PDA

View Full Version : 3D models. Anyone using them?

Ghost__1
10-15-12, 20:42
Not sure if this is the right Place for this however my question is....

Do any of you use a 3d model software to check things before or is their some demand or interest to start?

Ive been working on a dimensionally correct model in Google sketchup and while not completely finished is the only one I know of. Also finished a correct or semi correct Magpul MOE grip.
This would include accessories, Rails, Optics, Stocks etc.

If you have ideas of different things you would like to see me model post with your answer to above or PM.

Ex
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee418/Matthew_Fairbanks/Sr16URXREAL.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee418/Matthew_Fairbanks/Sr16URXREAL2.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee418/Matthew_Fairbanks/Sr16URXREAL3.jpg

NickB
10-16-12, 01:59
Do any of you use a 3d model software to check things before or is their some demand or interest to start?

What exactly would one "check" with these types of 3D models? :confused:

Ghost__1
10-16-12, 09:40
Well for instance the reason i was interested in modeling this was to check fitment. I wanted to build a mk18 and have a bbl cut down to shortest length possible and still able to fit a can with the dd rail.

Also i know that some can use this to put a weapon together to see how it may look and if it will work. I don't mean if it looks cool but i suppose that's a plus to some. Not really a requirement for me.

Ghost__1
10-16-12, 14:55
No problem. If no one else is interested I certainly don't mind.
Thanks for the time.

markm
10-16-12, 15:09
How does this program work? I'd like to mock up a fixed stock design that I've come up with, but I don't even know where to begin.

Ghost__1
10-16-12, 15:17
You can download free software from Google.
The pro version is $500 but the basic is really good.
I've designed houses supressors and downloaded the model above and tried to true the spec as it was completely wrong. Designed the grip and pretty much redesigned the entire lower. The best advice I can give you is to get on there and toy around with a downloaded model.

I can help you if you have questions however I have no formal experience or training with CAD design. I'm completely self taught.

Here is the link markm
http://www.sketchup.com/

Here is the link for models.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/?hl=en

You do have to have a google account.

markm
10-16-12, 15:23
Thanks. I'll check it out.

FlyingAttackPorcupine
10-21-12, 09:39
There are already CAD files out there for uppers and lowers that will import into programs like solid works, along with various other AR15 components. I'm not sure if the Google program supports this but check some of the home gunsmithing forums and you should find a few of the basic things.

Ghost__1
10-21-12, 14:03
There are already CAD files out there for uppers and lowers that will import into programs like solid works, along with various other AR15 components. I'm not sure if the Google program supports this but check some of the home gunsmithing forums and you should find a few of the basic things.

No you are right. Models are available in solidworks. I'm not at a time in my life to spend that kind of chedda and be able to justify it reasonably in my head.

The sketch up was going to be a low cost option for folks that wanted to do that.

PFran42
10-24-12, 22:46
No you are right. Models are available in solidworks. I'm not at a time in my life to spend that kind of chedda and be able to justify it reasonably in my head.

The sketch up was going to be a low cost option for folks that wanted to do that.

I think you might have a marketable product if you could properly render build components from popular manufacturers and allow end-users to "build" a rifle before they actually have to lay down serious cash just find out that they weren't crazy about it after they assembled the various pieces.

I for one would pay good money to be able to see and rotationally manipulate a 3D model of say an Adams Arms piston kit mated to various FF modular rails that are cut out for, but protrude past the gas block. I'd also get a kick out of trying out different stocks, fore grips and other accessories on my 3D build before ordering $3K worth of parts, assembling the rifle and then promptly selling $1K of those parts on the various AR forums.

This would probably be very difficult to bring to fruition with all of the trademark, copyright and licensing pieces in play but it could work if properly backed and perhaps attached to an eCommerce storefront that would allow you to order said parts directly from the application hosting the 3D builds.

PFran42
10-24-12, 22:54

I think you might have a marketable product if you could properly render build components from popular manufacturers and allow end-users to "build" a rifle before they actually have to lay down serious cash just find out that they weren't crazy about it after they assembled the various pieces.

I for one would pay good money to be able to see and rotationally manipulate a 3D model of say an Adams Arms piston kit mated to various FF modular rails that are cut out for, but protrude past the gas block. I'd also get a kick out of trying out different stocks, fore grips and other accessories on my 3D build before ordering $3K worth of parts, assembling the rifle and then promptly selling $1K of those parts on the various AR forums.

This would probably be very difficult to bring to fruition with all of the trademark, copyright and licensing pieces in play but it could work if properly backed and perhaps attached to an eCommerce storefront that would allow you to order said parts directly from the application hosting the 3D builds.

Sticks
10-25-12, 05:26
Slightly off topic, but does this program allow you to take a .jpeg picture of something and set the scale to show the measurements? I browsed the home page and did not see anything that specifically stated such.

tb-av
10-25-12, 09:20
I was wondering the same thing. How do people get the dimensions for so many various things.

I just can't imagine sitting down with calipers and getting all the measurements I see on some of those models.

Ghost__1
10-25-12, 15:22

I have no interest in making money of of it. When i said low cost i meant to the person interested. The software is free. My end would be to design and help someone put something together that they could then download themselves to work with free of charge. As far as copyright i don't think that sketch up has any way to work into any cnc for production. It would just be a way to see it on paper if you will. I would not be selling anything and give the rights to the respective manufacturers whom did the original designs. The upper above is pretty much an HK416 lower with some slight differences. All models on the 3d warehouse from google are free downloads.

Ghost__1
10-25-12, 15:26
Slightly off topic, but does this program allow you to take a .jpeg picture of something and set the scale to show the measurements? I browsed the home page and did not see anything that specifically stated such.

So far I've had to measure all respective dimensions. I know that there are indeed programs to use a .jpeg to get those respective measurements forever i am unsure of the compatibility with Sketchup.

PFran42
10-25-12, 15:41
I have no interest in making money of of it. When i said low cost i meant to the person interested. The software is free. My end would be to design and help someone put something together that they could then download themselves to work with free of charge. As far as copyright i don't think that sketch up has any way to work into any cnc for production. It would just be a way to see it on paper if you will. I would not be selling anything and give the rights to the respective manufacturers whom did the original designs. The upper above is pretty much an HK416 lower with some slight differences. All models on the 3d warehouse from google are free downloads.

I got the gist of what you were putting out there originally. I was just taking the whole thing a step further and waxing poetic about it.

If one could get the CADs for various component/accessory designs and have them incorporated into an "AR builder" type application, I think it would be a win/win for all parties involved. Great work by the way!

Ghost__1
10-25-12, 15:52
If one could get the CADs for various component/accessory designs and have them incorporated into an "AR builder" type application, I think it would be a win/win for all parties involved. Great work by the way!

This is exactly what I had in mind. I would be willing to do the leg work. Mostly out of sheer boredom. I have been looking for solid work since I got out of the Army last Nov. Better than mischief. Not sure how long it would take me. I have ten hours into the grip but that was really where I learned alot of the advanced techniques.

PFran42
10-25-12, 16:02
This is exactly what I had in mind. I would be willing to do the leg work. Mostly out of sheer boredom. I have been looking for solid work since I got out of the Army last Nov. Better than mischief. Not sure how long it would take me. I have ten hours into the grip but that was really where I learned alot of the advanced techniques.

I would take the route of talking to the major manufacturers in order to get their original CAD files (or whatever file types they use). No need to reverse engineer anything. Your task would be converting all file types to one you choose to use. You would also have to figure out a way to cleverly "link" pieces within the UI. Something like a magnet effect might work for this. All you need is an accurate graphical representation of everything. You already have a lower and an upper so most legwork is already complete of close to being finished. The major hurdle here is convincing the manufacturers that you are not going to use their design specs to make your own products. I'm sure there is some sort of NDA or non-compete that could be drafted to address this. You sell it as a sales tool. People build a rifle, and then order the parts if they like what they created.

PFran42
10-25-12, 16:05
Also... Brownell's has something like this but it could be much, much better in my opinion.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

Being able to rotate the final build would be a huge plus in my book.

Ghost__1
10-25-12, 16:30
Also... Brownell's has something like this but it could be much, much better in my opinion.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

Being able to rotate the final build would be a huge plus in my book.

This is the same reason I had this idea. I felt that one was lacking for the reach of it. It looks neat but what I want people to know is will that gas block fit that bbl under that rail? if I buy that rail and want to put a suppressor on it how much clearance will I have with mount, can, and rail?

The only other advantage it would bring is those that want to see how their rifle would look. I don't really care about aesthetics as much as fitment. I would not recommend using any program to help you make decisions to determine accessories for the fact that you have no idea what will work for you unless you can try it for real or you at least have some experience with said accessory.