PDA

View Full Version : Let's give our Army Chief a birthday/Xmas present from M4C

militarymoron
10-17-12, 21:53
As most of you know from this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=114003

Our moderator and good friend Chuck, Army Chief (AC) is in a battle for his life. Since his tenure as a moderator, his patience, fairness and wisdom has touched many on this board. We're now witnessing his courage and grace as he keeps us updated on his condition.

As Chuck has said in his updates, he and his family have been overwhelmed by the moral support from this community. Some members have contacted the staff and mods here to ask whether there was anything else they could do, and offered up some ideas. All the thoughtfulness put into those suggestions are much appreciated (you know who you are - thank you).

Knowing that Chuck would never suggest any ideas himself, as he's the sort of person who gets more joy out of giving than receiving, I contacted Matt, Chuck's son, and asked him if there was any help or assistance that we could give their family. He replied that they were fine financially, as the Army has been wonderful and is taking good care of them. He did know that there were people who wanted to do something though, and thought hard for a couple of days to come up with something.

He spoke to his mother (Terri) and this is what they came up with:

In this thread and post, Chuck mentions his AC PDW Project:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=114003&page=9#166

Matt said that Chuck had been very excited about this project, ordering parts, getting all the paperwork together. Matt said that if there was something that the M4C community wanted to do, maybe members could chip in whatever they wanted to, and it would go towards the taxes and fees on the NFA stuff (SBR and can), trust paperwork, receiver engraving, or costs already incurred etc. Matt and his mother felt that the love of shooting and firearms is what brought Chuck to M4C, as well as all of us, and that it would be appropriate that if we wanted to offer some help, it should be with Chuck's (possibly) last AR build. We hope there'll be many more to come, of course.

Any gift, no matter how small or large, or even a simple card or note, would be considered an M4C birthday wish for Chuck - a gesture to show how much his contribution to this board has meant to you. Surviving until his birthday on Nov 7 and Christmas are two of the near-term goals that Chuck had set for himself. (Update: Chuck made it to his 47th birthday - let's get him to Christmas now. He and his family have been touched and overwhelmed at the support and generosity from the members here at M4C)

Chuck doesn't know about this (he'll read it this eventually) and would never suggest anything like this, which is why we're sneakily going behind his back doing it.

Due to past issues with PP and contributions, I'm putting the information on a separate page. If you'd like to send something his way, please copy and paste this link in your browser - it has all the info on it (not made 'live' on purpose)
www.militarymorons.com/ac.html

You don't have to post an amount here, but do post if you've sent something. I just sent something to kick it off. Thank you all.

DeltaSierra
10-17-12, 21:59
Sending some money right now....

vereceleritas
10-17-12, 22:05
Gift sent. Best wishes to AC and his family.

sinlessorrow
10-17-12, 22:37
I don't have much, but I am going to send a few bucks to help. I pray for AC and his family and hope he can get this finished.

xjustintimex
10-17-12, 22:39
gift sent :D wish I had more to give

a0cake
10-17-12, 23:02
Good idea. Gift sent.

pilotguyo540
10-17-12, 23:33
Great ideas. Happy birthday Chuck.

C45P312
10-18-12, 00:06
Money sent down range.

Good luck with everything again and Happy Birthday!

mildot
10-18-12, 00:13
Gift sent, Get well Buds and stay in the fight!!
Cheers

Zhurdan
10-18-12, 08:25
Great idea. Gift sent.

tailrotor
10-18-12, 08:56
Done.

Zach
10-18-12, 09:23
Great idea. Gift sent.

Get well and Happy Birthday!

SteveL
10-18-12, 09:24
Thanks MM for bringing this to our attention. Gift sent.

TomBowie
10-18-12, 09:29
Gift sent. Thanks for making this available. Happy birthday in advance, AC.

Tom L

Littlelebowski
10-18-12, 10:00
Gift sent.

C4IGrant
10-18-12, 10:22
Gift sent!

C4

sammage
10-18-12, 10:33
Gift sent.

horseman234
10-18-12, 10:35
I can't think of a better time for my first post. Gift sent, and get well!!

UDT
10-18-12, 11:49
Gift sent.

dog guy
10-18-12, 13:14
Great idea. Thanks for making it happen. Gift sent.

Sam
10-18-12, 15:34
Gift sent.

Happy early birthday Chuck.

Army Chief
10-18-12, 15:35
Was really at a loss for words when I saw what this was all about. Surely no man is deserving of this much kindness, support and outright generosity.

I feel completely inadequate to even respond, but am also deeply grateful, as you're inspired me to turn some thoughts toward the future with this effort -- something I haven't done too much of lately for obvious reasons.

Thank you so much for what you have done, and are doing here.

AC

jaxman7
10-18-12, 15:56
as you're inspired me to turn some thoughts toward the future with this effort.

AC

....and those words make it all worthwhile brother.

-Jax

sinlessorrow
10-18-12, 16:48
You deserve it AC.

Sam
10-18-12, 16:56
Was really at a loss for words when I saw what this was all about. Surely no man is deserving of this much kindness, support and outright generosity.

I feel completely inadequate to even respond, but am also deeply grateful, as you're inspired me to turn some thoughts toward the future with this effort -- something I haven't done too much of lately for obvious reasons.

Thank you so much for what you have done, and are doing here.

AC

It is you that inspired us.

PRGGodfather
10-18-12, 17:50
Happy Birthday, brother. On its way. Get better soon, and best to you and yours. God Bless.

DrMark
10-18-12, 18:09
Happy Birthday!

A little something sent.

militarymoron
10-18-12, 18:38
Surely no man is deserving of this much kindness, support and outright generosity.
AC

huh. finally found something we disagree on, brother :)

SeriousStudent
10-18-12, 20:16
I'm in. Happy Birthday!

Battle*Hound
10-18-12, 22:07
Gift Sent. Happy Early Birthday AC :)

VLODPG
10-19-12, 00:17
A Gift & Prayers inbound!

Watrdawg
10-19-12, 07:39
Gift sent.

Duffy
10-19-12, 08:08
A package is on its way via USPS, get well soon AC! :)

Dsully
10-19-12, 10:33
Gift sent!

chadbag
10-19-12, 12:28
Done! In my own small way.

Happy Birthday AC!

--

PieceKeeper
10-19-12, 12:49
Sent. Happy Birthday!

SHIVAN
10-19-12, 13:08
Gift sent!

McNulty
10-19-12, 13:29
Gift sent

mdoan300
10-19-12, 14:04
AC,

Gift sent. Thank you for the many wonderful contributions on m3forum.net and here.

God bless,

Michael.

1_click_off
10-19-12, 17:30
Gift sent.

jesuvuah
10-19-12, 17:52
happy birthday

3 AE
10-19-12, 19:10
On its way. Just wish I had the brass and the money to parachute out of a chopper somewhere around Fayetteville and hand it to him personally. So I can shake his hand and say "Thank You". :)

Littlelebowski
10-19-12, 19:41
On its way. Just wish I had the brass and the money to parachute out of a chopper somewhere around Fayetteville and hand it to him personally. So I can shake his hand and say "Thank You". :)

I'd love to drop by and just BS with AC.

SeriousStudent
10-19-12, 19:50
I'd love to drop by and just BS with AC.

I'll bring beer AND ribs.

sadmin
10-19-12, 20:02
Happy Birthday Brother - sent

R0CKETMAN
10-20-12, 04:53
Yo AC...how about one of the new CASS selectors from Roger? Short throw maybe?

Keep ur chin up...

Duffy
10-20-12, 08:35
I'm not sure if AC already has one for the new project, so I sent a BAD-CASS 45 degree. Then I realized AC may not like the short throw, so I threw in a BAD-CASS 90 degree too, just in case.

All bases covered now :p

Jake'sDad
10-20-12, 10:00
Thanks for the opportunity to do something for a hero, gift sent.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-20-12, 10:33
sent....

firepolock
10-20-12, 19:25
Sent

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

mike_f
10-20-12, 20:50
gift sent

Army Chief
10-20-12, 22:14
I have no words.

AC

Ouroborous
10-20-12, 22:52
From one fellow scorpio to another-happy almost birthday AC!

Present sent!

Heavy Metal
10-21-12, 19:43
Happy Birthday AC, hope that helps with the project a little bit!

Heavy Metal
10-21-12, 20:11
AAARGH!!Database Error!!

RudyN
10-21-12, 22:40
I gave a small amount and Happy Birthday!

Ironman8
10-27-12, 09:38
Gift Sent!

Wish we could get his forms pushed through ATF faster.

militarymoron
11-07-12, 08:11
Happy Birthday AC! Next step - Christmas.

Army Chief
05-02-13, 20:29
Kind of lost track of this thread, but I wanted to come back and close it out properly. As most of you will recall, I was in pretty rough shape when this campaign was launched. I went through the most aggressive radiation protocol that was medically permissible for seven weeks in October and November, was effectively in bed and rarely awake in December, and suffered a small stroke in January that kept me largely out of the loop until late February.

In the meantime, my brothers here saw fit to launch a campaign to help fund my SBR project, offset some expenses, and just generally give me something to look forward to. You know all of that. What you cannot know, of course, is just how successful you were in coming together to make it a memorable birthday -- and Christmas. I was talking to MilitaryMoron about this the other night, and felt it important to close the loop, because I want you to know what a difference you made.

MilitaryMoron set all of this up with Mrs. AC and my son Matt, so I wasn't initially aware of just how much money had come in. I received thoughtfully-inscribed books, some nice AR components and a small stash of schwag, but the cash count proved to be absolutely staggering: by the time all of this was finished, you had raised more than $1,600!!

I was floored, and rightly so. I've probably spent at least twice that amount since under the auspices of "just take this out of my birthday fund," but in all seriouslness, let me tell you why your gifts made such a difference ...

It's the middle of December, and I'm confined to bed, not particularly far from death. I know that the end may be near, and I can't even get out of the house to buy Mrs. AC a proper present. It is in all probability my last chance, and I am well and truly out of Schlitz. Then, my daughter and I formed a little conspiracy of our own. We decided upon an appropriate gift, and she went off into town to buy it on my behalf. How? By using birthday fund moneis that Mrs. AC wasn't tracking, of course. You see, Mrs. AC loves surprises, but since she manages the finances, I can never pull anything over on her. Not this time. This time I had an Ace in reserve. ;)

Christmas rolled around and I forced myself to stay awake for a few hours to spend the time with family. When it seemed that the gift giving was about over, I was able to present Mrs. AC with a proper diamond necklace that, quite honestly, you made possible. It wasn't exactly an Aimpoint or an ACOG, but it meant immeasurably more to me, as this was such a bittersweet holiday for us. She wears it constantly, and every time I see it, I think of all of you who made it possible.

Of course, there was a bit of money left over, and once I was feeling well-enough, I put that toward those NFA transfer taxes, a BCM upper for Matt's rifle, a new Kydex carry rig and a few parts needed to complete the PDW project. So, although you did meet many of those mundane needs that you sought to cover, the real story here is that you gave me a chance to honor my wife at Christmastime. One that was supposed to be my last.

We've come a long way since, of course. I ended up responding to the radiation far better than any of the doctors had dared hope, have obviously survived well past my predicted expiration date, and I continue to improve every day. I'm not out of the woods by any means, but the tumor has shrunk to the point where it is no longer impacting my life, and for the most part, I'm back. I'm weak and still a bit too slender, but I'm back.

It is time to close this thread, now that it has served its purpose, but I felt it was important that you realize just what a difference you made; not only to me, but to my entire family. I'd like nothing more than to conjure up just the right way to express an appropriate measure of gratitude, but for once, even I am at a loss for words.

You saw a comrade in distress, and at a time of the year when you could least afford to do it, you gave. Together, you gave a great deal, and it made a world of difference to me. It seems odd that an internet community could band together to pull something like this off, but you did it, and you pulled it off in a completely over-the-top fashion.

Guys, I won't be able to capture the right sentiment here no matter how much time I devote to the effort, so let me say only this: I was -- and am -- greatly moved. Thank you so much.

AC