PDA

View Full Version : Glock extractor questions (not new ones)

currahee
10-19-12, 22:01
I have several gen 2s and some early gen 3s that I would like to standardize on the gen 3 extractor with the loaded chamber indicator and stock some spares.

Is there any issue with putting them in earlier Glocks?

I apologize if this has been covered before, I searched several pages of threads.

sparky-kb
10-19-12, 22:13
I'm looking forward to hearing what is said about this. I've asked what would happen when putting a new extractor into a solid older Glock in a thread here and one on LF and it seems nobody knew the answer or everyone ignored the question. Would be nice to know if having extra factory new extractors as replacement parts is even worthwhile for older guns or if they will shit the bed too if new parts are used as replacements.

ST911
10-19-12, 22:58
Recommend you don't fix guns that don't need fixing. The LCI offers little to nothing more than a requirement that the gun prove itself all over again. With that said...

If you have 90-degree ejection ports in those gen 2s, OEM LCIs are not available.

If you have 15-degree ejection port cuts, you can get the OEM LCI. The swap would require the extractor and the appropriate spring loaded bearing for the LCI. Note that each caliber has its own extractor(s) and spring loaded bearing(s). Unfortunate that the 15-degree non-LCI extractors have been discontinued. If you go forward with your conversion, you may find a market for your used ones.

Recommend if you go forward, call the techs at GI directly with the ser# and data for the guns you want to convert. Follow their direction and advice.

I have gen 2 and 3 9s and 40s, and gen 3s in 9 and 40 with LCIs. That's six extractors. 90/0, 90/5, 15/0, 15/0 LCI, 15/5, 15/5 LCI. That's just 9s and 40s. That's just the cataloged extractors published on GI parts lists.

(On a side note: During all this de riguer discussion of Glock extraction and ejection "issues" and fixes, watch for these finer points...or lack thereof.)

Hope that helps.

currahee
10-20-12, 15:17
Recommend you don't fix guns that don't need fixing. The LCI offers little to nothing more than a requirement that the gun prove itself all over again. With that said...

If you have 90-degree ejection ports in those gen 2s, OEM LCIs are not available.

If you have 15-degree ejection port cuts, you can get the OEM LCI. The swap would require the extractor and the appropriate spring loaded bearing for the LCI. Note that each caliber has its own extractor(s) and spring loaded bearing(s). Unfortunate that the 15-degree non-LCI extractors have been discontinued. If you go forward with your conversion, you may find a market for your used ones.

Recommend if you go forward, call the techs at GI directly with the ser# and data for the guns you want to convert. Follow their direction and advice.

I have gen 2 and 3 9s and 40s, and gen 3s in 9 and 40 with LCIs. That's six extractors. 90/0, 90/5, 15/0, 15/0 LCI, 15/5, 15/5 LCI. That's just 9s and 40s. That's just the cataloged extractors published on GI parts lists.

(On a side note: During all this de riguer discussion of Glock extraction and ejection "issues" and fixes, watch for these finer points...or lack thereof.)

Hope that helps.

Thanks' for the advice. I will certainly consider it. I would still like to get spares and springs and need to know if they are interchangeable.

So their is a difference in the angle of the extractor? I will look to see if I can tell a difference.

ST911
10-20-12, 17:42
Thanks' for the advice. I will certainly consider it. I would still like to get spares and springs and need to know if they are interchangeable.

90s... You'll be keeping what you have. No OEM options.
15s... You can convert to LCIs and have common extractors within a caliber.

9s and 40s aren't interchangeable. They could be swapped temporarily in an emergency/field expedient condition, but function may be compromised.

So their is a difference in the angle of the extractor? I will look to see if I can tell a difference.

The difference is visible. With the extractor removed, look at the claw. 0 or 5 degrees. IIRC, everything but 9mm now has a 5 degree claw.