PDA

View Full Version : After much thought, I have decided to purchase the finest polymer pistol ever made.

chairforce26
10-15-12, 00:44
The Smith & Wesson M&P 9. Some of you may have read my previous thread in the shotgun forum. I wasn't satisfied with my recent remington 870 purchase and will be returning it for an M&P9. Nothing wrong with the 870 per se, but the ergos were awful for me and I wasn't keen on spending more to upgrade something I feel should be standard on an HD shotgun, an adjustable stock.

So anyway this will be my first pistol. Decided on 9mm for availability and low cost. I'm excited. Not happy about having to wait days to pick it up though, stupid gun laws.

citizensoldier16
10-15-12, 00:52
With 13 posts you're going to assert that the M&P9 is the finest polymer pistol ever made? Better don your flak jacket.

chairforce26
10-15-12, 01:00
With 13 posts you're going to assert that the M&P9 is the finest polymer pistol ever made? Better don your flak jacket.

Well I could be DEVGRU, or just a house wife in suburbia for all you know. Let me put it this way on the M&P9, I couldn't find a reason why the Glock or the XDs were better, admittedly I never looked into any others.

citizensoldier16
10-15-12, 01:03
admittedly I never looked into any others.

Sounds like something we might hear from TOS. :rolleyes:

Omega Man
10-15-12, 01:08
Assuming makes an ass out of you and ... oh never mind! :D

chairforce26
10-15-12, 01:23
Sounds like something we might hear from TOS. :rolleyes:
TOS...as in The Original Series? This isn't a star trek forum is it?

I like the m&p9 better than the other two. So I'm buying it, end of story. Anyone who has one is more than welcome to leave their thoughts on this pistol vs others.

GUNSLINGER733
10-15-12, 01:34
I have 2 m&p 9s and have had a glock 22 .40. All shoot good. My pros and cons list:

GLOCK - PROS
Easy to get parts
Parts = cheap $$
Hundreds of vendors
Shoots fine OTB
Sights work
Internals function as they're supposed to
CONS
I personally feel the grip is too large
Trigger isn't great
Rear sight looks like a pos
No ambi
Ergonomics

M&P -
Pros
Factory Novak sights
Ambi slide catch and safety if you opt for that model
Ergonomics are awesome
Shoots good OTB
Internals are really similar to Glock
Aesthetically looks sweet
CONS
Trigger needs work
Not as much aftermarket gear
White dots on rear sight are pointless
Should come with 1000 rd box of ammo:)

They both are very similar and would feel confident carrying or gaming with either or.

Magic_Salad0892
10-15-12, 02:04
How long have you used the platform?

Are you familiar with it's pros and cons?

Have you used Glock, Walther, and HK platforms?

How long have you been shooting handguns?

What are your tactical needs?

If you ignore these questions then you wasted your money, or will not fit in here.

chairforce26
10-15-12, 02:44
How long have you used the platform?

Are you familiar with it's pros and cons?

Have you used Glock, Walther, and HK platforms?

How long have you been shooting handguns?

What are your tactical needs?

If you ignore these questions then you wasted your money, or will not fit in here.

I've shot a glock, CZ75, M9. I liked the glock the best but wanted a gun with a manual safety, and M&Ps fit the bill nicely, ergos are great, unlike the glock. Freind, one doesn't have to shoot every pistol to know the m&p is a solid gun. I want it, so I will buy it. My tactical needs, well...I want to be able shoot and kill someone any time, any where I feel threatened to the point I fear for my. life. Look I'm not a sorority girl, so fitting in isn't my primary concern here. And friend, as for wasting my money, I'll be the judge of what is a waste of my money or not.

Magic_Salad0892
10-15-12, 03:07
I've shot a glock, CZ75, M9. I liked the glock the best but wanted a gun with a manual safety, and M&Ps fit the bill nicely, ergos are great, unlike the glock. Freind, one doesn't have to shoot every pistol to know the m&p is a solid gun. I want it, so I will buy it. My tactical needs, well...I want to be able shoot and kill someone any time, any where I feel threatened to the point I fear for my. life. Look I'm not a sorority girl, so fitting in isn't my primary concern here. And friend, as for wasting my money, I'll be the judge of what is a waste of my money or not.

Not really related, but why did you want a manual safety?

chairforce26
10-15-12, 03:10
Not really related, but why did you want a manual safety?

I don't have a ton of experience shooting pistols and am not comfortable with the idea of my first handgun not having a manual safety. Call me paranoid if you wish.

captdreifus
10-15-12, 04:21
I don't have a ton of experience shooting pistols and am not comfortable with the idea of my first handgun not having a manual safety. Call me paranoid if you wish.

So you are a house wife in suburbia? :secret:

As for not feeling comfortable, as most if not all of us would suggest: quality training.

Good luck with your purchase

Arik
10-15-12, 07:52
Your first safety is whats between your ears and your trigger finger. Modern striker fired guns dont need a safety. If im not mistaken that safety was added for the military trials (which required it)and and a few states that require it.

Your second best safety from accidentally discharge, negligent discharge is a quality GUN belt and holster. These will help prevent anything from getting in between the trigger guard and also make conceal carry much more comfortable. But if you must have that safety the MP is a good choice. I have the .45 and really like it. Had the 9 but for some reason couldnt warm up to it. I stick with Glock and HK for my 9mm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Deputy Dan
10-15-12, 08:49
You may get a good one... my M&P 9 FS shoots like ass with 115 or 124gr ammunition (8" or more at 25 yds)

It only shoots acceptable groups (4 inches is the best I can wring out of it freestyle) with 147gr ammunition. In comparison, my G19, G17, PPQ 9mm and USP 9 shoots anything you feed it, with good accuracy (3 inch group or so). Hell, my Walther P-1 shoots better than my M&P 9.

Once Bar-Sto gets the barrel for the M&P worked out, my M&P will be getting a new tube.

Hogsgunwild
10-15-12, 08:53
You have made a good choice for a first pistol. It is definitely not the "finest polymer pistol ever made" to many of us but hopefully it works out well for you. There are a lot of good choices out there these days and we are lucky for that. You will learn that what works for one person does not work so well for the next person. It is a very personal and subjective issue, picking a handgun.

It will be interesting to hear what you think of your M&P in six months, one year from now, two years from now, etc. My carry gun selection has been an ongoing project consisting of trial and error over many years and many dollars. It is an important decision that evolves as you find what features and brands work best at whatever skill level that you are at at any given time.

You have a long and winding path in front of you, grasshopper.

Army Chief
10-15-12, 09:03
I'm sorry, but we're going to shut this one down before it devolves into a nasty back lot brawl like so many similar threads before it.

To the OP, you simply cannot show up at a professional site like M4C, make unequivocal statements like this (i.e. finest polymer pistol ever made -- and your first) and expect them to fly. Speaking in such absolutes runs completely counter to reason, and more to the point, the practice destroys your credibility even before the reader can get to the body of your message to see what you're actually talking about.

None of this is to say that S&W's M&P 9 doesn't represent an extremely strong contender in the marketplace, but just because they happen to be your first choice, it doesn't necessarily translate that all will agree with you. Recommend that you learn to make more defensible claims based upon a more informed body of knowledge so as to avoid future embarassment here, as many in our membership become quickly irritated by this kind of breathless hype.

As an aside, for my money, the Walter PPQ is actually a better choice.

AC