PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot Near Detroit

Slayers
10-19-12, 10:11
I just moved from the NY to MI and I am looking for good places to shoot my AR. I am living in Southfield but I work out of Detroit so anywhere around either place would be great

Joeywhat
10-19-12, 10:18
There's a few indoor places like Firing Line in Westland and Double Action in Madison Heights. Top Gun in Taylor is also an option but a bit further from you. Most these places require you buy their ammo or have yours checked.

For an outdoor range with "no rules" (be safe, obviously) you'll have to drive a good 45 minutes or so. My favorite is Post 46 in Pinckney. There are others closer, but they either have awful hours or FUDD ranges.

WillC
10-19-12, 10:34
From what it sounds like from the news ... just about anywhere.

500grains
10-19-12, 11:31
I wonder if anyone would notice if you set up a kill house in an unoccupied bldg.

Ecant004
10-19-12, 13:08
I usually shoot at Pontiac Lake State Rec Area. It's $4 for the day. They have 10, 25, 50 and 100 meter ranges, as well as a clay sports area if you bring your own thrower. It's probably about 30 minutes from you. I shoot 3gun at the The Livingston Gun Club, which is probably 30-45 minutes from you. They are a membership only club, but allow more realistic shooting and have steel targets.

zacbol
10-19-12, 15:36
Used to live in Michigan. I always found the Firing Line to have been a well run facility.

The one place I would strongly recommend *against* is Target Shooting Sports on Woodward. Last time I was there (admittedly back in 2006) the staff were demonstrating how to operate a rental gun by pointing the weapons at eachother. I didn't go back after that.

Caduceus
10-19-12, 17:14
I think Target Shooting is the one I went to - on Woodward, around 11 mile, in Royal Oak? Was OK but always crowded.

There's a shooting range at Bald Mtn State Recreation Area, about 45 min from Royal Oak - figure about 20 min added from downtown Detroit. Check out the website for the Michigan DNR.

pyzik
12-06-12, 15:05
There's a few indoor places like Firing Line in Westland and Double Action in Madison Heights. Top Gun in Taylor is also an option but a bit further from you. Most these places require you buy their ammo or have yours checked.

For an outdoor range with "no rules" (be safe, obviously) you'll have to drive a good 45 minutes or so. My favorite is Post 46 in Pinckney. There are others closer, but they either have awful hours or FUDD ranges.
A big +1. Firingline at least has their 50 yard indoor range.
I like Island Lake out in Brighton. It's a little FUDD, but I like it.