PDA

View Full Version : La Rue rails.

Hern13
10-14-12, 20:39
I love the practicality I see in the La Rue hand guards used on the PredatAR series. I'm having trouble finding something similar I can use on my own build. Anybody have suggestions? Noveske hand guards seem sort of promising..

bp7178
10-14-12, 21:19
You're going to have to explain a little more what you're looking for.

If its just a minimal type of rail, the Noveske NSR and KAC URX-III or URX 3.1 are good choices. Remington has a really intresting looking design in the works, but I haven't seen it hit the retail side yet.

jaxman7
10-14-12, 21:20
Too many choices to choose from:

For ease of installation try something like Rainier's Evo rail. It uses the factory barrel nut. For lightweight, slimmest profile (retains slim profile even with panels) the NSR is extremely easy to consider among the crowd. Not to mention the advantages of the Keymod system. More specifically the future advantages of the system as we've yet to see all the goodness yet.

If money is an option then the Rainier/Samson is hard to beat.

If LaRue would somehow reconfigure their PredatAR tubes to fit a standard upper receiver with a proprietary barrel nut and sell them as an add on I'd definitely be on board.

-Jax

Stickman
10-14-12, 21:34
I love the practicality I see in the La Rue hand guards used on the PredatAR series. I'm having trouble finding something similar I can use on my own build. Anybody have suggestions? Noveske hand guards seem sort of promising..

So what is it that you actually like about it? I'm not sure how anyone is going to make a guess without more info. You say you like the Noveske, does that mean the NSR? If so, go with the NSR.

Alex V
10-15-12, 09:50
I have only had my PredetAR for a little over a week but I would have to say it is my favorite rail.

For the record, I am a total noob, but I have a Troy MRF on my BM, a 12" Troy TRX Extreme on my fiance's AR, and a LaRue 13.2" on my SPR build.

The PredetAR rail is closest to the TRX Extreme obviously, but its smoother and feels more comfortable in my hand. The PredetAR rail is way longer than I need as I am only 5'-9" tall and standing squared up I can not reach the end of it. I have 11 of the compatible rail sections attached (4 on each side and 3 on the bottom) with a hand stop. I think this works better than the rubber o-ring looking things that Troy has for their rail.

I think the Noveske rail is closest to the PredetAR one (based on photos I have seen). The URX3 seems close based on the pics but it has the three rail sections on the front end where the LaRue one can have them added as you choose.

Just my noob take on it.

justin_247
10-15-12, 13:57
The ones most similar to the LaRue PredatAR rails are probably the rails from Geissele.

As far as modularity with lots of options (such as handstops, rails, sling swivel mounts, and an panels), the Noveske NSR is probably the most similar.

bp7178
10-15-12, 18:24
The ones most similar to the LaRue PredatAR rails are probably the rails from Geissele.

Except its incredibly heavy. Poor market research on Geissele's part. Every rail on the market it going lighter/minimal, and they release a rail which doesn't have full length rails and is heavier than rails that do.

IMO, the brilliance of the Larue design is the way it attatches to the upper and uses a barrel nut which can be wrenched with standard tools.

justin_247
10-15-12, 18:31
Except its incredibly heavy. Poor market research on Geissele's part. Every rail on the market it going lighter/minimal, and they release a rail which doesn't have full length rails and is heavier than rails that do.

IMO, the brilliance of the Larue design is the way it attatches to the upper and uses a barrel nut which can be wrenched with standard tools.

I think you're confused here... we're not talking about the standard LaRue handguards with the two-pin barrel nut system - we're talking about the handguards on LaRue's PredatAR, which requires a specially designed upper receiver assembly available ONLY from LaRue.

And I don't disagree about the Geissele's weight issues. I've discussed my distaste for the system before...

bp7178
10-15-12, 18:53
I think you're confused here... we're not talking about the standard LaRue handguards with the two-pin barrel nut system - we're talking about the handguards on LaRue's PredatAR, which requires a specially designed upper receiver assembly available ONLY from LaRue.

And I don't disagree about the Geissele's weight issues. I've discussed my distaste for the system before...

I wrote about the rail found on the Predatar/PredatOBR series. Four Allen screws attach it to a flange machined on the host upper. The barrel nut under it is just a large brass 8-sided nut.

I have no issue with the fact that it only works with their upper with the flange. I just wish they would sell the rail and upper w/o having to buy a complete rifle with a very long wait time.