PDA

View Full Version : FNP .45 is finally out. Me like

variablebinary
02-09-08, 01:15
Its beefy, but feels nice in the hand. The decocker is more flush than I thought making for a nice thumbs high grip. Decent balance as well

Its nearly half the price of the HK45, and comes with 3 mags and night sights

Soon as I get some spare cash I am getting one. For sure I liked it more than the HK45

Redmanfms
02-09-08, 01:57
How does it compare in grip size and trigger reach to the old-style Glock 21?

TRLREDY
02-10-08, 09:27
I haven't seen a price yet. What is it going for?

Robb Jensen
02-10-08, 10:36
How does it compare in grip size and trigger reach to the old-style Glock 21?

We have one (I haven't shot one) but it's huge. It feels a lot like a G21 (non-SF) to me.

Level Edge
02-10-08, 19:35
Are these coming in a DA/SA w/ safety variant that permits cocked and locked carry?

Kalash
02-10-08, 19:38
Grip angle is more like a 1911 than a Glock though.

chris914
02-10-08, 19:48
Handled it at SHOT. Not really my cup of tea. Good luck with it. Tell us all about it when the time comes.

RogerinTPA
02-10-08, 21:41
It looks pretty interesting but I'd only consider it for military or police duty carry. It's way too big for the average person. It practically dwarf's the full sized M&P45. If they scaled it down some, it may have a shot on the civilian side of the house, then I'd be interested.

Redmanfms
02-12-08, 19:27
We have one (I haven't shot one) but it's huge. It feels a lot like a G21 (non-SF) to me.

Scratch that off the list.

Thanks.

trio
02-21-08, 01:45
yeah...i carry a HK45 currently, and have carried, in the past, the M&P45, G21SF, gov't 5" 1911, and an actual full size g21....and I thought this thing was too big....

i am very interested to hear how it shoots, but, IMHO, unless your normal carry is a shoulder rig or a tactical thigh rig, I don't think I could do it.....

SinnFéinM1911
02-21-08, 10:41
Its shoots damn good!! Im so not bias either ! :D

markm
02-21-08, 11:12
Interesting. I kinda like a full sized pistol.

MikeO
03-06-08, 11:10
I like the FNP 9/40. I hope the changes made for the FNP45 safety/decick levers make their way to the 9/40 models.

Two things I don't like:

1. The length of the grip; waaaaay too long for me, even for a "full size" gun. Woulda fit a whole lot more people a whole lot better w a shorter 12 round mag/grip IMO.

2. Radically throated, leaves a lot of the case unsupported, and the chamber walls are pretty thin, like the Glock 21/30.

I hope a compact 10 shot/4 inch gun is on the way.

Gutshot John
03-06-08, 15:04
I handled it at SHOT. Friggin 'uge.

I don't do well with double-stack .45s but comparatively speaking it's better than the 21 or USP. The controls were great for a lefty which I am.

CDNN has them for about $600 I think.

Buckaroo
03-06-08, 15:09
FNP .45 is finally out. Me like

I read FNP .45 is finally out. Like Me

:eek:

Had to go back and re-read that... Glad I had it wrong!

Buckaroo

bullitt5172
03-07-08, 18:28
I wasn't impressed. Too big and the fit/finish was lacking. Felt pretty cheap IMO.

razors
03-08-08, 00:22
If it is as tuff as my FNP9 then then it should be a winner...2500+ rounds and still going strong:)

LDM
04-02-08, 16:24
Resurrecting this post with some new info and a hope for some more discussion of experiences with the FNP 45.
The FNP 45 will have a variant soon that can be carried cocked & locked. It will still be double action/single action, but a thumb safety (not de-cocker). There will still be the current DA/SA with de-cocker option. Street price is evidently $500-$550 +/- with 3 mags.
I have been thinking about a "plastic" 45. I have been lurking and listening to discussion on the M&P 45 and HK45; both of which have a lot of merit. But the construction of the FNP strikes me as akin to a "brass ball"; not at all elegant, but rugged. And that appeals to me.
Everyone has their preferences, but I just never got proficient or comfortable transitioning to SA from DA. Shame, as I think SIGs are good weapons. But I am just more comfortable DAO or SA. So the cocked & locked thing is a big thing to me and puts the FNP on my possible list.
Anyone got more trigger time and experiences with FNP's?
Stay safe.

NetJunkie
04-02-08, 22:14
I wonder if they've fixed the issues plaguing the previous FN pistols. I'd wait a bit before picking them up. I've held one to look at it and I can see where the money went on the HK45 that I bought.

BSHNT2015
04-06-08, 18:32
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/bshnt2015/IMG_2279.jpg

FN 45 is Tan, the pistol had a good feel to it, not too bulky.

AZ Old Guy
04-10-08, 19:03
I have both an FNP-45 and a Glock 21SF. The FNP comes with two interchangeable backstraps, flat and arched. I use the flat one - it fits my hand better. The FNP grip is smaller than the Glock 21SF, even though it holds 14+1 compared to Glock's 13+1.

My first five-shot group with the FNP-45 at 5 yards was one ragged hole. I can't come close to that with the Glock. It's been 100% reliable, and I find it to be very controllable shooting double- and triple-taps. The machining inside the slide is impeccable. The DA/SA trigger pull is similar to a SIG, just a bit heavier. I think FNH designed a winner.

williejc
04-10-08, 22:07
I've fired 300 rds through my new FNP-45 and discovered it to be soft recoiling(felt), very accurate, and 100% reliable, so far. With the flat grip attachment, my hand fits nicely. Yes, the grip is a tad long but its circumference should be ok for most. I glued it in place and chunked the curved jobby.

If you can live with other high capacity DA/SA or striker-fired pistols, which are also large, it's highly probable that you will like this one. I saw no evidence that the FNP-45 is not a well-made handgun. You will see a cast line on its massive extractor but will also see a precisely machined slide and barrel.

Though not a rough gun to start with, the FNP-45 smoothed up after 200 rounds. It will tolerate limp wristing and functions even with the old 185 grain target semiwadcutters made for bullseye shooting.

In all pistol magazines and especially high caps, I load at least one round less than full capacity. Inserting the mag is easier, and you will feel a discernible, positive lock-up of mag with the mag release. Also, racking the slide back requires less effort because of decreased upward pressure of loaded rounds against the slide. I put 13 rounds in the mag, rack the slide, drop the hammer, and I'm ready to go. I keep it very well lubed.

The folks at FN headquarters in Va are really nice and will actually talk to you on the phone. Repair on the FNP series is done at Browning's repair center in Missouri.

Williejc