PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Stock Question

ladders1901
10-14-12, 13:06
I'm considering an entry length fixed stock for my next build. In a perfect world, I would prefer a shortened A2 with storage, but I haven't found anything like that yet.

Any recommendations? I have looked at the Rock River Entry, Sully and Ace, but could use some help.

Thank you.

Stickman
10-14-12, 13:59
I'm considering an entry length fixed stock for my next build. In a perfect world, I would prefer a shortened A2 with storage, but I haven't found anything like that yet.

Any recommendations? I have looked at the Rock River Entry, Sully and Ace, but could use some help.

Thank you.

Have you looked at the CavArms model? A1 length with storage... I don't have personal hands on with one, but its the only thing that jumps out at me. Someone else may have better intel.

ladders1901
10-14-12, 14:34
Thank you Stick, I'll check it out. Ideally, I would like to find something even shorter.

gearguy
10-14-12, 14:43
This is the first thing I thought of because I'm probably going to pick one up in the next few days. Its not short but I liked it the most. It isn't exactly an A-2 but i think it resembles one.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG404/181

rauchman
10-14-12, 16:59
I live in a ban state and I'm running the A1 version of this...

http://www.vltor.com/rifle-modstock.htm

markm
10-15-12, 08:45
Have you looked at the CavArms model? A1 length with storage... I don't have personal hands on with one, but its the only thing that jumps out at me. Someone else may have better intel.

Yeah... the Cavarms model is so-so. If you get it from Fulton Armory they put a better butt plate on it.

The MOE stock is too long for most applications. I was more excited about it when I thought it was A1 length.

I have a cool design in my head... I hope to get a mock up to see if there'd be any interest... but it strikes me as a niche market.

RyanB
10-15-12, 10:42
I've been saying for years that a Sully stock with an A5 buffer would be ideal for most shooters.

markm
10-15-12, 11:38
I've been saying for years that a Sully stock with an A5 buffer would be ideal for most shooters.

I've never handled one. Aren't they a little weighty?

newyork
10-15-12, 13:05
A little heavy, very solid. Some think its too short. For me it's perfect as I'm in a ban state and don't like A1 length. Wish it were lighter. It's 8" plus I put a DD Burnsed loop that adds maybe 1/4". There's also an extension for the Sully

ladders1901
10-15-12, 20:21
Thank you for all of your responses.

I like the Sully, but it doesn't have any storage. When I asked if he was considering a model with storage he replied that he wasn't.

I would like to find something that would work with a carbine length extension.

SA80Dan
10-15-12, 21:32

I like the Sully, but it doesn't have any storage. When I asked if he was considering a model with storage he replied that he wasn't.

If you want to use your existing carbine extension, the VLTOR stock previously linked will work, but the A1 length will be A2 at shortest possible with a carbine extension - it has battery storage, but thats it.

A stock I really like with a huge storage compartment and good value for money is the Mags EFX-A1, which can be bought as a complete kit from stag, including the receiver extension:

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?products_id=373

- solid, great cheekweld but somewhat weighty.

jmart
10-16-12, 09:39

Presupossing the Sully incorporated storage, what are your storage requirements? Could youd you use the storage provided by a grip instead and meet your requirement, or do yo you requre additional storage volume?

rauchman
10-16-12, 11:13
A little heavy, very solid. Some think its too short. For me it's perfect as I'm in a ban state and don't like A1 length. Wish it were lighter. It's 8" plus I put a DD Burnsed loop that adds maybe 1/4". There's also an extension for the Sully

Do you know if they are moving forward w/ utilizing some sort of A5 extension in the Sully Stock? I know it was mentioned some time ago, but haven't heard any more on this.

SomeOtherGuy
10-16-12, 11:32
A stock I really like with a huge storage compartment and good value for money is the Mags EFX-A1, which can be bought as a complete kit from stag, including the receiver extension:

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?products_id=373

- solid, great cheekweld but somewhat weighty.

I've been using one of these for a while and really like it. It seems very strong and solid, and the size and shape work for me. It is A1 length, while the new Magpul stock is very close to A2 length.

Stag Arms has a good deal on the EFX-A1 as a complete kit. If you want just the stock itself to install on an existing buffer tube, JoeBob Outfitters has the stock alone for around $60.

newyork
10-16-12, 12:06
Not sure. Just bought another Sully and saw no mention of it.

Do you know if they are moving forward w/ utilizing some sort of A5 extension in the Sully Stock? I know it was mentioned some time ago, but haven't heard any more on this.

ladders1901
10-16-12, 21:14
@jsmart

I'm looking for storage capacity similar to an A2 for storage of things like a cleaning kit and/or spare parts.

MassMark
10-16-12, 23:25
It's too bad about the storage requirement - I have the Sully and the extension - I love it.

Sticks
10-17-12, 05:24
As it happens, I have a PSA A2 stock, that I ended up with (bought the stock kit, all I needed was the RE assembly). It has the massive storage in the stock, HD lid and latch - not cheap plastic.

Yours for $40 delivered if it suits your needs. Will include spacer and screw.