PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Tacoma Pre-Runner Double Cab

Denali
10-13-12, 20:05
http://www.markquarttoyota.com/VehicleDetails/1851494163

I'm leaning towards buying the sleek, saucy, little four door in the link, its very clean, and the miles are a little below average. Its the 3.4L V6 Pre-Runner(4x2)with a motor widely thought to be bulletproof.

Anyone tell me what I need to look for/at in this model year Tacoma? Any problem areas beyond the rust recall? Any mechanical nuances to this model year? Thanks....

kmrtnsn
10-13-12, 20:17
I owned the same year and model for a while. If you live in hill country, then front brakes are a 25-35K mile replacement item. As explained to me, the four-door Pre-Runner with with 6cyl, although significantly heavier than the base 4 cyl short bed, has the same pads and rotors up front. I live at the bottom of a steep grade so I replaced the brakes on mine three times in the time I owned it. My only complaint with my truck was I wish that it had better front seats with more adjustment. I wish Toyota would go back to a Hi-Lux based pick-up here in the States.

Denali
10-13-12, 21:25
I wish Toyota would go back to a Hi-Lux based pick-up here in the States.

So do a lot of us, but they are taking advantage of the market concept that rich yanks replace vehicles every 4-5 years, so they built them down to match that expectation psychology....At least thats how I see it...So the auto transmissions on these model years, are they well regarded?

kmrtnsn
10-13-12, 22:11
So do a lot of us, but they are taking advantage of the market concept that rich yanks replace vehicles every 4-5 years, so they built them down to match that expectation psychology....At least thats how I see it...So the auto transmissions on these model years, are they well regarded?

Never had any issues with my auto trans.

Packman73
10-13-12, 22:41
Solid truck minus the rust issue.

ETA; check out TacomaWorld.com for lots of good info.

kmrtnsn
10-13-12, 22:45
Solid truck minus the rust issue.

ETA; check out TacomaWorld.com for lots of good info.

I live and work on the shore. I have never seen a rusty Tacoma.

Packman73
10-13-12, 22:51
I'm referring to the rusted frame recalls on the early models. It's not a myth. Solid trucks though by all accounts.

kmrtnsn
10-13-12, 23:04
I'm referring to the rusted frame recalls on the early models. It's not a myth. Solid trucks though by all accounts.

Reminds me of long ago, in my youth. I worked at a tire shop in Alaska and we had a rusty old Chevy Luv come in for a set of studded snow tires. Got down and set the lift for four points on the frame, then hit the hydraulics. The lift came up, hit the frame and up the truck went......for a second or two, then it kind of folded in the middle, each end pointed down. THAT truck had rusty frame rails! Should have seen the owner's face when we brought him out to the shop.

J-Dub
10-13-12, 23:08
Just sold a 2001 Dcab Taco w/ 175,000 miles. Never let me down, I kinda miss it..

kmrtnsn
10-13-12, 23:09
Just sold a 2001 Dcab Taco w/ 175,000 miles. Never let me down, I kinda miss it..

I wish I had never gotten rid of mine.

Packman73
10-13-12, 23:10
Lol, I'd have liked to see that.

Packman73
10-13-12, 23:10
Oops.

Terracoma
10-15-12, 00:10
So the auto transmissions on these model years, are they well regarded?

If you plan to tow with it regularly, definitely invest in an aftermarket transmission cooler.

That truck should have had the timing belt replaced ASAP, if it wasn't done since the 100,000 mile mark. Maybe a CARFAX report will show the service having been done if it went to a dealership, but definitely inquire with the seller about it. Be a good idea to do the water pump at the same time (while it's torn down that far), with cam shaft seals and idler pulleys being optional, but preemptive maintenance items.

The front brake rotors are notorious for warping, as was noted above by the other guys before me. A common upgrade is to use 4WD Tundra calipers, pads, and rotors, which are much larger and (more importantly) thicker than the stock Tacoma parts. Lots of reading on this topic with a search on TTORA, Yotatech, and other Toyota truck forums. Properly adjusted rear brake shoes are very important in helping to avoid overworking the front rotors.

Since it's an automatic, judiciously service the cooling system to help avoid the "pink milkshake".

Belmont31R
10-15-12, 00:24
10 year old truck with 140k miles for 11k?

Makes me feel a lot better about buying a brand new Mazda for 16k.

HOLY **** USED PRICES ARE STUPID. That truck should be 5k not 11k. It wasn't but 10 years ago you could roll off the lot with a bran new small truck for 11k.

ralph
10-15-12, 09:05

HOLY **** USED PRICES ARE STUPID. That truck should be 5k not 11k. It wasn't but 10 years ago you could roll off the lot with a bran new small truck for 11k.

I cannot agree with your assessment of prices more, The prices of both new, used, domestic, foreign, vehicles has went nuts.. I don't understand it..

TehLlama
10-15-12, 12:55

I'd be in a recent Tacoma right now instead of my 83hp Ranger if I didn't feel the exact same way. It might be nice for those who are buying new Tacos to be able to turn around and sell them three years later at 25% or less depreciation, but man, it's a truck, why am I looking at used truck prices so high I can buy a new stripped out F-150?

Denali
10-15-12, 17:54
If you plan to tow with it regularly, definitely invest in an aftermarket transmission cooler.

That truck should have had the timing belt replaced ASAP, if it wasn't done since the 100,000 mile mark. Maybe a CARFAX report will show the service having been done if it went to a dealership, but definitely inquire with the seller about it. Be a good idea to do the water pump at the same time (while it's torn down that far), with cam shaft seals and idler pulleys being optional, but preemptive maintenance items.

The front brake rotors are notorious for warping, as was noted above by the other guys before me. A common upgrade is to use 4WD Tundra calipers, pads, and rotors, which are much larger and (more importantly) thicker than the stock Tacoma parts. Lots of reading on this topic with a search on TTORA, Yotatech, and other Toyota truck forums. Properly adjusted rear brake shoes are very important in helping to avoid overworking the front rotors.

Since it's an automatic, judiciously service the cooling system to help avoid the "pink milkshake".

Just the fishing boat. Brakes I knew about...

Denali
10-15-12, 17:57

Thats nothing, up here(NW Wisconsin)they are selling used 4x4 Tacoma's & Tundras with well over 150.000 miles on them in the high teens, to low twenties! The main reason that prices are skyrocketing? Inflation, Obama has printed himself trillions of of Obamabucks and released them into the market! Thats why the prices are going crazy....

J-Dub
10-15-12, 18:28
I bought a 09' Reg Cab Tacoma 4wd w/ 31000 miles for $15,900

JBecker 72
10-15-12, 18:41
I had a 99 Tacoma extended cab 4x4 TRD and a 2000 4Runner limited. Both had the 3.4L with auto transmission and were very nice trucks. I regret selling my 4Runner and am thinking about picking up another one soon.

Denali
10-15-12, 20:54
I had a 99 Tacoma extended cab 4x4 TRD and a 2000 4Runner limited. Both had the 3.4L with auto transmission and were very nice trucks. I regret selling my 4Runner and am thinking about picking up another one soon.

How many miles did you put on em?

JBecker 72
10-16-12, 00:57
How many miles did you put on em?

I only put 10,000 on the Tacoma, but I put 60,000 miles on the 4Runner. Both never skipped a beat and required little maintenance. I bought the 4Runner with 80,000 miles on it and all I ever did was change the timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires and a plenum gasket on it as well as oil changes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Gramps
10-16-12, 03:01
I don't have a Toy, but I do have a 4 door supper short box, AND I HATE THE SUPPER SHORT BOX! Originally it came with a topper that had the door that went al the way to the bed, NO TAILGATE. That was a bitch. Took topper off, bought tailgate and it's a little better. Next time will at least get a 6' bed, 4 door. Love having the 4 doors. Even when I had my full size Cheb.

Toy is my fave though. Just had to settle (per wife at the time) for a Sonoma, but next one will be Toy. Buy once, cry once. Marry twice, cry frequently, and ask, "WTF was I thinking".