PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a EO Tech?

Tim775
02-09-08, 22:18
Thinking about getting an EO Tech for my new LMT. Do I need purchase a seperate mount in order to raise it above FSB or will it work with my flatop as is? Thanks for your advice.

tiger seven
02-09-08, 23:40
It will work mounted directly on the receiver, but I prefer a QD mount - LaRue to be specific. I find it more comfortable (and faster) with the sight raised just a bit, I like having the QD capability, and I like the lower 1/3 co-witness better.

It's really just a personal preference sort of thing, as plenty of people run their EOTechs right on the rail. There's some more info here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9446

Derek

Tim775
02-10-08, 00:02
Thanks for your reply Tiger 7. I really hate to sound dumb, but since I am new to this and want to learn more, could you explain the meaning of co-witness.

tiger seven
02-10-08, 01:02
No problem. "Co-witness" refers to being able to see your iron sights through the optical sight. It basically means that if your EOTech malfunctions or the batteries die, you can transition to your iron sights without having to remove the EOTech.

With the EOTech mounted directly to the rail, the rear sight, red dot and front sight are usually directly in line. This means that if you look through the aperture of your rear sight, the center dot of the EOTech reticle will be just at the top of the front sight post. This is often referred to as "absolute co-witness." With a mount like the LaRue, the EOTech is raised just enough that the reticle will be above the front sight post, and the iron sights will be in the lower 1/3 of the "window" of the EOTech instead of directly in the center.

I hope that makes some sense, as I'm not the best at explaining this kind of stuff. Both systems work. It's really up to the individual to determine which works best for them.

Derek

Tim775
02-10-08, 01:16
Thanks again Tiger Seven.
Gottcha! Good explanation. Make good sense to me. I think I'm getting smarter day by day.

tiger seven
02-10-08, 08:05
Happy to help.

Here is the "Co-Witness Thread" with some more info:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4797

Derek

AnchorArmament
02-10-08, 12:42
We mount the EOTechs right on the rail.

Parabellum9x19mm
02-10-08, 13:01
i have a YHM riser for my EOTech on my 16" LMT

it was only around $30. its been working well so far, but i've only had the riser for about a month. not enough time or enough rounds for a real evaluation.

I would like to get a LaRue riser eventually, because I love LT products and haviong QD would be great, I just have a lot of other things I need to get too (of course). In the meantime I'll run the YHM.

what are other people's opinions on the YHM EOTech riser?

GaryXD
02-10-08, 18:05
I originally mounted my EOTech 552 right on the rail. Later I put a LaRue mount under it. I like the LaRue setup much better. That damn front sight post is more out of my way and with the sight higher it aligns naturally with my eye when I shoulder it.

M240B
02-10-08, 19:21
Here is a pic of my EOtech 553 that already has the ARMS quick throw mounts built right on. No need to buy anything else.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/SteveP229/CIMG2522.jpg

ST911
02-11-08, 09:37
Thinking about getting an EO Tech for my new LMT. Do I need purchase a seperate mount in order to raise it above FSB or will it work with my flatop as is? Thanks for your advice.

If you have your heart set on an Eotech, I highly recommend the Larue mount.

If you're options are open, an Aimpoint/Larue combo would be my choice.

Cuda444
02-11-08, 13:42
If you have your heart set on an Eotech, I highly recommend the Larue mount.

If you're options are open, an Aimpoint/Larue combo would be my choice.

+1 While I do prefer the aimpoint, I own one of each and each serves its purpose. Whichever optic you do choose, you can't go wrong with a Larue mount.

jmart
02-11-08, 18:38
i have a YHM riser for my EOTech on my 16" LMT

it was only around $30. its been working well so far, but i've only had the riser for about a month. not enough time or enough rounds for a real evaluation.

I would like to get a LaRue riser eventually, because I love LT products and haviong QD would be great, I just have a lot of other things I need to get too (of course). In the meantime I'll run the YHM.

what are other people's opinions on the YHM EOTech riser?

I've got one and it works fine for what its supposed to do. While the LaRue is the Cadillac, unless you need QD capability, I think the YHM is a decent option.

Blindpig
02-12-08, 10:01
I used a YHM rail riser on mine before I added the FF handguard and flip FSB. YHM makes good stuff for the money, IMO. I mount my EOTech directly on the receiver now and I really like the flip sights that give me an uncluttered view when the red dot is on. Here's my set up now:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/Hardball45/SWMP15015Small.jpg