PDA

View Full Version : 26 Things to do before the debt apocalypse

Doc Safari
10-17-12, 13:27
I'm thinking most would apply to the zombie invasion, too, but that's just me:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037577_debt_collapse_checklist_preparedness.html

See a holistic dentist and get the mercury removed from your mouth.

Buy some hardcopy books so you have something to read when the power grid fails.

Move your money out of the big globalist banks.

Bury your gold and silver. Use an appropriate container to protect from moisture and don't forget to tell someone else where you've buried things, just in case you don't make it.

Get the heck out of the city and learn some country living skills.

Pay off as many assets as you can so you have a clear title to anything you don't want the banks to seize.

Get right with God or whatever spiritual focal point you practice.

Wrap up needed apologies or forgiveness. Don't allow regrets to burden you in a time of crisis.

Make color copies of all your important documents, then store them in a safe place. (BTW, a bank's safe deposit box is NOT a safe place. Those will all be looted.)

Get off prescription meds. Any dependence on prescription drugs is a death wish in a collapse scenario.

Stock up on diatomaceous earth (DE) to protect your garden vegetables. The stuff stores forever.

Stock up on extra glasses or contact lenses if you might need them.

Get fit, you'll need to be more fit if you hope to survive.

Take out some cash and start saving nickels. Why? Because nickels are actually still worth a nickel in terms of what they're physically made of.

Learn to use shortwave radio, or better yet get a radio operator's license.

Learn and practice basic gardening skills.

Learn how to raise chickens, goats or other small animals.

Buy a premium-quality set of basic gardening tools, even if you don't yet garden.

Get training on how to use your firearms. When you really need them, there won't be time to practice. If you want to practice on your own, buy the new book by Joe Nobody, entitled, "The Home Schooled Shootist" and start using it.

If you own rifles, sight them all in and use threadlock on anything that might work itself loose in a firefight. You don't want your gear falling apart when you need it most.

Plant some figs, aloe vera or other low-maintenance food-producing plants. Do it now to give these plants as much time as possible to start producing food.

Stock up on salt, colloidal silver and other hard-to-get items that you'll routinely need.

Spend more time outdoors to get used to sunlight exposure.

Store away an emergency seed kit.

Get a reliable guard dog who can help provide protection for your family and property.

Buy extra pairs of socks. You can never have too many pairs of quality socks. And you absolutely do not want to have to make them yourself later on.

Todd.K
10-17-12, 14:17
Pay off as many assets as you can so you have a clear title to anything you don't want the banks to seize.

Wouldn't you want everything on credit if you really believe collapse and/or inflation is inevitable?

chadbag
10-17-12, 14:22
Wouldn't you want everything on credit if you really believe collapse and/or inflation is inevitable?

Depends on the kind of collapse. And the timing.

In a zombie apocalypse that might work. In a huge economic apocalypse, the banks will still try and repossess stuff from people not paying, I would guess.

Unsecured debt would not be "seizable" in general (IANAL or IANAA)

And who knows if it will happen next year, or in 10 years, or ever?

---

Doc Safari
10-17-12, 14:28
The one that concerns me is that when the government finally admits to itself that it can't print any more money, it's going to come for every retirement account in existence.

I'm also thinking they might come after them anyway at some point, but they will have to find one hell of an excuse.

Caeser25
10-17-12, 16:25
The one that concerns me is that when the government finally admits to itself that it can't print any more money, it's going to come for every retirement account in existence.

I'm also thinking they might come after them anyway at some point, but they will have to find one hell of an excuse.

A small minority have already said they want to nationalize 401ks and pensions to share with those that do not have retirement plans, ie, those on welfare.

Jellybean
10-17-12, 16:54
#27- Buy more ammo (or start reloading). :D

Buy some hardcopy books so you have something to read when the power grid fails.
For sure. Hard-copy manuals are important, but the last thing you want is ONLY manuals/info and no brainless reading material. Plus other stuff like board games.

Move your money out of the big globalist banks.
I find myself in the odd position of not having any money to put in a bank.... :laugh:

Bury your gold and silver. Use an appropriate container to protect from moisture and don't forget to tell someone else where you've buried things, just in case you don't make it.
Caching in general is probably not a bad idea.
Get off prescription meds. Any dependence on prescription drugs is a death wish in a collapse scenario.
Unfortunately some people can't.
Learn how to raise chickens, goats or other small animals.
Not unless you're going to go all in on it and have the means to do it.
We did this a little in my younger days, and it sucked. And since nobody had the time to really put into it it turned into a big waste of time and money.
Get training on how to use your firearms. When you really need them, there won't be time to practice.....
I keep trying to tell people this- that I won't have to show them how to load or clear a malfunction with their gun if it comes down to that. Some people will never understand this until shit happens....:mad:

If you own rifles, sight them all in and use threadlock on anything that might work itself loose in a firefight. You don't want your gear falling apart when you need it most.
I honestly cannot understand WHY people buy a rifle and for some reason feel they don't need to zero it. OR the sight they put on it.
Get a reliable guard dog who can help provide protection for your family and property.
Having owned multiple dogs (and other pets) at times I seriously doubt the effectiveness of this idea.

Buy extra pairs of socks. You can never have too many pairs of quality socks. And you absolutely do not want to have to make them yourself later on.
100% agree on the socks- I and them are NOT friends, and when I can actually find a type to fit my feet, I wear through them in no time at all.

Todd.K
10-17-12, 19:14
In a zombie apocalypse that might work. In a huge economic apocalypse, the banks will still try and repossess stuff from people not paying, I would guess.

Unsecured debt would not be "seizable" in general (IANAL or IANAA)

If "printing more money" is as inevitable as some make it out to be shouldn't I max out my credit cards buying gold? Inflation effectively reduces my debt and I can live good off the gold buried in my backyard.

And if it's a total collapse where my important documents are not secure in a safe deposit box I don't see the banks repossessing anything.

Suwannee Tim
10-17-12, 20:21

So to avoid dying for lack of prescription meds during a collapse you get off them and die now. I'm on several prescription meds, none of which I must have to live but my quality of life and longevity would be greatly diminished by getting off them. One of my maladies is hypertension. I recently got to see someone off to the next life as they died of renal failure, a common effect of hypertension. No thanks. This author is eat up with the dumbass.

ralph
10-17-12, 21:05
If "printing more money" is as inevitable as some make it out to be shouldn't I max out my credit cards buying gold? Inflation effectively reduces my debt and I can live good off the gold buried in my backyard.

And if it's a total collapse where my important documents are not secure in a safe deposit box I don't see the banks repossessing anything.

you might be on to something with your credit card idea...I agree I don't see the banks repossessing shit...Did'nt they try that in 1929? They (the banks) lose their(as well as their depositors) money playing the stock market...Figure they'll forclose on anyone who owes them money,(in order to raise quick cash to pay depositors,as word got out) run a bunch of people out of their houses, farms, and end up with a bunch of real estate that they could'nt give away (because everyone else was broke)and in the end went broke themselves... yeah, that worked well,I'd like to think they learned from that little lesson....

Sensei
10-17-12, 21:21

I love it. Great advice for all of the "no hopers" on the GD Forum who say that we are doomed unless their obscure candidate is elected in November.

So to avoid dying for lack of prescription meds during a collapse you get off them and die now. I'm on several prescription meds, none of which I must have to live but my quality of life and longevity would be greatly diminished by getting off them. One of my maladies is hypertension. I recently got to see someone off to the next life as they died of renal failure, a common effect of hypertension. No thanks. This author is eat up with the dumbass.

Although poorly worded, I suspect that the author was referring to the 15% of Americans who are dependent on pain medications or benzodiazepines (Valium, Klonopin, and Xanax). After all, it is hard to run from zombies while you are jonesing for some Oxy. ;)

SMETNA
10-17-12, 23:00

They could always do it without telling anyone. But that would have to be the very last thing they do before a massive economic cardiac arrest, or people would pull them out of their homes and pitchfork them to death.

In second thought, this is America we're talking about. People would just sit down and bitch about it.

iPhone/Tapatalk

Mo_Zam_Beek
10-17-12, 23:44

Wait.. What? They already did.

Depending on where you get your news Americans have lost an estimated 40% of their net worth since 2008. (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mo-economy-wealth-20120611,0,5418853.story) By continuing an expansionary monetary policy, and a ZIRP (near zero Fed funds rate) thereby punishing savers, and forcing return seekers to serve as straight men in the rigged scheme known as Wall Street - sure you may have an retirement account with a credit balance, but rest assured it is being systematically stolen every second of every day. If that doesn't work, remember how it went with MF Global - outright theft, and no one got so much as a hand slap.

Want to fear something? Fear a mechanism where Big Daddy Gov comes after your Gold, not that it's ever happened before or anything. Besides, it isn't like our Gov could be selling gold to suppress the price and bolster confidence in the dying dollar, right? (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-02/eric-sprott-do-western-central-banks-have-any-gold-left)

Honu
10-18-12, 00:16
in our recent 100 year history no melt down in the world has lasted that long where banks did not survive and come after you later as far as I know :)

unless that country collapsed but then someone comes in and fact is your land you have to hold title etc. when things get turned back on
this day and age I think being debt free is nice and having copies of what you can proving you owned it before hand may or may not come into play depending ?
but I cant see it going that far ?

then again I always say my father in Law from England in WWII most of them never saw what was coming ! but they did pull out and you still had to pay debt etc..

Suwannee Tim
10-18-12, 04:08
.....Although poorly worded, I suspect that the author was referring to the 15% of Americans who are dependent on pain medications or benzodiazepines (Valium, Klonopin, and Xanax). After all, it is hard to run from zombies while you are jonesing for some Oxy. ;)

That makes sense. I have never used pharmaceuticals for recreation so it is outside my frame of reference.

I'm worried about roaring inflation as much as a general collapse. Inflation would reduce the value of my only debt, a mortgage hurting the investors who own it, not me. I would benefit in that way.

Mo_Zam_Beek
10-18-12, 10:43
That makes sense. I have never used pharmaceuticals for recreation so it is outside my frame of reference.

I'm worried about roaring inflation as much as a general collapse. Inflation would reduce the value of my only debt, a mortgage hurting the investors who own it, not me. I would benefit in that way.

Worth the read - pay attention to the right side of the page at the bottom (Why They Want To Do This) - QE to be offset by labor deflation (wise to consider how over time tech advances play into replacing segments of the workforce and putting a downward pressure on wages as well).

http://solari.com/articles/quantitative_easing/

Good luck

Todd.K
10-18-12, 15:00
I love it. Great advice for all of the "no hopers" on the GD Forum who say that we are doomed unless their obscure candidate is elected in November.
I figure some should stop talking about it and go full in.

Littlelebowski
10-19-12, 06:57
I'm thinking there's some tin foil in this thread.

Belmont31R
10-19-12, 08:55
A small minority have already said they want to nationalize 401ks and pensions to share with those that do not have retirement plans, ie, those on welfare.

Congress has had 'experts' come testify/lecture about how to seize private investments.

Doc Safari
10-19-12, 09:33
I'm thinking there's some tin foil in this thread.

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. I used the phrase "zombie invasion" in my first post as a "hint". Personally, I'm noticing that a lot of these "world coming to an end" articles are ultimately about nothing other than selling prepper merchandise.

Even though I think the government will truly "F" things up at some point, and we may be in for a Depression, I'm not ready to start studying recipes for "Long Pig" just yet.

(If I took this stuff really seriously I would have put this in Disaster Preparation). ;)

Sensei
10-19-12, 10:53

Practicing sound financial habits is always a good idea even when we are not at risk of a financial collapse. However, I always get a kick out of people who spend all this time hoarding seeds, water, canned food, weapons, and ammo in preparation for the end of days. Meanwhile they are 20 lbs overweight, spend most of their days in a pharmacologic haze, and could not handle themselves in a fight if their life depended on it. Guys, if you can't score in the top 10% of an Army or Marine PFT, you will not fare well in your average mugging, much less an austere environment. Look at countries like A-stan, how many fatties do you see in the native population?

If you want to see if you are prepared, take a look at this basic test https://www.fbijobs.gov/11131.asp. Anything less than a score of 12 is a failure NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE (you should really be hitting close to 20 without the extra pull-up event). This is something that you can train for and track your progress without expensive gym memberships.

Also, ditch the golf and tennis for AT LEAST 4 hrs per week of realistic combatives training. By realistic I mean some mixture of BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, or Krav Maga (my current schedule is 60% BJJ and 40% MT). Karate, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, and Kung Fu are more often a waist of time with a few rare exceptions. In other words, you need to go to a real gym where you clinch and actually get hit a few times. Nothing puts things in perspective like getting KTFO for the first time in your life...

ryr8828
10-19-12, 13:59
Practicing sound financial habits is always a good idea even when we are not at risk of a financial collapse. However, I always get a kick out of people who spend all this time hoarding seeds, water, canned food, weapons, and ammo in preparation for the end of days. Meanwhile they are 20 lbs overweight, spend most of their days in a pharmacologic haze, and could not handle themselves in a fight if their life depended on it. Guys, if you can't score in the top 10% of an Army or Marine PFT, you will not fare well in your average mugging, much less an austere environment. Look at countries like A-stan, how many fatties do you see in the native population?

If you want to see if you are prepared, take a look at this basic test https://www.fbijobs.gov/11131.asp. Anything less than a score of 12 is a failure NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE (you should really be hitting close to 20 without the extra pull-up event). This is something that you can train for and track your progress without expensive gym memberships.

Also, ditch the golf and tennis for AT LEAST 4 hrs per week of realistic combatives training. By realistic I mean some mixture of BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, or Krav Maga (my current schedule is 60% BJJ and 40% MT). Karate, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, and Kung Fu are more often a waist of time with a few rare exceptions. In other words, you need to go to a real gym where you clinch and actually get hit a few times. Nothing puts things in perspective like getting KTFO for the first time in your life...
Dude, I'm over 55 years old. I'm not ditching golf to train for mma. I've been hit, I didn't like it. My response so far has been satisfactory and successful without having to go pay for getting hit in preparation to getting hit.

nineteenkilo
10-19-12, 14:07
... Nothing puts things in perspective like getting KTFO for the first time in your life...

The first time I was knocked out was of my own doing. I ran headfirst into a concrete light pole trying to catch a 'hail mary' in a sandlot game. I've never quite forgiven myself.

There have been several times since and none of them fun or worth repeating.

Sensei
10-19-12, 20:21
Dude, I'm over 55 years old. I'm not ditching golf to train for mma. I've been hit, I didn't like it. My response so far has been satisfactory and successful without having to go pay for getting hit in preparation to getting hit.

It does not appear that you are questioning my thesis that fitness and a martial skill set is important in an austere environment. Instead, you seem to indicate that you have been there / done that, and you are good to go.

So, my statements are more directed at people who go to Kim's School of Tae Kwon Do and spend hours of punching the air in horse stance, breaking boards, and practicing kata. I'm also talking to people who run a few miles per week or lift a few weights and think they are combat fit. That is analogous to punching holes in paper in front of a firing line and thinking that it will prepare you for a gunfight.

If you believe that we are headed for rough waters and you're satisfied with your current level of fitness, then more power to you. If you are satisfied in your abilities to handle yourself in an unarmed confrontation - even better. However, if that confidence comes without training your body or ever having tested you abilities - good luck.

BTW, there are plenty of guys in their 50's who put it on the line every day. Granted, they are not competing in MT or MMA events, but a few will be seen in the "executive" divisions of NAGA or IBJJF competitions. In fact Helio Gracie who founded modern BJJ was said to have been rolling and teaching up until 1 month before his death at age 95. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmz1YDVt3c