PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X400 Lens Becoming Loose/Cracked?

ddnguyen9
10-19-12, 13:35
So I have two Surefire X400 Weaponlights. One is mounted on my Springfield TRP. After a few hundred rounds of .45 ACP, the lens was cracked and became loose. I could move the lens back and forth with my finger and the carbon was slowly getting into len housing. I sent it to Surefire and they repaired it and sent it back to me. So far no more issues (but I haven't put many rounds through my TRP since).

The second X400 is mounted on my Glock 17 Gen4. The lens became loose (but not cracked) after a few trips to the range. I contacted Surefire and they fixed the X400 and sent it back to me. They told me some X400s were shipped without a particular item installed ("something" bond). Well... I thought everything was fine and dandy until I looked at this X400 and the lens is loose AGAIN! I didn't even take it to the range! Are you kidding me? So I called Surefire again. They stated they will fix it (Lifetime warranty is awesome) but that means I am left without a light on my G17 for a few weeks. This means, I had to send in my X400 two times for the same issue....

Anyone have any issues with the Surefire X400 Weaponlight's lens becoming loose and/or cracked from the recoil of a handgun?

ddnguyen9
10-19-12, 16:02
Just an update, I was contacted by a Surefire supervisor and he stated they will give me a brand new X400 since this would have been the second repair of the same issue. I have to say, their warranty service is amazing. You definitely get what you pay for. Coughing up $400 for the light is paying off now. This is why I choose Surefire over all other brands for flashlights.

Sent from my iPhone via tapatalk

Dos Cylindros
10-21-12, 17:10
Good to hear they are taking care of you. Surefire certainly has great CS. I know their lights are pricy, but I can't see myself going to another company for a weaponlight. In fact, as soon as funds allow I will be replacing my department issue Pelican light (which is a great light) with one of the new rechargeable units from surefire.

Wake27
10-21-12, 23:11
My X300 actually has the same loose issue. I can move it around with my finger. I didn't feel like dealing with it but I'm glad you said something because now I definitely will. Mine is less than a year old with pretty gentle use and only ~500 rounds of .45 on it.

ddnguyen9
10-21-12, 23:34
After receiving the brand spankin' new X400, I went to the range and put about 500 rounds of 9mm (combo of 115 & 147 grain factory and reloads) through my Glock 17 Gen4. Lens is still solid as a rock. Pictures to come...

Sent from my iPhone via tapatalk

ddnguyen9
10-21-12, 23:59
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/5D32AB47-D34D-4DAF-B198-5595517F6A04-17701-0000103D1BBAC498.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/848D2BBE-B78B-480A-84C9-AD97C9ADD3C1-17701-0000103C0229C6E2.jpg

LMT Shooter
10-22-12, 04:08
I had the same issue w/ my X300 & sent it back, got it fixed, no issues yet w/ the repaired one. I actually thought I had scratches on my lens, but it was the bonding compound that had broken loose, I think, inside the bezel. I hope they have the problem worked out, and their CS was good to me.

JBecker 72
12-11-12, 12:56
I broke mine yesterday. (well not broke as the light still functions) The lens, reflector and LED module came loose inside the head and now rattles around. I called Surefire and got an RMA and was told to wait until the new year to send it in because they shut down for the holidays. (understandable) The rep was very friendly and said they would fix it no questions asked. He also said to keep using it as it will not damage the light. This X300 has about 5000 rounds through it now and this is the first failure of a Surefire product I have had.

BTW, it was nice to call an American company, get an American on the phone in a few minutes, and have them stand by their product completely. :)

Wake27
12-11-12, 13:01
I broke mine yesterday. (well not broke as the light still functions) The lens, reflector and LED module came loose inside the head and now rattles around. I called Surefire and got an RMA and was told to wait until the new year to send it in because they shut down for the holidays. (understandable) The rep was very friendly and said they would fix it no questions asked. He also said to keep using it as it will not damage the light. This X300 has about 5000 rounds through it now and this is the first failure of a Surefire product I have had.

BTW, it was nice to call an American company, get an American on the phone in a few minutes, and have them stand by their product completely. :)

That last part made me happy haha.

JBecker 72
12-11-12, 13:15
That last part made me happy haha.

It made me happy as well.

ddnguyen9
12-11-12, 14:20
These is one of the reasons why I woud spend more for something that is made in USA.

CCM
12-30-12, 00:06
Gents,

Are there any indications as to which lights (seems that all models are suspect) might exhibit this issue (a certain time of manufacturer).

I currently have a X200B and to X300s that have never given my issue. Knowing my luck, they will soon.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Surefire products. The only issues I have ever had where with pressure pads that developed shorts.

ddnguyen9
12-30-12, 01:59
Gents,

Are there any indications as to which lights (seems that all models are suspect) might exhibit this issue (a certain time of manufacturer).

I currently have a X200B and to X300s that have never given my issue. Knowing my luck, they will soon.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Surefire products. The only issues I have ever had where with pressure pads that developed shorts.

I personally don't know which "batch" were the bad ones. I have a X200B and a X300 and never had an issue. The replacement X400 has about 1000 rounds of 9mm through it and no issues so far.