PDA

View Full Version : is it just me??? sight question

tony413
10-14-12, 01:27
i recently brought a set of ameriglo kyle defoor sights because i wanted a better sight picture vs the stock sight picture. i went with the defoor sights because they are the same exact height front and rear compared to the stock sights.

with the stock sights on the same slide i can accurately make 25yard hits with no issues. now that im using the defoor sights i cannot make hits, so i decided to start at 3 yards and work my back. to my surprise im shooting way low with defoors vs stock. if the sights are exactly the in dimensions what is going on?????

JBarbaresi
10-14-12, 08:11
Whats the difference in rear notch width? A wider rear on the defoors may take some getting used to with elevation alignment. The stock glock sights have a very wide front blade and narrow rear notch, making them fairly accurate but slow.

ralph
10-14-12, 08:53
Whats the difference in rear notch width? A wider rear on the defoors may take some getting used to with elevation alignment. The stock glock sights have a very wide front blade and narrow rear notch, making them fairly accurate but slow.

This could very well be the problem..I have a set of Ameri-Glo Hacks,on my Gen3, G19..The rear notch is (if I remember correctly .180 wide, The front being .140 wide), And I'm having a problem at 25yds as well. However, the last time I had it out at 25yds I was doing better,I do believe these take some getting used to, and one also has to remember that these are intended as quick aquisition sights, So, longer ranges while quite doable, is something you'll just have to practice. At 25yds I was putting the top of the front sight on the lower third of the target, in my case I'm getting about 1/2 of the rounds fired to the right, elevation seems about right, I just need to go a little to the left..

tony413
10-14-12, 11:26
i have a .115 width front sight and a .150 rear notch. i really love the sight picture but i need to find out why im shooting low, i dont have pistol rest available to me.

interfan
10-14-12, 12:32
What is your hold? I have DeFoors on both a Sig and Glock and find that a hold of around #2 or even #3 (on pic below) is better with the DeFoors depending on distance:
http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg

tony413
10-14-12, 13:09
interfan im having to use hold #3 for pretty much everything under 15 yards. when i try to use hold #1 which is what i want to have for distance shooting, it just doesnt work. i need to try to get a pistol rest and a 2'x2' square target and aim dead center and see where shoots are going.

the weird part is that if i take the sights off and put the stock sights back on the same slide, im instantly accurate and hit where i want again. i figured that by buying the sights with the same exact height as stock nothing would change but i seem to be learning that may not be true.

Voodoo_Man
10-14-12, 13:50
I just got my GT504 Defoor sights in for my G34. I'll have them on the gun and shooting this week coming up...will see if I have the same issues as you guys.

tony413
10-14-12, 15:49
please keep my updated also im sure the longer sight radius may play a role in where you hit vs where i hit.

chadil1ac
10-14-12, 16:54
What is your hold? I have DeFoors on both a Sig and Glock and find that a hold of around #2 or even #3 (on pic below) is better with the DeFoors depending on distance:

This. I can make hits pretty decent out to 100 yards with my Defoor sights on 12x20 steel.

pr1042
10-14-12, 18:06
no issues shooting low with mine, i hold like #2 and #3 depending on distance

A62Rambler
10-15-12, 09:58
Did you actually measure the sights? Maybe one set isn't the same height as you think. Just a thought. :D

tony413
10-18-12, 18:51
thanks guys this weekend I'm going to measure the sights and shoot the gun from a bench rest. I'll report back what happens.

Voodoo_Man
10-18-12, 18:58
Put the defoor's in my g4 g34.

They are POA/POI @ 25y on the ledge of the front sight.

So Image #2:

At 15-5y I had to hold Sight Image #3 to get POI where I wanted it.