PDA

View Full Version : Please help: concerned about new Colt

CPTN
10-13-12, 14:45
Brief background: I don't have a lot of experience with AR's. I do own 4 (Daniel Defense M4v1, Daniel Defense XV, Charles Daly M4LE, S&W MP15). Last night, I picked up a NIB LE6920 - making a total of 5 AR's. Additionally, I have a spare, NIB, complete DD bolt carrier group and a NIB, spare Colt bolt. All rifles and spare parts were purchased NIB

Concerns: Last night, I went to pick up the Colt (it was NIB internet transfer) and before completing the paperwork, I inspected the rifle. I checked for obvious defects. I also checked for proper staking on the carrier key and castle nut. Everything appeared to be fine. Exceptions:

1. I noted that there was some wiggle in the handguards. It is possible to slightly rotate the handguards.....just a few millimeters....but it is noticeable. I have handled a few 6920's in the past so I know that they are not considered to be tight compared to others. However, none of my other AR's exhibit this play (2 have rails and the other 2 basic handguards.) The handguards don't seem to be rubbing the gas tube so I am not overly concerned...but I thought I should get some opinions from others. Also, is it possible to eliminate this wiggle by adjustment (and not by purchasing another set or rail)?

2. This is my biggest concern. As I mentioned, I inspected rifle before transfer....including the staking. However, it was not until I got home last
night that I noticed something very unusual. I fieldstripped the gun found something on the bolt that concerns me. It is a white spot (for lack of a better description) on the bottom of the bolt. I tried with my fingernail and a toothpick to scrape it off, but it remains. I have no idea what it is. I have attached some pics so I can get your opinions. I photographed my spare colt bolt alongside for comparison. I took the picture as close as my camera would focus on the spot.

Finally, I called Colt today before posting, but predictably, they were closed.

Can you please comment on these two issues?

Thanks

3 AE
10-13-12, 15:06
Google "white spot on Colt bolt".

My 6920 has some wiggle at the handguards, has some wiggle between the upper and lower receivers, has some wiggle between the MOE buttstock and the receiver extension, has some wiggle on the safety selector, has some wiggle between the Pmag and the magwell. All is well. :D

Stickman
10-13-12, 15:29
All normal, no problems or need for concern.

C4IGrant
10-13-12, 15:56
All normal, no problems or need for concern.

Agree.

C4

CPTN
10-13-12, 17:10
Thanks for the information everybody.

Is there anyway to tighten the handguards?

Now that I read that they "white mark" is normal, it makes me wonder why the spare bolt is not marked. It does have the "C"

Dan46n2
10-13-12, 18:27
You can put on a free float that bolts to the nut, those don't move.

Stickman
10-13-12, 18:54
Thanks for the information everybody.

Is there anyway to tighten the handguards?

Now that I read that they "white mark" is normal, it makes me wonder why the spare bolt is not marked. It does have the "C"

No, it will really only get worse as the spring looses strength. You can drop on a FF rail if you feel a need for a rail.

You will find people who wrap tape, cord and other goofy things to "tighten" the handguards, but those tend to be the same people who put tape on their shell deflector to make sure it doesn't get any brass marks.

duece71
10-13-12, 19:14
White spot be gone=put 1500 rounds through the rifle. Done.

rojocorsa
10-13-12, 21:19
Is the spot some kind of factory marking? Just curious.

Stickman
10-13-12, 21:43
Is the spot some kind of factory marking? Just curious.

Yes...

jb1911
10-13-12, 22:03
Mine has the same white spot. Probably just some kind of factory mark signifying that I was inspected or something.

justin_247
10-14-12, 02:06
The delta ring spring on the Colt's that I've handled have slightly less tension than the springs on other rifles I've handled. The handguards may seem like they have more "play," but I don't see this as an issue... on my DD, the spring had so much tension that I had to use a tool to pull the delta ring down far enough to remove the handguards, but I didn't need them on my Colt. Even then, there's no way those handguards are coming out on their own.

Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

everyusernametaken
10-14-12, 02:39
The delta ring spring on the Colt's that I've handled have slightly less tension than the springs on other rifles I've handled. The handguards may seem like they have more "play," but I don't see this as an issue... on my DD, the spring had so much tension that I had to use a tool to pull the delta ring down far enough to remove the handguards, but I didn't need them on my Colt. Even then, there's no way those handguards are coming out on their own.

Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

I've noticed that about Colt delta rings, too. The spring tension does seem to be relatively light, compared to a couple others I've R&R'd handguards on. I was thinking it must have been a fluke, but if others make the same observation, I guess there's something to it.

Seagunner
10-14-12, 02:55
These type of threads are great for new guys. Input from knowledgeable members in a no b.s.,non sarcastic manner..this is what seperates this site from TOS

Pappabear
10-14-12, 05:53
Daniel Defense. Choose your rail.