PDA

View Full Version : Glock's Bluegun Contract

walkingbush
10-20-12, 09:10
According to www.blueguns.com, Glock's new contract with Rings Manufacturing prohibits the sale of Glock blue guns to the public. As a holster manufacturer I can still get them but on principle this pisses me off. What are your thoughts?

Michael Coffman

C45P312
10-20-12, 09:15
I think they made it that way just because Glock makes a sim gun that is blue and maybe they don't want people to get confused? When I seriously got into firearms training, I always associated a "red gun" as a gun used for combatives and a "blue gun" used for force on force.

http://www.rmbcl.com/wp-content/uploads/wp-checkout/images/-item-32033-blue-gun-fsg21sf-glock-21-s-1331494729.jpg

http://www.kiesler.com/shop/ProductImages/924_large.jpg

walkingbush
10-20-12, 09:34
That may be, however my hackles raise any time a gun company says the public can't have something. Especially when it's inert plastic!

C45P312
10-20-12, 09:39
my hackles raise any time a gun company says the public can't have something.
It's not the first time this has happened.

Steve S.
10-20-12, 11:51
According to www.blueguns.com, Glock's new contract with Rings Manufacturing prohibits the sale of Glock blue guns to the public. As a holster manufacturer I can still get them but on principle this pisses me off. What are your thoughts?

Michael Coffman

Have you gotten any since? When I spoke to Ring's awhile back, they said they would be requiring dealer status for holster manufacturers. My company has had dealer status for a long time, and we have multiples of the full Glock line, (so this doesnt really affect us short of a fire or theft) but holster makers who only have a couple dozen models may still be prohibited from buying Glock blue guns.

I haven't followed up since, so I can't say for sure. That is a pretty dick move of Glock IMO.

My questions are...

1) Will this spill over to other Glock replica makers (ASP, Viridian, Blackhawk!, etc)?

2) Are other firearm manufacturers able to do the same, or is it only because Glock makes their own "blue guns"? Is it seriously the color that is driving this? If so, why couldn't Rings make them another color to avoid any issues?

JB326
10-20-12, 12:51
I don't see why color would have anything to do with it... It definitely seems stupid.

I guess if anything happens to my molds I can still order from them as a LEO?

Heavy Metal
10-20-12, 13:12
I figure the reason Glock does not sell sim guns to the public is they figure somebody unqualified would shoot and hurt somebody else and they would get sued. Sim guns are kind of useless outside of Force on Force.

I figure the rest derives from that color choice on down to the blue rubber ducks.

jpmuscle
10-20-12, 22:55
Way to go Glock, don't spend your time doing anything constructive like fixing the problems you have already and do this instead :rolleyes::rolleyes:

All the more reason the shift my collection to M&Ps

jpmuscle
10-20-12, 23:00
I figure the reason Glock does not sell sim guns to the public is they figure somebody unqualified would shoot and hurt somebody else and they would get sued. Sim guns are kind of useless outside of Force on Force.

I figure the rest derives from that color choice on down to the blue rubber ducks.

Sure because selling ACTUAL firearms that propel REAL bullets down and out the barrels are obviously capable of doing less damage.

rocketeer02
11-04-12, 18:18
The original issue was the use of the Glock "Name and Likeness" by several companies that make different colored training weapons.

While the Glock name is not on the actual training weapon, it is on the packaging and is used in their ordering. My understanding is that Glock is aggressively pursuing all of the manufacturers with cease and desist letters.

I think it will shake out eventually, but for now I see this as just the first of many companies that are looking to protect their interests. Don't be surprised if other gun companies follow suit.

Ring's may end up being the only game in town when this is done!

ST911
11-04-12, 18:23
Trade dress concerns and issues seem to go in spurts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress