PDA

View Full Version : Need a light mount for my 870 (recomendations)

kbi
02-09-08, 16:30
Hey everyone I recently started throwing some accessories on my O/D 870 Tactical

Over size safety
Tacstar 6 rd side saddle
Spectre sling ( very nice )

And other then fiddling with the sights ( not high on my list ) I want to put a flash light mount on it. I saw a shotgun in one of those gun magazines a few months back but didnt give it a 2nd thought till recently.

The mount fit between the bottom of the barrel and top of the magazine tube and the light was off to the side which is what I want to replace th e factory barrel clamp.

Any recomendations of suggestions?

Thanks all

Jay Cunningham
02-09-08, 16:38
Spend the money on the Surefire fore end.

m24shooter
02-10-08, 10:02
What he said. Putting a light where you are talking about means two things: either you're going to have reach forward to hit the tailcap or you are going to need a switch cord.
Reaching forward could be a little awkward depending on the length of your arms and where you grip the foreend.
Having a tape switch means risking that thing getting caught in the action, or caught on whatever, or getting pulled loose, or any number of other things.
On the 870 (or any pump gun) you would be much better off with the SF weaponlight.

scottp999
02-10-08, 10:45
Great topic. Will be looking at surefire myself. :D

TOrrock
02-10-08, 11:18
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/Nightfighter003.jpg

Buck
02-10-08, 13:35
Surefire is the king of the plains...

kbi
02-10-08, 17:54
The Surefire FA series (618/918) lights are nice but $$$$ .

I did see the surefire 870 railed M69 forend a few weeks ago and all that seems to need is a rail cover(s) .

FJB
02-10-08, 18:25
kbi,
Save your pennies and get the Surefire forend FA 618/918. "Trying to save a dime you'll spend a dollar." RAB (my dad) "Buy cheap, buy twice." Pat Rogers' dad.

Also, I recommend the VangCompSystems jumbo head safety.

S/F

PALADIN-hgwt
02-11-08, 14:23
xxxxx

toddackerman
02-16-08, 09:03
Another vote for the Sure Fire. You won't regret it. You can find them for under $200 used on the EE forum on TOS if you're patient.

jwalk84
02-17-08, 18:14
I will echo the majority and also say go with the Surefire forend. It is by far the best shotgun light system out there. It can seem a little pricey, but you definately get what you pay for.

I'll also second the VangComp jumbo head safety.

Justin

Pullo
02-18-08, 06:58
What you saw was probably the Mesa Tactical magazine clamp,
it has a rail and mounts like you said.

It fills the gap ,literally, for people wanting a barrel clamp using the Vang extension.

However, It is better as a clamp, go with the Sure-fire forend as a light source.

kaltblitz
02-26-08, 18:54
I use an original (old style) Surefire 618 on my work gun. It's by far my favorite. I find it less bulky then all the alternatives.

Erick Gelhaus
02-27-08, 00:15
Buy the SF replacement forearm & be done with it.

Seen more than a couple folks at who had to buy twice AFTER not listening and getting one of those bolt on mounts. They work when searching, but position your hand too far forward and you run the risk of noticing it under recoil &/or when you run the slide.

Just my observation.

wicked_police
03-04-08, 18:05
I put a 618FA with KL5 LED head on my 870 Tactical, along with a 14" barrel, Mesa stock adapter and Magpul CTR, and Aimpoint T-1.

Works great and I would recommend the Surefire along with almost everyone else.

sparrow
03-06-08, 22:55
Another vote for the Surefire set up...that LED head look familiar Wicked_Police:D
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/sgaaliyah/870Pparts002.jpg

wicked_police
03-07-08, 07:52
Looks VERY familiar!

I want your barrel though. :p

PALADIN-hgwt
03-07-08, 12:33
xxxxx

wicked_police
03-07-08, 13:40
It is a KL3 in the pic.

My KL5 is almost a greenish color. Matches the 870 tactical pretty good. I have a picture on imageshack, but can't remember my login...

I prefered the 5 cause it has a wider beam, which works better for me in the intended role of the gun, room clearing and cqb work.

Fozzy_Bear
03-11-08, 10:39
While I certainly wouldn't want to spend too much time argueing AGAINST a surefire... I spent a lot less money and am happy with my results.

I got a reletively cheap Tri-Rail mount that clamps to the barrel and mag-tube (off of eBay for like 15 bucks). Then I went to my favorite gun web site and bought a 3/4 inch ring mount and a pressure switch designed for a mini maglight ( total CTD order was 12 dollars plus shipping).

Now, No. The dual AA maglight doesn't perform in the same league as the Surefire... But it does light up a dark room enough and it reaches the paultry 10 yards that is the longest line of sight in my house. And on my particular gun, there is no issue (as mentioned above) with accidentally bumping it.

I had a miniMag already, so I'm happy for under $30.00.

- Just a thought... But yeah, the Surefire is definately the way to go if you can swing it.