PDA

View Full Version : The problem with "panic buying"

citizensoldier16
10-17-12, 15:23
I can't remember where I found this link...it may very well have been here. With all the talk about the debate last night and how Obama said plainly that he supports a second AWB, I think this is a good read for all of us here at M4C. Pass it on to your friends who think that they should buy up 10k rounds of every caliber, 10 rifles and 20 pistols. That mindset is nonsense. Anyway, read the article. It pretty much sums up my point of view on the matter.

http://tacstrikeblog.com/the-problems-with-panic-buying/

Waylander
10-17-12, 15:53
I can't remember where I found this link...it may very well have been here. With all the talk about the debate last night and how Obama said plainly that he supports a second AWB, I think this is a good read for all of us here at M4C. Pass it on to your friends who think that they should buy up 10k rounds of every caliber, 10 rifles and 20 pistols. That mindset is nonsense. Anyway, read the article. It pretty much sums up my point of view on the matter.

http://tacstrikeblog.com/the-problems-with-panic-buying/

This is what I can't stand about people and guns. It's like before a storm people raid the gas stations so what happens? Gas prices spike because of high demand and low supply.
Then people that didn't freak out are left with an empty tank or empty bank account. A small intro to econ should be a required course of all high schools.

Denali
10-17-12, 16:01
I'm looking forward to the panic, in fact I'm banking on it....Literally!

Waylander
10-17-12, 16:05

Hence a culture of "gun nuts" or the tail wagging the dog as it were.

Goodtimes for Bushy and Delton!

ETA:
I think I'll stay away from the public range and the Joe sixpacks until Spring.

Denali
10-17-12, 16:19
Hence a culture of "gun nuts" or the tail wagging the dog as it were.

Goodtimes for Bushy and Delton!

I made such a killing in the wake of the Obamunist, its almost embarrassing. I fully intend to get two hundred bucks, or higher, per box of Ranger-T series, if Obama emerges victorious next month...I've been trying to sell a few pistols since May of this year in the exchange, with no results whatsoever, however, if Obama wins, I will be jacking the prices up way beyond what most around here ever thought possible, and I'll get it too!

chadbag
10-18-12, 01:33
A friend of mine found several A2 style and an M4 style OLY rifles down in Arizona at a gun store AFTER THE ELECTION last time (he did not even have to stock up in advance). He paid like $800 or so for each, plus or minus. He brought them back to SLC area and sold them through a local classifieds for like $1500 each.

Crazy. Last election I was able to sell a DPMS cast and an OLY cast AR15 receiver I had had since 2004 when I bought them right after the ban expired, not knowing any better and not having much money at the time and fully expecting them to pass another ban. I did not jack the price up too much on them but got my money back and covered the cost of a 3rd receiver, another OLY cast one that I still have somewhere, to build up as a plinker since I feel guilty trying to push it on someone, and I have a CAR15 style upper I've had since before the last ban that needs a lower as a plinker anyway.

Maybe I will be able to sell off my last magazines in inventory now. A few Coyote Brownells, some OD and FG M-Rev PMAGS, and some Rev 2 original Lancers... And a bunch of stainless C-Products ones I got from Magpul with L-Plates and Ranger Plates, back when Magpul was still selling some 3rd party items (probably 2006?). Right about the same time the PMAG was released.

--

--

karmapolice
10-18-12, 07:41
I made such a killing in the wake of the Obamunist, its almost embarrassing. I fully intend to get two hundred bucks, or higher, per box of Ranger-T series, if Obama emerges victorious next month...I've been trying to sell a few pistols since May of this year in the exchange, with no results whatsoever, however, if Obama wins, I will be jacking the prices up way beyond what most around here ever thought possible, and I'll get it too!

You obviously have high moral fiber, remind me to skip over anything you post in the future especially in the marketplace. You post a lot in political threads to if I recall, opportunist :rolleyes:

caelumatra
10-18-12, 09:38
You obviously have high moral fiber, remind me to skip over anything you post in the future especially in the marketplace. You post a lot in political threads to if I recall, opportunist :rolleyes:

This is pretty ironic on this board. Not your post karma, that to which you're referring. There are many companies and stores who are dragged through the ringer over price gouging and here we have members saying they [i]plan[i/] on doing the same thing

I can't speak to their entire posting history but I hope those who plan on gouging have never spoken an ill word on retailers or manufacturers who have done the same thing during the last election.

You are free to do what you choose and have your wallet the fat and happier for it and that's fine. Its just surprising to see here on this board where so many have been so vocal about disdain for price gougers.

Why don't you instead of selling some dumb ass a piece of shit for a lot of money sell it to them reasonably on the caveat that they join the local private range and go shoot with you? In this way you make a little money and the community gains another educated shooter instead of some dumb ass bubba with a "black rifle"

Waylander
10-18-12, 09:50
This is pretty ironic on this board. Not your post karma, that to which you're referring. There are many companies and stores who are dragged through the ringer over price gouging and here we have members saying they [i]plan[i/] on doing the same thing

I can't speak to their entire posting history but I hope those who plan on gouging have never spoken an ill word on retailers or manufacturers who have done the same thing during the last election.

You are free to do what you choose and have your wallet the fat and happier for it and that's fine. Its just surprising to see here on this board where so many have been so vocal about disdain for price gougers.

Why don't you instead of selling some dumb ass a piece of shit for a lot of money sell it to them reasonably on the caveat that they join the local private range and go shoot with you? In this way you make a little money and the community gains another educated shooter instead of some dumb ass bubba with a "black rifle"

That would entail a sense of morality :blink:
I'm all for the free market supply and demand but to actively boast about price gouging? Seems to be shooting himself in the foot.

Koshinn
10-18-12, 09:52

I concur.

Supply and demand is one of the basic principles of a capitalist economy. Demand rises, supply goes down, so therefore price rises.

What are y'all, communists? You want everything for free? You don't like people making money? I'm assuming everyone who speaks ill of Denali and companies like Spikes because they might or did raise prices due to demand is voting Democrat.

;)

caelumatra
10-18-12, 09:56
I concur.

Supply and demand is one of the basic principles of a capitalist economy. Demand rises, supply goes down, so therefore price rises.

What are y'all, communists? You want everything for free? You don't like people making money? I'm assuming everyone who speaks ill of Denali and companies like Spikes because they might or did raise prices due to demand is voting Democrat.

;)

Haha yeah, I hear ya :)
And again, he can do what he wants, its his shit to sell, and as I said, do so and make your wallet happier.

Kchen986
10-18-12, 13:49
Just a word of caution to those bragging about selling weapons. Depending on which Federal Circuit you reside in, you might be deemed a dealer without a license. (Unless you, in fact, have a FFL)

Denali
10-18-12, 14:02

I'm a capitalist, you? :rolleyes:

TehLlama
10-18-12, 15:33

Same here - every really good price on something I've since discovered I can live without is ideally going to be one of those happy exchanges where somebody gets something they previously viewed as impossible to find, and I'm money ahead.

Denali
10-18-12, 18:56
Same here - every really good price on something I've since discovered I can live without is ideally going to be one of those happy exchanges where somebody gets something they previously viewed as impossible to find, and I'm money ahead.

There it is....:D

MFWIC2
10-18-12, 19:28
Not from me you want you greedy bastard. LOL.
When money doesn't hold it's value guns take what you have. Remember that. And Obama isn't going to win shit but a ticket out of the WH.

Denali
10-18-12, 22:09
Not from me you want you greedy bastard. LOL.
When money doesn't hold it's value guns take what you have. Remember that. And Obama isn't going to win shit but a ticket out of the WH.

:D Of course not, few experienced shooters will be caught unawares in the event Obama wins, its the cheechakos that will come begging for it, and Ill be there, with plenty of ammo to move....

citizensoldier16
10-23-12, 01:23
Interesting posts, all....but I've gotta share something. Today I was at my local gun counter and overheard another customer buying two Hi-point pistols. He said it was "for when Obama bans guns". I just shook my head and laughed to myself, and subconsciously felt the M&P9c on my hip.

About 10 mins later a group of kids came in and started looking at the Glocks. I thought they might have it together, until I heard one of them say "It looks just like my airsoft pistol". :fie:

I wanted to say...."YOU!! OUT of the gene pool!"

SteyrAUG
10-23-12, 12:33
Panic buying does have a side effect of creating "new" gun owners and threats of a ban creates new "gun rights" advocates who may never have felt the need to own a gun previously.

So in a very real sense, all of the panic buying actually helps to prevent bans. With one piece of legislation Bill Clinton created more new AR-15 owners than anyone would have ever dreamed of.

The 10 year AW bun made everyone EXTREMELY conscious of legislation and that probably led to the push for CCW rights in most states.

You guys see the glass half empty and are seeing diminished inventory and sky high prices. I see the glass half full and realize all those guns and ammo are in the hands of private citizens.

Did it suck that we couldn't find ammo at Wal Mart for 18 months? Absolutely. But I'd rather see that than Wal Mart discontinue ammo sales because nobody is interested.

If you had your shit together you started getting squared away in September of 2004.

If you waited until 2008 to figure it out you paid "late to the game" pricing. If you learned the lesson of 2008 you got squared away in 2010 when there was a huge surplus glut and nobody was moving anything.

And if you went through all that and are just now deciding to get your ass in gear...well you are going to pay "really, really, really late to the game" pricing.

I learned my lesson. As soon as the door opened in 2004 I started buying everything I could. I bought so much that I actually had multiples of the same weapons with only minor differences. So when prices began to ramp up in 2008 I took all the superfluous guns and those I decided I no longer wanted because I owned better examples and I flipped them for prices that truly amazed me.

I then took all that windfall cash and turned right around and put it into NFA weapons and rare imports which ironically had slightly depressed prices. And I've been steady buying ever since whenever something pops up on the radar that is too good to pass.

And if the 2008 stupidity repeats itself, I have a few I will let get that have been replaced by better examples.

The only part that is actually going to inconvenience me is the possibility of Wal Mart getting drained regularly. I have my ammo reserves which I try not to shoot at all and I like the convenience of grabbing 1000 rounds as needed.

Moose-Knuckle
10-23-12, 16:48
I don't attend the gun shows in my area any more the obvious reasons, but there are mutiple gun stores around me with Colt 6920's in stock and priced right. I never thought I would see the day that my local Wal-Mart Super Center would be selling Colt 6920's and cans of M193. I was at one of the CTD stores last week, one of their floor staff saw me spying their Noveske's and started up a conversation. I asked him if they have seen a run on guns and ammo yet and he told me that they have seen a spike in 5.56/.223 sales and thats about it. For what it's worth, he added that the .gov has been buying up a lot of 5.56/.223 and ALL the FN 5.7mm.

Waylander
10-23-12, 17:12
I don't attend the gun shows in my area any more the obvious reasons, but there are mutiple gun stores around me with Colt 6920's in stock and priced right. I never thought I would see the day that my local Wal-Mart Super Center would be selling Colt 6920's and cans of M193. I was at one of the CTD stores last week, one of their floor staff saw me spying their Noveske's and started up a conversation. I asked him if they have seen a run on guns and ammo yet and he told me that they have seen a spike in 5.56/.223 sales and thats about it. For what it's worth, he added that the .gov has been buying up a lot of 5.56/.223 and ALL the FN 5.7mm.

What is CTD?

Colt at Walmart? Shutyomouf!

Funny you say that.
I usually glance over to the gun counter when I happen to be in my local Walmart but hadn't been in a while. I figured ARs would never make it there until one of the shitier companies decided they needed to lower their prices and actually sell some volume or the new Mossberg came to town. I was shocked to see this Sig and maybe another .223 auto IIRC.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m400-hunter-black.aspx

It may not be the best Sig or AR for that matter but I was a little glad and a little sad at the same time. Glad that more people will be getting into ARs but a little apprehensive that the Joe six packs will buy them because the AR is 'mainstream' now. Hopefully the former will outweigh the latter.

Moose-Knuckle
10-23-12, 17:18
What is CTD?

Cheaper Than Dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/default.aspx)

Waylander
10-23-12, 17:26
Cheaper Than Dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/default.aspx)

Hmm...I had no idea they had walk in shops and selling Noveske of all things.

scottryan
10-23-12, 19:16
Panic buying does have a side effect of creating "new" gun owners and threats of a ban creates new "gun rights" advocates who may never have felt the need to own a gun previously.

So in a very real sense, all of the panic buying actually helps to prevent bans. With one piece of legislation Bill Clinton created more new AR-15 owners than anyone would have ever dreamed of.

The 10 year AW bun made everyone EXTREMELY conscious of legislation and that probably led to the push for CCW rights in most states.

You guys see the glass half empty and are seeing diminished inventory and sky high prices. I see the glass half full and realize all those guns and ammo are in the hands of private citizens.

Did it suck that we couldn't find ammo at Wal Mart for 18 months? Absolutely. But I'd rather see that than Wal Mart discontinue ammo sales because nobody is interested.

If you had your shit together you started getting squared away in September of 2004.

If you waited until 2008 to figure it out you paid "late to the game" pricing. If you learned the lesson of 2008 you got squared away in 2010 when there was a huge surplus glut and nobody was moving anything.

And if you went through all that and are just now deciding to get your ass in gear...well you are going to pay "really, really, really late to the game" pricing.

I learned my lesson. As soon as the door opened in 2004 I started buying everything I could. I bought so much that I actually had multiples of the same weapons with only minor differences. So when prices began to ramp up in 2008 I took all the superfluous guns and those I decided I no longer wanted because I owned better examples and I flipped them for prices that truly amazed me.

I then took all that windfall cash and turned right around and put it into NFA weapons and rare imports which ironically had slightly depressed prices. And I've been steady buying ever since whenever something pops up on the radar that is too good to pass.

And if the 2008 stupidity repeats itself, I have a few I will let get that have been replaced by better examples.

The only part that is actually going to inconvenience me is the possibility of Wal Mart getting drained regularly. I have my ammo reserves which I try not to shoot at all and I like the convenience of grabbing 1000 rounds as needed.

Thank you for posting this. It is people that grew up in the 1970 through early 1990s that get it.

The more guns in the hands of people, the better our chances at fighting the left over gun control.

I am also tired of people ranting and blogging about how you don't need go out and buy all this stuff. People that own six, seven, or more figures worth of NFA and preban assault rifles aren't going to be told how shit is going to roll. They lived through all the gun bans of the 1980s and 1990s and aren't going to be on the losing side of the next one.

These people bitching and blogging also don't know who is buying what. How do they know the guy that just bought four AR-15 isn't buying one for himself and his 3 sons? You can't tell that. All you see is a guy buying 4 rifles and they think he is in "panic mode."

Someone that truly has their shit together has atleast a C&R license and can get stuff for dealer cost. If no ban happens and they need money, they can get all their money back. There is no down side to buying all this stuff.

There are two things that never go down in value: land and firearms.

Waylander
10-23-12, 19:46
Do you think it causes too many people to throw caution to the wind, not get any sort of training, and give legit gun owners a bad reputation?
I know this can and will happen at any time but just the volume of people making brash decisions to buy guns during a scare...the probability of idiocy grows considerably. We survived 2008 pretty much unscathed but 2012 could be a game changer.

Denali
10-23-12, 19:56
I am also tired of people ranting and blogging about how you don't need go out and buy all this stuff. People than own six, seven, or more figures worth of NFA and preban assault rifles aren't going to be told how shit is going to roll. They lived through all the gun bans of the 1980 and 1990s and aren't going to be on the losing side of the next one.

Amen brother! It's always the same, I hear from some whining youngster, accusing me of hoarding, or gouging, and I just marvel at their naivete.

I was living in Fairbanks when the AWB was enacted, I had been entertaining the purchase of a Franchi LAW-12 self-loading shotgun, it was stickered at under four hundred bucks, the next day(following the signing into law of the bill)it was priced at over $1200.00! The next week they were gone altogether, and they never came back, and they never will!

I recall very well the lunacy associated with magazines, Glock mags went from $19.99 to $150.00 per, and they got it! They sold tens of thousands of such magazines at those prices, post ban!

I have little doubt that in the wake of an Obama re-election, I'll get $200.00 plus per box of Winchester Ranger-T series, little doubt!

Kokopelli
10-23-12, 20:19
WOW.. I've enjoyed this thread immensely. It really brings out the character of the forum (or of some here). One thing we have no shortage of here is elitism. Joe six-pack is not worthy of owning a AR because Joe seven-pack and cadre are the bomb.. LOL.. I love it.. Everybody is somebody's yankee people.. Anybody that is actually too "slick" to live the life, ain't here.. He's manipulating your (our) life just like you plot to manipulate Joe six-pack's life.. I'm happy to see all those Colts out in the market and the ammo.. Let them buy millions of rounds and then dump it on the market.. Think it'll happen.. hahahahaha.. Think again, the big shots won't allow it. And tell me please why the government would buy billions of rounds. Can't they just take (or negotiate for) what they want/need.. Anything that keeps AR's, pistols and ammo being made is probably good for the cause.. and the system. No controversy, no problems and no reason to go out and spend money out of fear. Those that have the real power don't like that and won't let it happen. We are able to buy AR's and ammo today not because of high-morals, thoughts of freedom, etc.. but because people get rich off of it.. It's a dirty business, but somebody's got to do it.. and they do.. some here as well.. but it is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.. eh? Now go out and buy another 6920 and some 193.. Just in case.. Cheers.. Ron

Waylander
10-23-12, 22:18
WOW.. I've enjoyed this thread immensely. It really brings out the character of the forum (or of some here). One thing we have no shortage of here is elitism. Joe six-pack is not worthy of owning a AR because Joe seven-pack and cadre are the bomb.. LOL.. I love it.. Everybody is somebody's yankee people.. Anybody that is actually too "slick" to live the life, ain't here.. He's manipulating your (our) life just like you plot to manipulate Joe six-pack's life..

You may want to rethink some things before you blow my remarks totally out of context. I'm all for the poorest guy on the planet owning an AR...in fact I help guys that can't afford top notch parts build with what they have and chip in what I can. It ain't an elitism thing...if you think that you assume a lot.

The difference between rednecks that buy guns and don't know shit about them other than they go boom and don't know shit about safety versus for the most part people on this forum is they come here to learn and not spout off second hand bubba fudd knowledge.

I go to a certain public range that's free to everyone. No control whatsoever so anybody can do whatever the hell they want. People come and go as they please and it was good for a long time until certain riff-raff start showing up pointing possibly loaded guns willy nilly and guess what amigo? Nine times out of ten, regardless of what brand rifles the dudes have, they come to the range either drunk, half way there, or a six pack in the cooler. Sorry if you fit that description or take offense.
Get used to it since ARs have hit Chinamart people are gonna have to deal with hipster wannabe mall ninjas now that them fancy machine guns are kewl.
Did I say everybody looking for an affordable AR are these type of people? In my high brow elitism I must have forgotten to qualify all my statements.

So a guy thinks he wants a gun to go blow some shit up and that's cool. I just don't like (un)loaded guns being pointed at me and people not abiding by simple range etiquette, capiche?

The_War_Wagon
10-23-12, 22:35

Yeahhhhhh... I might post a few "for sale" items on OTHER boards... just to see if I can make a buck or twelve along the way... ;)

ryr8828
10-24-12, 06:17
Yeahhhhhh... I might post a few "for sale" items on OTHER boards... just to see if I can make a buck or twelve along the way... ;)
I've done pretty well over the last month.
Things I don't have any more:
fs2000
ps90
5.7 pistol
2541 rounds of 5.7 ammunition
Keltec rfb
keltec plr16

None of them were for sale long.

Doc Safari
10-24-12, 10:51

Guilty as charged. I never wanted an assault rifle until I found out George Herbert Walker Bush had stopped the importation of same.

I learned my lesson. As soon as the door opened in 2004 I started buying everything I could. I bought so much that I actually had multiples of the same weapons with only minor differences.

I did this too, but in 2010 and 2011 I got rid of everything but the AR platform due to its versatility, lightweight, and ease of customizing.

Right now I am watching people panic and I'm reminiscing about how that was me 1992-1994.

SteyrAUG
10-24-12, 12:59
Do you think it causes too many people to throw caution to the wind, not get any sort of training, and give legit gun owners a bad reputation?
I know this can and will happen at any time but just the volume of people making brash decisions to buy guns during a scare...the probability of idiocy grows considerably. We survived 2008 pretty much unscathed but 2012 could be a game changer.

I think people who make "bad decisions" in the voting booth do far more damage than people who make "bad decisions" with a gun. So if we are going to let them vote, might as well let them have a gun too.

caelumatra
10-24-12, 13:44
I think people who make "bad decisions" in the voting booth do far more damage than people who make "bad decisions" with a gun.

Ain't that the ****ing truth!