2500 rounds through it. I bought a kit & lower and assembled it myself.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/Carbine.jpg

What the Colt will have that the PSA does not is Colt parts, including barrel & BCG and is assembled by Colt using Colt QC & QA processes. PSA also lacks the reputation Colt has earned

MistWolf
10-12-12, 18:21
...Reading through the specs I don't see that it has a heavy buffer and I would add one without question. Im sure someone like Iraqgunz or Grant will be here shortly to give you the best answer.

Shoot the rifle before adding a heavy buffer. I tried an H buffer with my PSA and it started short stroking

Koshinn
10-12-12, 18:29
Shoot the rifle before adding a heavy buffer. I tried an H buffer with my PSA and it started short stroking

I concur. I need to use a car buffer with my PSA for anything weaker than XM193.

Iraqgunz
10-12-12, 19:06
Spend some time reading there's plenty of information about the Colt 6920 and plenty of information about PSA carbines.