PDA

View Full Version : Tax Refund AR build... need advice

Blitzking
02-10-08, 13:41
Here's what Im planning so far,I'm looking to build a 16 Carbine for general use
I'm wanting to make sure Im not making any mistakes. most of you guys seem to know alot more about AR's than I do so here's the plan so far:

CMMG M-4 16" 1 in 7 twist
Egress Bolt upgrade
PRI Gas buster for my M4-2000
M4 Ramps
LaRue LT606 light mount
YHM light weight free float Rail
Versa pod
Stag arms lower
Chip McCormick Trigger
Command Arms 6 pos stock
Magpul Miad Grip & trigger guard
DPMS Ambi selector

Anything you would do differant?

m700m
02-10-08, 14:28
for general use, i like the CMMG m4 ''16 just as they ship it. clean and simple. of course i hope you do not read this as anything other than my opinion. Don......

RD62
02-10-08, 14:40
Not personally a fan of the YHM tubes, CAA stocks, or match triggers except on match rifles. I find that for slightly more $$, and I mean slightly you can go with a better quality rail or stock.

-RD62

Robb Jensen
02-10-08, 14:49
For a general purpose blaster sounds good. Just be sure to assemble everything correctly and you should be GTG.

C4IGrant
02-10-08, 14:59
Pass on the CMMG and get a LMT. Pass on the YHM rails and get LT, DD, VLTOR ,etc. Pass on the CAA stock and get a Magpul CTR or VLTOR.

No need to the ambi safety either.

C4

SuicideHz
02-10-08, 15:13
Here's what Im planning so far,I'm looking to build a 16 Carbine for general use
I'm wanting to make sure Im not making any mistakes. most of you guys seem to know alot more about AR's than I do so here's the plan so far:

CMMG M-4 16" 1 in 7 twist
Egress Bolt upgrade
PRI Gas buster for my M4-2000
M4 Ramps
LaRue LT606 light mount
YHM light weight free float Rail
Versa pod
Stag arms lower
Chip McCormick Trigger
Command Arms 6 pos stock
Magpul Miad Grip & trigger guard
DPMS Ambi selector

Anything you would do differant?

I don't like CMMG personally. Bad experience with products and Customer Service.

Not familiar with the bolt upgrade but if it's anything different than the standard insert and o-ring upgrade it's unnecessary.

I'm not a fan of YHM handguards. Go with the standard until you can afford a KAC or Omega for it.

Why the CAA stock? Are you not getting one with the lower? CAA is usually looked down upon around here and any place with decent common sense.

Blitzking
02-10-08, 16:11
is I plan on putting a surefire on it and I like the battery storage option
and the cheek peice that locks on to it for scope use.I'm kinda a accuracy nut so I'll proably be putting a scope on it, same reason for the match trigger.
I'm trying to keep this under $1500 I'll definatly look into all suggestions posted here and still try to keep it under $1500 Thanks for all your suggestions

C4IGrant
02-10-08, 16:18
is I plan on putting a surefire on it and I like the battery storage option
and the cheek peice that locks on to it for scope use.I'm kinda a accuracy nut so I'll proably be putting a scope on it, same reason for the match trigger.
I'm trying to keep this under $1500 I'll definatly look into all suggestions posted here and still try to keep it under $1500 Thanks for all your suggestions

The VLTOR has battery storage and is much better made.

If you are into accuracy, do not buy a chrome lined barrel. Stick with SS.

You can build just about anything you want for $1,500.

C4

Blitzking
02-10-08, 17:47
I already have a stainless 20 inch for longer range I wanted the chrome lined barrel for long life.This upper will likely be snapped onto a registered class 3-receiver from time to time so chrome lined is best for my purpose's..
witch rail system is best for the money?

MassMark
02-10-08, 20:36
It sounds as if you're flexible to suggestions, so I might suggest giving Jon Kruger over at Anvil Arms a call. He's building a great rep building Ar-15's - even does custom engraving....I started shopping for uppers myself, but after much in the way of correspondence with Jon, have decided to have him build me an M4 upper and the price is absolutely right. One measure that led me to this decision was an E-mail exchange where Jon actually guided me toward a build that was less expensive than the one I proposed to him - that says a lot in my book.....

www.anvilarms.com

Blitzking
02-10-08, 20:58
I'll shoot him a email so far on this upper Im looking at $961 with everything I'm looking at with lower & accessorys $1730

MassMark
02-10-08, 21:06
I'll shoot him a email so far on this upper Im looking at $961 with everything I'm looking at with lower & accessorys $1730

Absolutely give Jon a call or shoot him an E-mail...My M4 Carbine upper, (14.5 + pinned comp), chrome lined, M4 feed ramps, bolt, standard handgurds etc is WAY below $961.00. His lowers are really affordable - DIY for $100 custom engraving is extra. My lower is custom engraved and serial numbered, with an installed LPK for $183.00 shipped....

RD62
02-10-08, 22:24
Iwitch rail system is best for the money?

Right now I'd definately have to say the DD Omega rail.

I think carrying extra batteries for a weapon light is a must. I personally don't think that batteries in the pistol grip, VFG, or stock is the best way for ME to PERSONALLY accomplish this. Some type of belt, vest, or rig mounted pouch I feel works best for me. It allows generally larger capacity, easier access, and keeps the weapon lighter, making it more handy in my opinion. But that's just me, you may feel different. If you go with a stock to hold batteries, I would look at other alternatives than the CAA. In my limited experience with them I have found them very cheaply priced and made.

-RD62

C4IGrant
02-11-08, 08:35
I already have a stainless 20 inch for longer range I wanted the chrome lined barrel for long life.This upper will likely be snapped onto a registered class 3-receiver from time to time so chrome lined is best for my purpose's..
witch rail system is best for the money?

LT, DD, KAC, VLTOR

C4

Mike91A
02-11-08, 20:10
Absolutely give Jon a call or shoot him an E-mail...My M4 Carbine upper, (14.5 + pinned comp), chrome lined, M4 feed ramps, bolt, standard handgurds etc is WAY below $961.00. His lowers are really affordable - DIY for $100 custom engraving is extra. My lower is custom engraved and serial numbered, with an installed LPK for $183.00 shipped.... What is the twist rate of your 14.5 barrel?

MassMark
02-11-08, 21:49
What is the twist rate of your 14.5 barrel?

1:7 twist chrome lined