PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a predicament...

Jake.g.dpms
10-18-12, 20:04
So I currently have a frankenrifle that I've been working on The past few months, it started life off as a dpms sportical but since I found this website I am now educated and wanted to have a quality rifle, so I put the following parts into it. I currently have a bcm upper on it with a troy mrf handgaurd, and I plan on getting an alg trigger, bcm barrel and bcg, so basically the only thing dpms on the gun would be the lower. But today I went to my local shop and they had a ddm4 v1 and the worker said he'd trade in my rifle for the ddm4, he hasn't given me the price I'd have to pay along with the trade but I was wondering should I continue to build my rifle to tdp specs or just get the ddm4?

Boss302
10-18-12, 20:06
Honestly, I'd wait and see how much cash he wants on top of the rifle. I'm willing to bet it's going to be more than you think.

Jake.g.dpms
10-18-12, 20:09
Well it was listed for 1300 but he said he'd go down in price, I think I could get a fair price for mine since I put better parts on it, but then again I could be wrong

Warp
10-18-12, 20:17
Well it was listed for 1300 but he said he'd go down in price, I think I could get a fair price for mine since I put better parts on it, but then again I could be wrong

Modifying things pretty much guarantees you won't get back what you put in, be it a rifle, a computer, a car, you name it.

nubs101
10-18-12, 20:18
I'd just keep it and try to save for the DD. Its not like the DPMS isn't working . If anything its there for parts.

J8127
10-18-12, 20:19
I would get the v1. That rifle is pretty well perfect.

Jake.g.dpms
10-18-12, 20:19
That is true. A part of me says to keep mine and make it to tdp specs just because it was my first gun and I could learn something by doing the work myself

Colt guy
10-18-12, 20:21
Honestly, I'd wait and see how much cash he wants on top of the rifle. I'm willing to bet it's going to be more than you think.

That's good advice, but if he does not give you enough for your rifle. Put it back to stock I assume you have kept the parts, and sell it. Put a high price on it and be willing to come down some. You now have money to build or buy what you want.:dance3:

J8127
10-18-12, 20:23
That is true. A part of me says to keep mine and make it to tdp specs just because it was my first gun and I could learn something by doing the work myself

Are you able to do both? The v1 can be your rock while you learn on what you are building?

I have a DDv2 that I'm going to put the 12" rail on, thats my rifle that I know will never fail me, and I have another local lower that I tinker with to learn and turn into my gucci toy.

Jake.g.dpms
10-18-12, 20:25
I get your point, the problem is i want to have a gun so I can shoot and use it for home defense if needed, and I feel If I built it up I'd have it at the same quality as the Daniel defense but I wouldn't have to sell it and be gunless

Jake.g.dpms
10-18-12, 20:27
Are you able to do both? The v1 can be your rock while you learn on what you are building?

I have a DDv2 that I'm going to put the 12" rail on, thats my rifle that I know will never fail me, and I have another local lower that I tinker with to learn and turn into my gucci toy.

That I am not, I'm in college right now trying to learn the ways of the nurse as well as the ways of the gun and I don't have the funding to buy the Daniel defense

J8127
10-18-12, 20:31
I get your point, the problem is i want to have a gun so I can shoot and use it for home defense if needed, and I feel If I built it up I'd have it at the same quality as the Daniel defense but I wouldn't have to sell it and be gunless

Well, I by no way mean this as an insult, but if I had one rifle that I was going to bet my life on, I would surely chose a Daniel Defense over what I could build myself (granted I'm not IG or some of the other guys here, but it doesn't sound like you are either).

Jake.g.dpms
10-18-12, 20:34
No insult taken, but I am a very handy person and from what I've done so far I'd say it's a pretty solid rifle

seb5
10-18-12, 21:36
There is a bit of prejudice involved in many in regards to brands. If your lower is in spec it really doesn't matter if it says DPMS. Many will not want anything that has their name on it. You said you wanted to keep you first carbine but the lower will be the only original piece when you get done. I think you should at least see what the additional amount will be and then make your decision. If it's to high stay on your current path. As far as a rifle to depend on unless you really know what you're doing I wouldn't trust it like I would the DD.

Split66
10-18-12, 22:56
Solution 1.

Upgrade buffer and BCG. Skip barrel upgrade (assuming it's not shot out), skip trigger upgrade ( assuming it's not horrible ).

Use barrel/trigger money to buy ammo and practice. Study hard, get good grades, graduate, get a job and buy whatever your heart desires.

Solution 2

Give up the ghost, sell DPMS outright. Live without carbine. Spend proceeds and upgrade money on a baseline BCM or Colt. DD seems a bridge too far? Study hard, get good grades, graduate, job and buy whatever.

Solution 3

Proceed with your plan. Upgrade the DPMS. Live with the "lipstick pig" and be happy.

Either way the trade in typically will result in you being raped. Again, dont get too fixated on that DDm4v1, there are other quality carbines out there that would better fit your life/financial situation should you decide to move on from your panther.

Stickman
10-18-12, 23:24
I think you would be crazy not to at least see how much they would give you for your DPMS. Then you can change your user name... :D

MrCleanOK
10-18-12, 23:27
The only part of the first AR-15 I bought that I still have is the lower receiver and some of the parts kit. I have been through the entire "oh crap, what I have isn't good enough, now I need to make it better" game. That is going to get expensive, let me tell you. I think most people go through two or three reincarnations before they get it right. Do I know a lot more about AR-15's, and how I prefer them? Sure I do. Would I have been ahead financially if I had just sold Version 1.0 and bought 2.0, instead of building 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3? Yes.

If the DD is what you really want, no amount of upgrades to your DPMS is going to turn it into one. You can replace parts so that functionally, the quality is about the same, but it's still not a factory DD rifle, perfect right out of the box.

Figure out what is most important to you. If it's tinkering and learning about the AR-15, do the work and build your rifle yourself. If it's saving a buck, sell what you have, then shop around around and find the best deal on a BCM, Colt, DD or LMT that meets your needs. If it's getting a DD rifle, then sell what you have and get what you want.

Jake.g.dpms
10-19-12, 15:13
Well, over 400$ is a bit much right off the bat, I think I'll just stock with my plan and then move on to a new rifle after college, seems to be the best move right now

Pappabear
10-19-12, 18:07
No insult taken, but I am a very handy person and from what I've done so far I'd say it's a pretty solid rifle

I'm handy too, I can drive to Markm's in 5 minutes. :D
****in Gunz will leave a brother hanging and leave the great state of AZ to garnish wages. :p HE GONE !

Littlelebowski
10-19-12, 18:10
If it runs for you, stick with it.

chadbag
10-19-12, 18:13
If it runs for you, stick with it.

+100

You've basically put all new, and quality parts into it. If it runs, and it should, stick with it. Just make sure that whatever you do to it, you do it correctly. Go slow, and get advice and help if needed.

All my guns are self built. I have no desire for any factory guns, personally, myself (I am not against factory guns).

--

Pappabear
10-19-12, 18:23

I'm handy too, I can drive to Markm's in 5 minutes. :D
****in Gunz will leave a brother hanging and leave the great state of AZ to garnish wages. :p HE GONE !

whick1
10-20-12, 07:03
Well, over 400$ is a bit much right off the bat, I think I'll just stock with my plan and then move on to a new rifle after college, seems to be the best move right now

I may have misunderstood your post but if the local shop is offering to trade your DPMS Sportical, which I see all the time for less than $600, plus $400 for a NEW DD m4v1 I would jump on it if I could afford it. To get the rifle where it sounds like you wan tit you are going to spend way over $400 and it will have no where near the resale value of the DD. At my local sho a M4v1 goes for right around $1300 but I have seen them go for over $1500. So that means you would be trading a rifle that is worth basically $600 or less plus $400 for a $1300-$1500 rifle. Its a no brainer if you can afford the $$$. If not I would ask if they do layaway and trade your rifle in for wahtever he is offering then pay the $400 off as funds permit.

Jake.g.dpms
10-20-12, 07:36
I may have misunderstood your post but if the local shop is offering to trade your DPMS Sportical, which I see all the time for less than $600, plus $400 for a NEW DD m4v1 I would jump on it if I could afford it. To get the rifle where it sounds like you wan tit you are going to spend way over $400 and it will have no where near the resale value of the DD. At my local sho a M4v1 goes for right around $1300 but I have seen them go for over $1500. So that means you would be trading a rifle that is worth basically $600 or less plus $400 for a $1300-$1500 rifle. Its a no brainer if you can afford the $$$. If not I would ask if they do layaway and trade your rifle in for wahtever he is offering then pay the $400 off as funds permit.

I payed 750$ for the sportical, and he said over 400$ he didn't really give me and exact price, but if I had the funds I would have jumped on it in a heart beat. But right now I gotta focus on school and I feel that it's best for me to do it myself over a longer period of time

Stickman
10-20-12, 13:16
I payed 750$ for the sportical, and he said over 400$ he didn't really give me and exact price, but if I had the funds I would have jumped on it in a heart beat. But right now I gotta focus on school and I feel that it's best for me to do it myself over a longer period of time

If you can't afford it, the price really doesn't matter. Take care of what you need to.

Had trading it in been an option, I would have thrown all the DPMS stuff back on, dropped it off at the shop, and saved the decent parts as extras.

jeminyned
10-20-12, 15:08
Just take the lower to a gun show or shop and trade it or sell it and get a reputable brand lower to replace it! ;)