PDA

View Full Version : Tents

ASH556
10-16-12, 14:23
My entire scouting career, SOP was to place a tarp under your tent (with the edges folded UNDERNEATH the tent so as to not collect water runoff from the tent sides) and another tarp over the tent. If you didn't, you got wet.

Seems to me now, that there should be a tent that doesn't leak. Granted, the only tents I've ever had came from Walmart.

Do they make tents that don't leak or is a Tarp still required? Is there such a thing as a lightweight tarp?

run n gun
10-16-12, 14:43
I think its called a rain fly? most tents have one, and a ground cloth is probably still a good idea.

BradCMSP
10-16-12, 14:47
I use a standard tarp under my tent, as you described, to keep the bottom from being damaged while car camping.

I have never used a tarp over it, and have never been wet, my rain fly works great.

For backpacking, a small piece of tyvek works great as a footprint.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53813

ASH556
10-16-12, 14:59
I think its called a rain fly? most tents have one, and a ground cloth is probably still a good idea.

Ha, the "rain fly" that came with my tents were a joke at best. They hook onto the tent and only cover about the top 1/3 of it.

run n gun
10-16-12, 15:08
Seems to me now, that there should be a tent that doesn't leak. Granted, the only tents I've ever had came from Walmart.

I wouldn't really expect a Wal-Mart tent to have a full rain fly but I wouldn't expect a tent with a full rain fly to be overly expensive.

ASH556
10-16-12, 15:21
I wouldn't really expect a Wal-Mart tent to have a full rain fly but I wouldn't expect a tent with a full rain fly to be overly expensive.

I think you're right. This looks like the current version of what I have (mine is a different color and probably 6 years old):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-7-x-7-Sundome-Tent-Sleeps-3/13849028

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/65/01/00/0007650100700_60X60.gif

So in searching and reading some, it looks like a guy could get a pretty good Eureka with a full rain fly for about $150?

run n gun
10-16-12, 15:25
Eureka makes pretty good kit. REI and Campmor usually have pretty good prices too

skullworks
10-16-12, 15:41
REI is gtg.

I've used Hilleberg tents both in the service and as a civvie (Keron in the service and Akto these days). Most if not all of their tents come with a waterproof floor, but they also sell ground pads if you want to add additional insulation or want to have a floor in the outer tent.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

sammage
10-16-12, 15:45
My cheapo tent is the Coleman you linked to, and have had no leakage issues through quite a few storms while car camping, some with upwards of 40 mph winds. The rain fly on those just covers the mesh windows; the side panels are designed to be exposed to the elements. Seam sealer, silicone spray, and a standard tarp under the tent. Any time I get a new tent, the first thing I do is seam seal and waterproof.

If you want something a bit stronger, check out the Eureka Timberline (aluminum A-frame construction).

MrCleanOK
10-16-12, 19:34
A good footprint protects the bottom of your tent. You could have the best waterproofed, sealed tent in the world, and you would still want to put a footprint under it. I like to use black 3 mil plastic as it's waterproof, cheap, and being black it dries quicker in the sun than other materials.

AKDoug
10-16-12, 22:44
You really get what you pay for. A quality tent will have a rain fly that will not allow rain to reach the tent walls and a floor that is waterproof without a ground cloth. A ground cloth is still a good idea to save wear and tear on your tent, but isn't always necessary. My goto tent for foul weather (rain for days, winds in excess of 40mph) is a Eureka K2XT. Completely bomb proof in my uses, but a bit heavy.

ASH556
10-18-12, 08:38
What is a good seam sealer/waterproof treatment to use?

beastfrog
10-18-12, 09:12
What is a good seam sealer/waterproof treatment to use?

Seam Grip

just a scout
10-18-12, 16:28
I've had a 3 man and a 8 man version of these (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents/Dome-Backpacking-Tents|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide174-Geodesic-Tent/714588.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-tents-dome-backpacking-tents%2F_%2FN-1100670%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104303880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104795280%253Bcat104779080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104795280%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat104303880) for 10 years with no problems or leaks. Awesome, but heavy an bulky tents. Not something for backpacking. Used them car camping and hunting with the truck as my LOGPAC. Good value. Just make sure and tie them don good. My 8 man survived a tornado or microburst that took out the rest of the campground.

karmapolice
10-18-12, 16:38
for ultralight buy sturdy great tents look at Big Agnes
https://www.bigagnes.com/

Ironman8
10-18-12, 17:14
Big Agnes Lynx Pass! I've had one for a while, haven't gotten to use it much to be honest, but it is solid, nice color, and very lightweight for a larger sized 2 person tent.

Oh, and very affordable. Especially when you compare size, weight, and features to other tents in this class.

rero360
10-20-12, 09:21
That's great to hear ironman8, I've been looking for a new tent as my issued black diamond Marine 2 man tent is heavier than what I would like for hiking and camping and have been eyeing the Big Agnes Lynx as my top pick for my price range and color requirements. Don't care how good a tent is, I can't do the bright or girly colors

the_master_midget
11-15-12, 16:58
I use big Agnes tent or a tent/tarp I build from a local fabric store. Its like the sil tarp ITS tactical uses on his blog and is an excellent ultra light alternative to a tent. Here in AZ water is a premium so sometimes the extra lbs of water is a good reason to shed the tents extra weight. I used the sil tarp idea also in Alaska this past summer but fortified it with wood and stuff since their were wolves and grizzlies in the area I was hunting/camping also I use a modified mosquito netting to keep the bugs off. I know you can get great deals on tents from promotive dot com that is where I bought mine. if you are mil, leo, pro outdoors man, or athlete they offer great discounts. I think I built my tarp for less then $30 in materials with para cord, tarp, netting, and hardware if your a DYI and have a girl who can sew your in luck.

hatidua
11-15-12, 19:12
REI is gtg.

I've used Hilleberg tents both in the service and as a civvie (Keron in the service and Akto these days). Most if not all of their tents come with a waterproof floor, but they also sell ground pads if you want to add additional insulation or want to have a floor in the outer tent.

The nice thing about the Hilleberg "footprint" (groundcloth) is that it clips in and is part of the tent at that point and need not be removed again - you leave it attached indefinitely. Additionally, some models come in a color they call "sand" which is probably the least obnoxious tent color I've seen. I just picked up another Staika and while costly, I don't think a better tent exists.....I've sadly tried just about everything made before I finally shelled out for Hilleberg.

theblackknight
11-19-12, 19:16
I've used dry grass and soft green stuff to build up bedding under a 2 man tent along with some drainage channels and it worked great. Everything else was wet tho.

http://terminallance.com/comics/2011-01-25-Strip_99_Platoon_Motivator_web.gif