PDA

View Full Version : RedBull Stratos

Quiet-Matt
10-14-12, 11:24
As of 12:22pm Eastern time he has reached 55k feet.

Streaming live at www.redbullstratos.com/live/

Magic_Salad0892
10-14-12, 11:34
Thanks!

C-grunt
10-14-12, 11:42
It's also live on the Discovery Channel.

I'm recording it in HD.

Magic_Salad0892
10-14-12, 11:43
What height are they trying to reach before he jumps?

VooDoo6Actual
10-14-12, 11:50
The mission profile says "Felix Baumgartner plans to leap from a balloon at an altitude of 120,000ft (36,576m) and reach speeds of hundreds of miles an hour, breaking the sound barrier".

I believe that at that height he also would beat the Navy Weather Ballon record height as well.

I've always been fascinated w/ Kittinger's Jump & wondered why it has held so long.
Crazy KIT/Gear Felix has.
Watching streaming live now on iPhone 5.
He's at 77,000+
Fingers crossed for a successful jump etc.

I hope Army Chief gets to see that achievement.

Battle*Hound
10-14-12, 12:04
Very cool

Sam
10-14-12, 12:15
97000 ft. and climbing at about 1000 ft per minute.

montanadave
10-14-12, 12:24
Just passed through the previous record parachute height held by Colonel Joseph Kittinger (102,800') set in 1960.

Amazing stuff!

P2000
10-14-12, 12:27
I'm glad this thread was posted, I didn't realize this was happening today. I'm watching it live now. Red Bull sponsors some really amazing stuff, I've got a couple of friends that work for Red Bull Team Chambliss.

austinN4
10-14-12, 12:29
Thanks for posting - I would have missed this otherwise.

Magic_Salad0892
10-14-12, 12:39
118k...

montanadave
10-14-12, 12:41
Weird. I've got about a 60 second delay on the RedBull website versus the Discovery Channel broadcast. Wonder if Discovery paid a little extra to have the "live" feed or it's just a glitch with my internet provider (although I have bundled cable/internet/phone service).

Quiet-Matt
10-14-12, 12:45
Same here Dave.

montanadave
10-14-12, 13:04
So does an Austrian guy yell "Geronimo"?

Magic_Salad0892
10-14-12, 13:18
He landed.

austinN4
10-14-12, 13:26
He landed.
Standing up on his feet, no less!

Abraxas
10-14-12, 13:28
It was impressive.

PaulL
10-14-12, 13:29
He landed.

Made it look like no big deal. Like he just hopped out of a truck or something.

Press conference is supposed to be streaming soon, as well.

tuck
10-14-12, 13:35
Gotta say, that was pretty impressive. I just hope he landed on the spot I picked.

Ghost__1
10-14-12, 14:00
Weird. I've got about a 60 second delay on the RedBull website versus the Discovery Channel broadcast. Wonder if Discovery paid a little extra to have the "live" feed or it's just a glitch with my internet provider (although I have bundled cable/internet/phone service).

I'm guessing the delay was there in case something went wrong.

austinN4
10-14-12, 14:48
I'm guessing the delay was there in case something went wrong.
I read somewhere earlier today that there was a 20 second delay in case something went wrong, But I can't find it now.

I must admit that, when the door came open and he went thru the final sequence of stepping out onto the ledge, my pulse rate was really high.

Voodoochild
10-14-12, 15:03
Balls the size of watermellons...128K feet and to just step out give the thumbs up and drop. Since chills down my spine. That is some pretty cool shit right there.

Army Chief
10-14-12, 15:33
A most impressive achievement. I'm still waiting for the real significance of what has just been accomplished to sink in.

24 miles. Wow.

AC

Ghost__1
10-14-12, 15:42
A most impressive achievement. I'm still waiting for the real significance of what has just been accomplished to sink in.

24 miles. Wow.

AC

AC i put it into perspective by thinking of the 4min and change FREEFALL. Also reaching a speed of over 700mph. Or in bullet trajectory terms over 1000ft/sec. WOW!

Magic_Salad0892
10-14-12, 15:52
Made it look like no big deal. Like he just hopped out of a truck or something.

Press conference is supposed to be streaming soon, as well.

When you watch it. There just isn't words that can describe it. Him getting on his knees, and pumping his fists in the air is all you need to see to know exactly what tone I meant when I said ''He landed."

ETA: "I'm comin' home." is the most epic thing you can say before you jump 24 miles back to Earth.

C-grunt
10-14-12, 16:27
Just read the speed was 833.9 MPH or mach 1.24

jmp45
10-14-12, 16:44
I missed this stream, what an incredible jump. It's up on youtube now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGh64Xo4axc

montanadave
10-14-12, 17:14
Just read the speed was 833.9 MPH or mach 1.24

Damn!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Gramps
10-14-12, 17:28
Amazing. What a rush, standing out there thinking, "I'm about to do something real???
It gives NEW MEANING, to "Red Bull" "It Gives You WINGS" @24 mi!

Quiet-Matt
10-14-12, 18:41
It was very awesome indeed. My 5 yr old son and I stood in front of the TV watching and he kept asking how high is he? It was impossible to explain how high that was because I cant fathom that height. My son asked me if Felix would go to heaven if he died up there. I told him "yes, and he wouldn't have far to go". Then to land like he did was great. I'm glad that they finally pulled it off. I've been following this for years, practice jumps, and delays. I was beginning to think it was never going to happen.

Cagemonkey
10-14-12, 18:49
Wife and I watched it live. I thought if was pretty awesome. The only man in the world to go supersonic by himself except for gravity.

Cagemonkey
10-14-12, 18:50
Just read the speed was 833.9 MPH or mach 1.24Dumb question, but was wondering if he created a sonic boom?

Magic_Salad0892
10-14-12, 18:51
It was very awesome indeed. My 5 yr old son and I stood in front of the TV watching and he kept asking how high is he? It was impossible to explain how high that was because I cant fathom that height. My son asked me if Felix would go to heaven if he died up there. I told him "yes, and he wouldn't have far to go". Then to land like he did was great. I'm glad that they finally pulled it off. I've been following this for years, practice jumps, and delays. I was beginning to think it was never going to happen.

That's an epic reply.

ralph
10-14-12, 19:24
All of us that watched today,got to see a peice of history not likely to be repeated...This was one of the most incredible things I think I've ever seen.. Let's see..Felix broke 3records today, 2 have stood for over 50yrs... And to have the man whose record he broke today, there helping him in the control room..wow! It still hasn't sunk in for me..24 miles! I can't help but wonder what it felt like to stand on that little ledge..24miles up...Take a look around..and let go..

a0cake
10-14-12, 19:40
Dumb question, but was wondering if he created a sonic boom?

As I understand it, the duration of the "boom" is dependent on the object's length relative to the axis at which it goes supersonic. The shorter the object, the briefer and less perceptible the boom. This, coupled with the extremely high altitude at which he "crossed the barrier," makes it unlikely, in my half-educated opinion, that any significant "boom" was audible, at least in comparison to the way we're used to them sounding.

This is just a half-informed guess. Or, less euphemistically but with the same meaning, a relatively uninformed guess.

JBecker 72
10-14-12, 19:53
Amazing!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quiet-Matt
10-14-12, 19:57
He stated in the press confrence that he felt nothing when he went supersonic. He said that the suit was like wearing a cast.

PaulL
10-14-12, 21:16
When you watch it. There just isn't words that can describe it. Him getting on his knees, and pumping his fists in the air is all you need to see to know exactly what tone I meant when I said ''He landed."

ETA: "I'm comin' home." is the most epic thing you can say before you jump 24 miles back to Earth.

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to diminish the enormity of it at all, just that it looked like business as usual up until he finally let himself go and went to his knees. Balls, skill, and professionalism in one package. I completely agree on those last words before he jumped, too. That phrase, along with the biggest of all bunny hops will be stuck in my mind for a long time.

My wife and I were freaking out a little when he started tumbling at 700+ MPH. There's a chest camera video here: http://fstoppers.com/pictures-from-the-edge-of-space-redbull-stratos

Just crazy. I can't wait to see the film they put together with all the footage from this.

ForTehNguyen
10-14-12, 21:20
the altitude he dived at was nearly a vacuum, only .04 psi, the greatest part of his acceleration was here. I watched the telemetry during the 120k-100k the acceleration was unreal. Once he hit 100k he started decelerating quickly back to subsonic

montanadave
10-14-12, 21:21
Dumb question, but was wondering if he created a sonic boom?

I would have created a sonic boom as soon as I stood up in that capsule door ... in my pants!

Belmont31R
10-14-12, 21:55
Watched it from just after lift off to when they cut the feed. Both my wife and I had tears (watery eyes for me). Awesome feat, and even more awesome Joe Kittinger was doing his pre jump sequence. I told a buddy is was like a legend handing off his legacy to a new generation.

Later on today was out an about, and bought a Red Bull just to thank them for funding such awesome stuff all the time. For being an energy drink...they sure put a lot of money back into humanity all across the board. Wish more companies would do this type of stuff.

His statement before the leap was awesome. I'm sure we would all feel small being way up there, and it does remind you how tiny we are in the grand scheme of things. When looking up you see black, and looking forward you see the curve of the Earth it's got to be a eery but awe inspiring feeling. "Going home" is exactly right.

JohnnyC
10-14-12, 22:07
You know, Michael Phelps can say he's the fastest man in the water, Usain Bolt can say the same on land, but all Felix Baumgartner has to say is "I'm the fastest f*cking man ever!" and nobody can hold a candle to it.

Mach 1.24!!!!!!! 128,000 feet!!!!!

I was waiting for a brown stain to appear on his nice white space suit, because even watching it scared the bejesus out of me.

I got a chuckle out of hearing Col. Kittinger in the press conference saying he wanted to give a big one-finger salute to everyone that said he was gonna tear apart when he broke the sound barrier.

Belmont31R
10-14-12, 22:18
You know, Michael Phelps can say he's the fastest man in the water, Usain Bolt can say the same on land, but all Felix Baumgartner has to say is "I'm the fastest f*cking man ever!" and nobody can hold a candle to it.

Mach 1.24!!!!!!! 128,000 feet!!!!!

I was waiting for a brown stain to appear on his nice white space suit, because even watching it scared the bejesus out of me.

I got a chuckle out of hearing Col. Kittinger in the press conference saying he wanted to give a big one-finger salute to everyone that said he was gonna tear apart when he broke the sound barrier.

Tons of respect for Kittinger after hearing all the commentary. Took 'that' type of guy to do what he did, and then turn around and support Felix so well in his jump. Kinda guy who just wants to take part in shit that takes balls of steel, and doesn't care if it's him or some other guy that clinks when walking. Love it!

parishioner
10-14-12, 22:44
"I'm comin' home." is the most epic thing you can say before you jump 24 miles back to Earth.

The way he said it too made it more epic because he said it like no matter the ending, he was going home. Unreal.

It actually seemed like more people than I would have thought really showed an interest in this which gives me a bit more faith in humanity. I hope some kid out there was inspired.

JBecker 72
10-15-12, 00:12
Later on today was out an about, and bought a Red Bull just to thank them for funding such awesome stuff all the time. For being an energy drink...they sure put a lot of money back into humanity all across the board. Wish more companies would do this type of stuff.

I agree, I think redbull is an awesome company for the athletes and events they sponsor.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Magic_Salad0892
10-15-12, 00:33
Was it "I'm comin' home." or "I'm goin' home."? because I might edit my signature.

And yeah I liked the passing of the torch thing of having Kittinger there.

austinN4
10-15-12, 06:15
Was it "I'm comin' home." or "I'm goin' home."?
It sounded to me like he said, "I'm coming home now."

theblackknight
10-15-12, 08:03
Red Bull makes a lot of stuff happen. They sponsor MTBing in a huge way. If I had money, Id be doing the same things. Who is boring enough to want to sit on a beach when you could ride a downhill race thru the hillsides in sau paulo? People like Richard Branson and Ken Block are inspiring.

sent from mah gun,using my sights