PDA

View Full Version : Multi caliber BUG??

AFCATM
10-15-12, 11:00
I am thinking of getting a 640 and sending it out to get (along with an extra cyliner assembly) for fitting of both and one to be rechambered to 9mm. This way I can change the caliber for the main gun I carry. I was just playing with this idea. I carry a glock 19 and a smith 19. So for me to have a caliber compatible BUG sounds good to me. I could later buy another J frame and leave it 9mm or I could get another 9mm semi later.

Just an idea I was messing around with. Anyone do or go through the same stuff as this?

ImBroke
10-15-12, 16:16
What is your thinking on the advantage of having the 9mm backup to your main carry? I'm talking about in an actual situation where you would have to use it and the advantage of having the same caliber.

In other words, how would the 9mm revolver a better choice over the .38. When you will have to deal with the cost of the conversion and the finickiness of the required moonclips.

Up1911fan
10-15-12, 17:58
I'd just search for a used 940. Even with a new cylinder, the bore is still going to be sized for a .357" bullet vs. the .355" of the 9mm.

Matt C.
10-15-12, 23:40
I'd just search for a used 940. Even with a new cylinder, the bore is still going to be sized for a .357" bullet vs. the .355" of the 9mm.

These 9mm conversions have a good record at TOS. No real issue with the .357 barrels. There are 9mm barrels out there ( I have a few in stock) but then your project starts to get pricey. Finding a 940 is a good suggestion ( and what I'm carrying now).

kmrtnsn
10-16-12, 01:04
Do they use something akin to a half-moon clip?

chadbag
10-16-12, 01:45
Even with a new cylinder, the bore is still going to be sized for a .357" bullet vs. the .355" of the 9mm.

You'd be surprised at how many 9mm guns out there have bores bigger than .355. My brother's Beretta 92/M9A1 has a factory barrel that slugs to .357

Matt C.
10-16-12, 09:10
Do they use something akin to a half-moon clip?

Yes, they use moon clips.

kmrtnsn
10-16-12, 16:42
A three rd and a two rd? I guess you have to hope you have the right combination of moon clips in your hand, reloading under duress.

Up1911fan
10-16-12, 17:15
A three rd and a two rd? I guess you have to hope you have the right combination of moon clips in your hand, reloading under duress.

They use full moon clips. Atleast the 940 does.

Matt C.
10-16-12, 17:27
They use full moon clips. Atleast the 940 does.

Yep, 5 rd moonclips.

Here's one cut for moonclips and re-barrled.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/Stutzen/SW642006.jpg

kmrtnsn
10-16-12, 20:49
Okay. Now I get it (not enought coffee today, for sure). I was looking at my 340PD, trying to figure out how they made the moon clips work and automatically assumed it would be like the only 9mm revolver I had ever seen, a Ruger SP101 a friend got in some kind of set with a Ruger Auto he bought years back. That 9mm auto used, as I recall, two half moon clips. I always thought that loading the half moon clips, then loading the cylinder was a pain in the ass. (Re)loading moon clips from a magazine from a primary isn't anything anyone is really going to be doing in an emergency and under duress. I think one would be better served with a couple of Speedstrips in the original .357mag or .38spcl +Ps.

oldgus3836
10-17-12, 02:30
I believe there is a company who can convert the pistol to either the 38 or 9mm heck I think he can do 38 super also.

AFCATM
10-17-12, 03:31
Thanks for the responses and ideas. KMR it would be just for ammo purposes. I would not load moon clips from a mag. Just buying moon clips and carrying them.

Matt C.
10-17-12, 11:09
I believe there is a company who can convert the pistol to either the 38 or 9mm heck I think he can do 38 super also.

Pinnacle-guns.com

Quote;That 9mm auto used, as I recall, two half moon clips. I always thought that loading the half moon clips....

That would be Speed/Security/Service-Six in 9mm (a revolver that came from the factory with 1/2 moon clips).

Big A
10-19-12, 08:44
AFCATM,

Why not get one of the smaller 9mm semiauto's like the S&W Sheild, Walther PPS, Baretta Nano, Ruger LC9, Kel-Tec PF9 or Glock 26? All should meet your needs for a BUG and would cost just about as much as, if not less than, finding a S&W 940 or having a .38spc converted to 9mm.

Alaskapopo
10-20-12, 00:15
What is your thinking on the advantage of having the 9mm backup to your main carry? I'm talking about in an actual situation where you would have to use it and the advantage of having the same caliber.

In other words, how would the 9mm revolver a better choice over the .38. When you will have to deal with the cost of the conversion and the finickiness of the required moonclips.

The 9mm offers way better ballistics and far quicker reloads when compared to the .38. Down side is moon clips can get bent and extraction can be iffy with +p and +p+ loads.
Pat

Jake'sDad
10-20-12, 16:24
The 9mm offers way better ballistics and far quicker reloads when compared to the .38. Down side is moon clips can get bent and extraction can be iffy with +p and +p+ loads.
Pat

Yeah, I have a couple S&W J .38's that are factory cut for clips, and it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seemed like a good idea at the time.