PDA

View Full Version : HK416A5

montrala
10-18-12, 06:31
Last week I had opportunity to check out new version of HK416, called HK416A5. I have more detailed write on this on my blog, but wanted to share some pictures and info here as well.

HK claims that A5 is attempt to put some changes made for different projects (M27, Norway carbine, IC) and requirements form 416 users. Most prominent change is new, adjustable gas block. There is also new stock, pistol grip, safety (with ability to put on safe with dropped hammer), triggerguard, handguard cross bolt, castle nut, front sight base and well as new color scheme (for now pink version is not planned :jester: - I asked about it!). I was told that A5 is not last word and more upgrades are in work but due to ongoing patent process they did not want to show it prematurely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image005_zpsa6554f7f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image006_zps4b04a6d4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image007_zpse10f786c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image017_zpsb7a83406.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image016_zpse051bb05.jpg

And family picture with my HK MR223 :big_boss:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image011_zps40588856.jpg

MountainRaven
10-18-12, 09:35
Neat!

Too bad we'll never see them, over here. (Unless H&K wins the IC competition and beats out the improved M4. And possibly somebody other than H&K gets part of the contract.)

montrala
10-18-12, 09:59
Neat!

Too bad we'll never see them, over here. (Unless H&K wins the IC competition and beats out the improved M4. And possibly somebody other than H&K gets part of the contract.)

Why? Those will be avaliable for LE or military purchase in USA, same as current HK416. Hopefully upgrades will also make it into civilian version. Actually HK thinks that those are not neccesary for semi-automatic rifle, but I was trying to convince them that it does not matter and civi versions should follow closely it's LE/mil older siblings.

One more picture - on the range:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image128_zps16bade30.jpg

darr3239
10-18-12, 10:25
If all the colors matched the handrail, or at least the receiver, it would be a good looking gun.

RyanB
10-18-12, 10:36
That front sight won't fold forward with a can on and I can't find the sling attachment points on that stock.

TMS951
10-18-12, 11:34
Do you know why the castle nut is so long?

Doc. Holiday
10-18-12, 13:28
If all the colors matched the handrail, or at least the receiver, it would be a good looking gun.

+1 Seriously! It's an awesome gun but the bronze body with that nasty piss gold colored furniture makes it look awful.

CodeRed30
10-18-12, 13:41
That front sight won't fold forward with a can on and I can't find the sling attachment points on that stock.

Good call on the front sight. Didn't even notice until you said something.

Interested as well to see why the castle nut has the design that it does.

Dmaynor
10-18-12, 13:53
Will any of these changes make their way into the MR556 line?

ForTehNguyen
10-18-12, 15:05
colors looks worse than the first SCAR 16 production runs

montrala
10-18-12, 15:36
Do you know why the castle nut is so long?

Yes. From my blog:

Receiver extension nut (castle nut) - one of easily spotted additions is big castle nut. When HK developed G28 DMR rifle, they had problem with Bundeswehr drop test. G28 is very heavy rifle, with bull barrel and steel upper receiver and receiver extension interface with lower receiver was weak spot. Developing larger (longer) castle nut helped to reinforce this area, as new nut takes some stress of receiver extension. For sake of uniformity and to not make several kind of same part HK incorporated this solution to HK416A5 and to HK417A2.

BTW Colors look much better in real. I was struggling with white balance in my really old Sony camera.

bigdog2003_99
10-18-12, 18:56
I think it looks really good, I wonder why they didn't make it as suppressor friendly with that front sight post.

filthy phil
10-18-12, 19:19

Yeah, too many colors like somebody beat a clown with it

LtNovakUSA
10-18-12, 19:59
Is the dust cover plastic? If it is there a reason they moving to this? As I understand they are on the MR556 but not the pre A5 416s. Trigger pins also look different, like they are mushroomed on the side photographed. Are they held in place by the trigger and hammer springs or some other way?

JSGlock34
10-18-12, 20:35
Seems like a lot of G28 influence, to include the mismatched color scheme.

Magic_Salad0892
10-18-12, 20:55
Give me one good reason this gun doesn't have ambi controls.

Mjolnir
10-18-12, 22:13
Guys, these would be prototypes.

Magic_Salad0892
10-19-12, 00:01
Guys, these would be prototypes.

The production 416 doesn't have an ambi bolt, or magazine release either.

VIP3R 237
10-19-12, 00:30
I think they win the award for ugliest stock ever. Interesting design on the selector and fcg pins.

Any idea what the hole is to the rear of the rear take down pin?

Arctic1
10-19-12, 03:14
Is the dust cover plastic? If it is there a reason they moving to this? As I understand they are on the MR556 but not the pre A5 416s.

The dust cover on our guns are plastic.

I think they win the award for ugliest stock ever

I am serioulsy looking forward to getting that stock over the E1 stock I have. Who cares how it looks as long as it works.....?

montrala
10-19-12, 05:41
I think it looks really good, I wonder why they didn't make it as suppressor friendly with that front sight post.

I think it is not worse than original 10.4" version is regarding front sight versus suppressor. Actually for users that want to use suppressors, HK has different set of sights (rail mounted) in offer.

Is the dust cover plastic? If it is there a reason they moving to this? As I understand they are on the MR556 but not the pre A5 416s. Trigger pins also look different, like they are mushroomed on the side photographed. Are they held in place by the trigger and hammer springs or some other way?

Dust cover on HK416 is plastic at least since A2 or even A1.

Give me one good reason this gun doesn't have ambi controls.

Reason is they could not show me ambi version, due to ongoing patent process. Fully ambi version is in works (probably will go up as A6, but I'm not 100% on that).

Buttstock may look ugly but it actually is really nice. They removed sling loops per user requirements (loops were going in way of cheekrest for some), but there is slot to thread sling trough it.

I covered most of this questions on my blog (but I do not know what this small hole behind rear receiver pin is - I will try to find out).

As to colors, Aimpoint rubber cover is standard Aimpoint FDE one. You can use it as reference. I think that stock and grip turned up little to bright. Old Sony digital cameras had this "feature" or making some colors too bright or increasing contrast, and my DSC-F707 is really old (like 11 years?). It is so old that one guy asked me what new model is that, because he looks for new camera for him. I would call it vintage :)

EDIT: This is picture of HK417A2 (with old style stock, they also can have new stocks like HK416A5). On this picture colors are closer to real look, than on HK416A5 pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image164_zps3d1a3a2a.jpg

Larry Vickers
10-19-12, 06:01
The hole behind the rear receiver takedown pin is the roll pin that retains the buffer retaining plunger and spring - on the 416 it is retained by a roll pin instead of the buffer tube itself

The dust cover has been polymer for awhile now with no issues that I am aware of

montrala
10-19-12, 06:25
The hole behind the rear receiver takedown pin is the roll pin that retains the buffer retaining plunger and spring - on the 416 it is retained by a roll pin instead of the buffer tube itself

The dust cover has been polymer for awhile now with no issues that I am aware of

Thank you Sir! You saved me punching this roll pin out of my HK to see what it does :D

Boss Hogg
10-19-12, 09:11
Thank you for posting these. Looks like a nice improvement package.

RyanB
10-19-12, 10:08
The rail on the 417 should have the rails at the front and be smooth in the back.

Magic_Salad0892
10-19-12, 22:04
Reason is they could not show me ambi version, due to ongoing patent process. Fully ambi version is in works (probably will go up as A6, but I'm not 100% on that).

Win..

ForTehNguyen
10-21-12, 09:19
can anyone explain why being able to put it on safe while the hammer is dropped a big deal? Is it for condition 3 or what?

Jippo
10-21-12, 10:37
I prefer weapons that can be put on safe in any condition very much. IMO it is a quite serious flaw in design that a weapon can not do this.

Why? I like to be able to see weapon is on safe without touching it. I also very much prefer to keep weapons hammer down unless they are hot. In this part of world we have a habit of shooting a dry shot at the target after inspecting the chamber, just to make sure.

Now if I see an AR with selector on fire position I do not know if the weapon is in safe condition or not.

FlyingAttackPorcupine
10-21-12, 11:47
can anyone explain why being able to put it on safe while the hammer is dropped a big deal? Is it for condition 3 or what?

It isn't. It's only an issue if you improperly drop the hammer as part of the unloading/clearing process. There is no need to pull the trigger to ensure the gun is clear, and I don't understand where this practice comes from. Checking the chamber involves racking the bolt, which in turn cocks the hammer. There is no need to subsequently pull the trigger. You just checked the chamber. Dropping the hammer does nothing but put wear on the hammer spring.

Jippo
10-21-12, 12:04
Dropping the hammer provides on more safety step that points out any failure to properly check the firearm or accidental loading of the weapon. Especially useful when training new troops. Hearing a bang and fifty-nine hammers dropping when all you should hear is sixty "clicks" isn't totally unheard of.

MountainRaven
10-21-12, 12:26
Frankly, I don't see the issue with it either way.

I do prefer a weapon that cannot be put on safe when the hammer is dropped, though, for admin purposes. I can very easily tell when someone has dicked with a weapon when I see a rack of ARs that I left with empty chambers, hammers down, when I see that one of them (or more) is on 'Safe': The last time I handled them, they could not be put on 'Safe'.

I do not see the issue with dry firing the weapon to put it in such a condition, either, as the wear caused by doing so is insubstantial next to the wear caused by normal dry fire practice and live fire use and this same procedure is done every time one wants to field strip their Glock.

And I do not see the issue with such weapons not being able to be put on 'Safe' when the hammer is down on an empty chamber, as a weapon that is on the rack, on a desk, the floor, leaned against the wall, &c. is in pretty much the safest condition there is. It's only when a human being starts to handle a weapon that it becomes unsafe. And frankly, with raw recruits, I would be more concerned about their muzzle discipline.

So, in my opinion, if you must have the weapon on 'Safe', whether the hammer is cocked or not is irrelevant. If you must have the hammer down on an empty chamber, having the weapon on 'Safe' is irrelevant.

Just my one-point-five-nine Yen.

ETA: To expand upon my previous post regarding these never making it here:

The only regular forces of the United States military that use the HK416 are the Marines. It is extremely unlikely that they will adopt an M27A1 so soon after adopting the M27. The remainder are in use with special forces and are thus unlikely to be seen by us mere mortals. What's more is that they are unlikely to wholesale drop their current weapons in favor of the new-hotness: As their current HK416s are used up and destroyed, they will probably buy the new versions. They may even have H&K send them upgrade kits to retrofit the HK416s already in use, either en masse or as parts wear out.

With police forces in the US, unless H&K adopts some sort of individual officer purchase program, the -A5 will be unlikely to see much service with American law enforcement. Most American LE organizations that use HK416s adopted them prior to the recession and are unlikely to see much of an advantage to buying a 5% improved model, especially when they are making hard decisions about reducing officer pay, instating hiring freezes, and/or laying off officers. This same issue will also affect new agency purchases. And finally, it is not uncommon for American LE organizations to require their officers to buy their own carbines.

Ultimately, it will remain a rare bird. Hence, 'Too bad we'll never see it over here'.

RyanB
10-21-12, 12:46
Special Forces use the M4A1. The 416 is used by some Special Operations Forces. It's a specific distinction in the Army.

MountainRaven
10-21-12, 13:10
Special Forces use the M4A1. The 416 is used by some Special Operations Forces. It's a specific distinction in the Army.

I was not referring specifically to US Army Special Forces or to any other individual unit of the United States' military.

montrala
10-21-12, 15:59
HK calls this new safety "an European Safety". And it is introduced mostly by demand of non-US customers, that have procedures requiring safety to work despite hammer conditions (like on most European pistols as well, or AK rifles). Actually some armies deem M16/M4 (and rifles patterned after them) to be "unsafe" because as how safety works.

Here usually on some "military rifle" competitions they always ask to put rifle on safe after hammer down and comment about "s.....y rifle" when I say that AR15 can't do that. I think just one more difference in approach to the matter.

VIP3R 237
10-21-12, 20:56
Buttstock may look ugly but it actually is really nice. They removed sling loops per user requirements (loops were going in way of cheekrest for some), but there is slot to thread sling trough it.

EDIT: This is picture of HK417A2 (with old style stock, they also can have new stocks like HK416A5). On this picture colors are closer to real look, than on HK416A5 pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Oberndorf/image164_zps3d1a3a2a.jpg

Good to know on the stock, and i do like the extended rail on the HK417A2.

Arctic1
10-22-12, 02:25
What exactly is the downside of being able to engage the mechanical safety on a weapon without it being cocked? How can you be sure that a weapon with the selector on Semi is empty?

Treat all firearms as if they were loaded. What the selector is set to does not matter, if you are not sure, you check.

But for me, it is an extra indicator that the weapon is in fact safe.

montrala
10-22-12, 03:57
What exactly is the downside of being able to engage the mechanical safety on a weapon without it being cocked? How can you be sure that a weapon with the selector on Semi is empty?

Treat all firearms as if they were loaded. What the selector is set to does not matter, if you are not sure, you check.

But for me, it is an extra indicator that the weapon is in fact safe.

Looks like we both are "Europeans" :secret:

Good to know on the stock, and i do like the extended rail on the HK417A2.

If you use "fire hose" grip it is very comfortable and allows good control in short bursts (http://youtu.be/xoF8FDiBv_8?hd=1&t=12s).

jesuvuah
10-22-12, 06:14
Looks like and interesting rifle. The colors do not bother me much but I do not care for the sight

montrala
10-22-12, 07:36
Looks like and interesting rifle. The colors do not bother me much but I do not care for the sight

Then, for supperssor use you either use sight in up position or use this sights:

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/military/accessories/detail/articlenumber/233210.html

and

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/military/accessories/detail/articlenumber/233197.html

Or use for example folding Troy Micro sights.

Personally I never liked original HK gas block mounted sight. Neither in old, gas block mounted, version and in new version. OK, it gives slightly longer sights radius than rail mounted sights on 9" rail, but that is all. I prefer rail mounted sights (if I use ones at all).

Magic_Salad0892
10-22-12, 19:17
Montrala, thank you for your updates. Do you know the weight on this thing? It looks like a piggy.

VIP3R 237
10-23-12, 00:04
Montrala you get to play with all the sweet toys.

montrala
10-23-12, 07:47
Montrala you get to play with all the sweet toys.

I can assure you that you can play with and/or own much more sweet toys in US! ;)

Montrala, thank you for your updates. Do you know the weight on this thing? It looks like a piggy.

Guys from HK said that it has weight about same as previous model (in same configuration and barrel length/profile). Stock is lighter, but they said it is not significant overall change (like some 100-200g). I did not ask for solid figures. For me it felt (14.5" with 22mm/17mm barrel) light, but I use MR223 (16.5" with 25mm/19mm barrel). There are lighter profiles in offer.

Outlander Systems
08-03-18, 22:05
Does anyone know where I can get a damn HK416 buffer?

Mr. Goodtimes
08-03-18, 22:11
Does anyone know where I can get a damn HK416 buffer?

If you buy an HK416 it should come with one from the factory.

EDIT: Also, good job resurrecting a thread that’s been dead for 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
08-04-18, 08:17
I’ma need you to stay in the KAC discussions, please, and thank you.

If you buy an HK416 it should come with one from the factory.

EDIT: Also, good job resurrecting a thread that’s been dead for 6 years.

jpmuscle
08-04-18, 08:45
YOU DONT NEED THE FACTORY BUFFER

Tokarev
08-05-18, 09:24
Does anyone know where I can get a damn HK416 buffer?Out of stock but maybe worth signing up for their email alert.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=41&idcategory=135

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RetroRevolver77
08-05-18, 14:49
Out of stock but maybe worth signing up for their email alert.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=41&idcategory=135

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sometimes stuff is out of stock for six months, then suddenly you'll get an e-mail that they have five items in stock.

montrala
08-23-18, 03:37
I can't verify, because since GDPR came in force Brownells banned all EU customers from their webage (I can't even browse it anymore), but they supposedly have huge stock of HK parts they obtained recently. Worth checking.

Outlander Systems
08-23-18, 05:53
Thanks man.

That sucks about GDPR...

I can't verify, because since GDPR came in force Brownells banned all EU customers from their webage (I can't even browse it anymore), but they supposedly have huge stock of HK parts they obtained recently. Worth checking.