PDA

View Full Version : My Costa Catalyst Extended Mag Release Arrived...

Tungsten
10-17-12, 20:48
Received my Costa Ludus / 21st Century Gunfighter "Catalyst" extended mag release for the Smith and Wesson M&P handguns today...

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sKs5jN7/0/XL/i-sKs5jN7-XL.jpg

Promptly installed it in my M&P 9mm and can say that despite being a just small light piece of plastic, it's almost worth the $30 it cost shipped to my door. The price is indeed a damn bit absurd but it's also the only extended mag release for the M&P and there are also only two vendors selling it on the Internet right now from what I've seen, so they can pretty much charge whatever they want for it and if you want one, you'll pay it.

So what's it look like installed?

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-WtNfz73/0/L/i-WtNfz73-L.jpg

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fhBxbjR/0/L/i-fhBxbjR-L.jpg

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5HVbPhB/0/L/i-5HVbPhB-L.jpg

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-b7ZDWCb/0/L/i-b7ZDWCb-L.jpg

I have read questions from others here asking if it interferes with the use of Raven Concealment Phantom holsters or Comp-Tac MTAC holsters. I carry with both and the holster's trigger guard stops short of the mag release area so, no - it does not interfere and use of those holsters does not cause the mag to eject by accident.

I also tried it with my TT Gunleather and my Occidental Leather Company IWB holsters and it worked just fine with them for the same reason.

Overall I am very pleased. The extended release allows me to drop the mag without breaking my primary hold on the firearm. I have short little Shrek fingers anyway, so this is a huge improvement for me. It's very similar to the Vickers Tactical extended release for the Glock series and I love that on my Glock 19, so... this is a winner.

I'd like to buy about three more of these for our other M&Ps but that'd be nearly $100 in plastic and I'm not about to do it. I may pick up one a month for the next few months, but the price seriously is out of line and out of reach of most people I'm afraid. Which is a shame because it is truly a damn good upgrade.

dougwg
10-17-12, 21:02
And if it's "too" big people can always file it down to suit their needs.

About the price....I just blew through $150 worth of ammo on Monday...$30 meh.

Tungsten
10-17-12, 21:07
Agreed on all points. I see this as an investment in making my daily carry a better weapon, more suited to my baby-carrot fingers. It also works perfectly as a means of ejecting the magazine by placing the firearm mag-release-side down on a hard surface and pressing on the firearm.

A technique taught for one-handed "wounded" drills where you must learn to manipulate the firearm's various controls one-handed as though you were impaired from an injury, etc.

Again, the Vickers release on the Glocks do this quite well. This release does it just as well on the M&P.

Expensive for what it is, yes. A worthwhile investment, yes.

ST911
10-17-12, 21:48
Anyone have compatibility information on this for Safariland duty holsters?

10-18-12, 07:14

I don't know what holster you're using but I'm using the 6360 (weapons light version) for my M&P 40. There's roughly 3/8" of clearance between the holster and stock mag release.
My holster model number is 6360-2192

Vic303
10-18-12, 08:49
I have read questions from others here asking if it interferes with the use of Raven Concealment Phantom holsters or Comp-Tac MTAC holsters. I carry with both and the holster's trigger guard stops short of the mag release area so, no - it does not interfere and use of those holsters does not cause the mag to eject by accident.

Thank you Tungsten! I appreciate your pics, and for testing it in an MTAC. I agree $30 is steep, it certainly is for my personal budget, but maybe in a few months or a year it will either be cheaper, available used, or cloned...I can hope so anyway!

AO520
11-18-12, 00:20
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your post Tungsten. I have a Costa Catalyst on loan from a friend so I figured I'd snap some quick photos.

I have large hands so I didn't think I would need it, and after installing it my first impression was it extended too far out... but the more I use it the more I LIKE IT! I don't have to change my grip at all when doing magazine changes.

Works fine in my Safariland holster and White Hat holster with "combat" cut. It does poke out a bit on my CC rig. I'll have to carry it for awhile to see if that is an issue for me.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0818.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0823.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0813.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0815.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0831.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0824.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/Adam_Oseran/Guns%20and%20Gear/IMG_0828.jpg

graffex
11-18-12, 22:28
Good lord that thing looks like it sticks out a mile.

topslop1
11-19-12, 16:07
How does it work for carry? Looks like it might actuate, but I have never been a real fan of the larger releases.

SkyLine1
11-19-12, 16:37
I have been running one since they came out in several AIWB rigs with no accidental mag release. Compact and fullsize 9mm.

JRC-AIWB
Predators Keeper
JM Kydex

Ballistic Agency
11-22-12, 18:10
When you lay the gun on its mag release side on a flat surface and push it down, does it eject the mag?

snakedoctor
11-22-12, 18:37
When you lay the gun on its mag release side on a flat surface and push it down, does it eject the mag?

Yes, it will eject.

Ballistic Agency
11-22-12, 19:02
Yes, it will eject.

Thanks for checking that as it's a deal killer for me.

ST911
11-22-12, 20:27

Thanks for checking that as it's a deal killer for me.

What are your concerns as you apply that test?

Ballistic Agency
11-22-12, 20:35
What are your concerns as you apply that test?

It's a rough test to see if it's too long. Nothing scientific.

If you drop the gun, bump it on something, have larger hands, etc. the mag could easily come out.

ST911
11-22-12, 20:54
It's a rough test to see if it's too long. Nothing scientific.

If you drop the gun, bump it on something, have larger hands, etc. the mag could easily come out.

Roger that. I look at the extended levers against hand size, and whether or not they're of any real utility. Also holster fit. Thanks.

brushy bill
11-22-12, 22:10
Also, if you are right handed and leave the pistol on the side of the magazine release (so you can grab it when needed) in a drawer or other surface for home defense use and reach for it in an emergency, you can inadvertently activate the mag release at a very inopportune time. That is why this and the G34 mag release are a non-starter for me as well. YMMV.

RagweedZulu
11-22-12, 23:34
Also, if you are right handed and leave the pistol on the side of the magazine release (so you can grab it when needed) in a drawer or other surface for home defense use and reach for it in an emergency, you can inadvertently activate the mag release at a very inopportune time. That is why this and the G34 mag release are a non-starter for me as well. YMMV.

Seems like dropping it on a hard surface might be bad news. When that mag pops out and skitters across the floor. Are people really having that hard of a time operating the OEM parts n these guns that they need gimmicks? I don't get it. I've never found the standard buttons, pulleys and levers to be deficient.

AO520
11-23-12, 01:35
How does it work for carry? Looks like it might actuate, but I have never been a real fan of the larger releases.

I've only used it for five days but so far no accidental magazine releases with my full size in a IWB holster. Also no issues poking me in the back when sitting.

I run a TLR light on my M&P and couldnt get it to eject the mag.

Once I took the light off it did release the mag when purposly pushed down mag release side down on a flat hard surface.

When just picking up the gun it has never happened, but I definetly see your and brushy bill's point. You never know what may occur in a pressure situation and if that accidentaly happened in certain situations it could be your life. Not such a big issue if your using your M&P as a competion gun I think.

I've never found the standard buttons, pulleys and levers to be deficient.

I also have no issues with the stock M&P controls, but then again I'd consider my hands larger then average. For men and women with smaller hands it can be very useful to have aftermarket extended controls. I love the Vickers extended mag release, and Tango down slide release that I have on my Glock 19.

wilson1911
02-25-13, 12:18
does anyone know if these are still being made ?

brushy bill
02-25-13, 16:26
On another thread, they are reported as not showing on Costa Ludus Gear site. Not in the market, so just relaying what others have posted. Appears to be so, if in fact they were formerly listed there. Link below.

http://www.costaludusgear.com/

M_Rapp
03-27-13, 10:18
Any other options for an extended Mag release for the M&P line? Be curious to see a few...

jaxman7
03-27-13, 12:02
......and 21st Century GF's site is down so can't get one there either. Checked Brownells and nothing. Really want to try one of these.

As far as another manufacturer of an extended release I don't know of anyone.

-Jax

jbasas13
03-28-13, 00:52
ive been wanting one of these! but not in stock still :(

dougwg
03-28-13, 09:45
very soon guy...they'll be done

Alex V
04-01-13, 14:14
been looking to get one as well.

an extended release on my G19 made it so much more user friendly, I hope it does the same on this guy.

streakpi
05-03-13, 19:53
So do these things still exist? I've read a lot about them being discontinued. Would like one to mess with - any news????

Thanks! :help:

spleify
06-05-13, 02:28
Yeah I would like to pick one of these up also

streakpi
01-10-14, 14:41
I purchased the new MOD1 from 21st Century Gunfighter. Purchased it on 02JAN14 and received it 10JAN14. It is different than the original version - which is no longer sold. I will keep my comments limited and professional, but I received one today and will not keep/use it. The new one is stippled (just an FYI)…stippling feels really good.

I installed it in a M&Pc 9mm and my full-sized M&P 9mm --- I am a southpaw so I installed it on the "off-side". Worked in the full-sized gun - did not work in the compact gun. It would not completely seat the magazine, this caused many malfunctions in loading a magazine - they simply fell out. I've asked to return it - it cost $34.95 delivered.

The top portion (the part you push) looks more narrow than an OEM mag release, it is longer (of course), and the area where the magazine well spring rests is a different shape…slightly. I think that is the issue, just doesn't hold the wire correctly. This may be an issue with the one I received…so please do not take this as a jab to an awesome company. [Only with the compact M&P].

***When installed for right-handed shooters in the "normal" configuration, this device worked for both guns.

bookin
01-20-14, 16:10
I purchased the new MOD1 from 21st Century Gunfighter. Purchased it on 02JAN14 and received it 10JAN14. It is different than the original version - which is no longer sold. I will keep my comments limited and professional, but I received one today and will not keep/use it. The new one is stippled (just an FYI)…stippling feels really good.

I installed it in a M&Pc 9mm and a fullsized M&P 9mm. It did not work in my guns. It would not completely seat in the magazine well, this caused 8/10 malfunctions in loading a magazine - they simply fell out. I've asked to return it - it cost $34.95 delivered.

The top portion (the part you push) looks more narrow than an OEM mag release, it is longer (of course), and the area where the magazine well spring rests is a different shape…slightly. I think that is the issue, just doesn't hold the wire correctly. This may be an issue with the one I received…so please do not take this as a jab to an awesome company.

I did not try to modify it, didn't sand it, did not go to a range and work with it. I was sufficiently turned off when it would not stick right in the magazine well. I will stick with the $2.36 magazine release from S&W.

That's not good to here. I ordered a new one on Thursday and it's set to arrive tomorrow. I'll report back with my experience after I get mine installed. Hopefully yours is an isolated incident.

streakpi
01-20-14, 16:24
IMHO, it is made to be installed for RIGHT HAND shooters. After installing it that way, the device worked…100% of the time. I don't think it was made for left-handed installation.

I've tried to return it…sent emails so far last week. I think they are a one-person sales business --- and were probably at SHOT all week.

Oh well, good luck - bet it works for you…as long as you shoot right-handed.

bookin
01-21-14, 01:41
I'm right handed, so that's good to hear.

SoTex1
01-23-14, 15:34

I run a 6365 w/TLR1 and my mag release is obstructed by the holster i.e. can't drop a mag while leaving weapon holstered. I don't run this mag release, but have guys that do and all thats needed is just a touch with a dremel to clear it up.

bookin
01-24-14, 13:36
Installed my Mod 1. No issues on mine with it set up for a right hander.

mattexass
01-24-14, 13:52
Installed my Mod 1. No issues on mine with it set up for a right hander.

Does release hit the table when the gun is laid on its side on a table? If you had to do it over again would you still purchase it ( I know it may be to soon to tell but from initial impression)?

bookin
01-24-14, 18:16
Does release hit the table when the gun is laid on its side on a table? If you had to do it over again would you still purchase it ( I know it may be to soon to tell but from initial impression)?

It BARELY contacts the table when laid on its side. The slide stop and grip both prevent the mag release from being depressed. No matter what I do I can't get the mag to eject while it's lying on its side. I tried to get a decent photo.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/25/7uqarusu.jpg

My first impression is that it's quality piece that allows easier manipulation of the mag release. I would buy it again.

mattexass
01-24-14, 19:46
It BARELY contacts the table when laid on its side. The slide stop and grip both prevent the mag release from being depressed. No matter what I do I can't get the mag to eject while it's lying on its side. I tried to get a decent photo.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/25/7uqarusu.jpg

My first impression is that it's quality piece that allows easier manipulation of the mag release. I would buy it again.

Well hot damn. Thanks for the review.

bookin
01-24-14, 21:46
No problem. If you need any pics or additional info, let me know.