PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT 738

Pappabear
10-13-12, 20:24
Anyone shoot this gun? I have a friend that bought it. Want to make sure it's safe and of fair quality.

Anyone with experience ?

PB

TriviaMonster
10-13-12, 21:11
A PT709 passed through my hands for a week or so. I sold it very quickly. It had numerous FTEs and FTFs and would drop mags if loaded to +1 in the chamber, 3-4 times total.

It must have been some sort of über lemon. BTW this was a 9mm version and was about 2-3 years ago.

It was the perfect size for 9mm and was very small and accurate but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gunnut284
10-13-12, 22:47
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. When I worked at a gun store we had to send more Taurus products back than all others combined.

Regarding that particular model, despite my advise a friend tried one last year. It had to go back twice for several issues and even after the second time it would have ejection and/or extraction issues every couple mags. It was complete junk.

Pappabear
10-13-12, 23:03
Yea, I figured. Didn't have the heart to tell him. Just going to Show him public opinion.

Looked way to small to function.

TriviaMonster
10-14-12, 10:29
I know this won't help your argument much, but it is rumored that Taurus has worked out a lot of the bugs in the PT7XX models. But, at the end of the day it's still a Taurus, it's still a .380 ACP, and it's still not enough gun. I have an LCP that I bought for next to nothing. It serves one purpose. Work out gun with gym shorts and a Under Armour fitted T shirt. Once I get back home or to my car, out comes the XDm 3.8 9mm full size frame or my G23.

I wouldn't carry it until it he shoots 500 or more rounds from it. If it's a dud, it will let him know like a kick in the nuts. My personal Taurus experiences have told me that when a Taurus is bad, it's BAD. Ex. My friends 24/7 Pro (yuck) discharged when he dropped the slide on a chambered round. His fingers were underneath the trigger guard in a hammer fist type grip including his trigger finger. I have 3 witnesses confirming this, including myself. Taurus received the gun and immediately reissued him a brand new 24/7 Pro, no questions asked. Or answered for that matter. Few companies will send a new gun in less than 24hrs of receiving the defective (to be polite) unless there is a very serious problem that they already know about it I would think.

Fortunately no one was hurt, but we did recover the .45, expanded.

WillBrink
10-14-12, 11:13
I know this won't help your argument much, but it is rumored that Taurus has worked out a lot of the bugs in the PT7XX models. But, at the end of the day it's still a Taurus, it's still a .380 ACP, and it's still not enough gun.

This. Can't be summed up better then that.

maddawg5777
10-16-12, 11:23
I tried out a Taurus when I was young and ill informed. I bought a pt1911 the day I turned 21 for 480. looking back it was ok for a cheap knock off 1911 I guess, had a few fte's but was accurate. The finish was a joke, I think a rattle can would have put a better finish on the gun. Around the 1000 round mark the safety started to attempt to come apart. By then I had seen enough go tits up and sold it off. I also agree about the 380 acp. Ill never own one unless I have to carry wearing nothing but my boxers.