PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 question

captdreifus
10-20-12, 12:43
I have read majority of the glock extractor thread on this site that has talked about a very few instances of glock 22s malfunctioning. In those small cases, they were generation 4 glock 22s.

My inquiry is if the current production G22 generation 3 have the Btf and erratic ejection? I only ask because I want a primary weapon that does not have these issues as my G19s have. I'd rather have a weapon that works while waiting for Apex to release the 3rd generation 9mm extractor.

If the response yield that the G22 gen 3 are gtg, I will pick up a blue label immediately.

Thanks,
Capt

Nephrology
10-20-12, 12:44
It was the Gen 3 G22s and G23s that actually prompted the Gen 4 recoil assembly redesign. The Gen 3 G22s and G23s were experiencing serious malfunctions while fired with weapon mounted lights attached. If I was looking for a .40 cal Glock I'd go with a Gen 4.

To my knowledge the Gen 4 .40 cals do not have the extraction issues the 9mms do, or at least not nearly to the same extent.

captdreifus
10-20-12, 12:53
It was the Gen 3 G22s and G23s that actually prompted the Gen 4 recoil assembly redesign. The Gen 3 G22s and G23s were experiencing serious malfunctions while fired with weapon mounted lights attached. If I was looking for a .40 cal Glock I'd go with a Gen 4.

To my knowledge the Gen 4 .40 cals do not have the extraction issues the 9mms do, or at least not nearly to the same extent.

That is what I figured with the gen 4 g22 issues. I was aware of the light problem with the gen 3s, but I don't plan on attaching a weapon mounted light on it for this reason.

I just don't like the gen4 frames and mag release as I am left handed and I do not wish to reverse the mag release for consistancy and training purposes.

Nephrology
10-20-12, 13:05
That is what I figured with the gen 4 g22 issues. I was aware of the light problem with the gen 3s, but I don't plan on attaching a weapon mounted light on it for this reason.

I just don't like the gen4 frames and mag release as I am left handed and I do not wish to reverse the mag release for consistancy and training purposes.

If that is the case then I am aware of no problems with the Gen3 G22s. I also am aware of many who have been issued Gen 3 G22s and had no troubles with theirs with or without a weaponlight.

That said if you were really interested in a .40, I would look at the M&P.... I am not a fan of how the round handles in the Glock system, but YMMV.

Heavy Metal
10-20-12, 13:10
The Gen 4 22's and 23's have a more pleasant recoil impulse than the earlier gen Glocks in .40.

Gen 4 over Gen 3 in .40 is a no-brainer.

captdreifus
10-20-12, 13:18
If that is the case then I am aware of no problems with the Gen3 G22s. I also am aware of many who have been issued Gen 3 G22s and had no troubles with theirs with or without a weaponlight.

That said if you were really interested in a .40, I would look at the M&P.... I am not a fan of how the round handles in the Glock system, but YMMV.

I wanted to stick with the glock full size platform since I previously owned a g17 that had horrible ejection problems and apex was not even on the horizon then. As a cost saving factor, I already own several holsters.

The Gen 4 22's and 23's have a more pleasant recoil impulse than the earlier gen Glocks in .40.

Gen 4 over Gen 3 in .40 is a no-brainer.

I would go with gen 4 but the mag release chews up the top of my middle finger pretty good after a range session (rental gun).

So a gen3 g22 with no light is gtg?

CodeRed30
10-20-12, 13:31
I've had two separate gen-3 Glock 22's run with a Glock light with ZERO issues.

Regarding the recoil impulse, I've heard of guys swapping the operating spring out for a dual-rate version which yielded great results. I have yet to try that out for myself.

Nephrology
10-20-12, 13:53

I would buy with confidence. I would also not be surprised if you found that it worked just fine with the WML of your choice.

captdreifus
10-20-12, 14:23
Yeah, I will. Thanks!

MFWIC2
10-20-12, 20:04
I have a Glock 22 Gen.3 that's been RMR'D and run a Surefire X300 and I have had no issues.
Just thought I would chime in.

Heavy Metal
10-20-12, 20:54
I wanted to stick with the glock full size platform since I previously owned a g17 that had horrible ejection problems and apex was not even on the horizon then. As a cost saving factor, I already own several holsters.

I would go with gen 4 but the mag release chews up the top of my middle finger pretty good after a range session (rental gun).

Ridiculously easy fix for that is a Vickers Gen 4 Mag Release.

M4arc
10-22-12, 09:11
I have not had any extraction issues with my Gen4 G22 but I did experience some inconsistent EJECTION paterns early on. I didn't have any failures but it would occasionally throw brass back in my face. Robb Jenson replace my trigger housing unit with the new unmarked ejector and that cleared up all my issues.

All ejections are consistant now at the 4-5 o'clock position and the Gen4 G22 is now my favorite Glock.

Big A
10-22-12, 11:43
I would buy with confidence. I would also not be surprised if you found that it worked just fine with the WML of your choice.

This.

I'm issued a G22 and I have a TLR-1 (I'm a bailiff) on it and have had no issues or malfunctions with it other than those induced during requals to practice malf drills. If you go with the TLR line of weapon lights just don't over tighten the screw so the frame can flex properly. Other weapon lights should be GTG as they just slide on and lock in place.

RagweedZulu
10-22-12, 20:39
I've been running thousands of rounds through my Gen3 23 and 22 since around 2003-2004 with no probs whatsoever. And most of those rounds were shot in hot, dirty training with very little maintenance. I'm not recoil sensitive and I don't mount lights ON my guns, so for me they have been PERFECT. :blink:

captdreifus
10-22-12, 23:37
Thank you for all the replies. I ordered a G22 gen 3 from my lgs. Unbeknownst to me, I bought it from the newest member of the Glock team.

She was very knowledgeable and courteous as well.

I will report back once I have tested it out.

Capt

CodeRed30
10-23-12, 00:44
If you go with the TLR line of weapon lights just don't over tighten the screw so the frame can flex properly. Other weapon lights should be GTG as they just slide on and lock in place.

So is the consensus regarding G22 with lights mounted that malfunctions are caused by the light restricted the frame's ability to flex? Or is it the added weight on the end of the weapon?

Sensei
10-23-12, 12:59
I have not had any extraction issues with my Gen4 G22 but I did experience some inconsistent EJECTION paterns early on. I didn't have any failures but it would occasionally throw brass back in my face. Robb Jenson replace my trigger housing unit with the new unmarked ejector and that cleared up all my issues.

All ejections are consistant now at the 4-5 o'clock position and the Gen4 G22 is now my favorite Glock.

I had a similar problem with a FDE Gen 4 G22 that tossed every 5th or 6th round in my face for the first 50-100 rounds. It has since self-corrected and I've not had to dodge brass in over 1000 rounds. One up side to this issue is that my defensive Muay Thai game improved dramatically as I'm now much faster at slipping my opponents jabs and power crosses. Perhaps this Gen 4 ejection "problem" has been Glock's subtle effort to make us better boxers...

Big A
10-23-12, 14:30
So is the consensus regarding G22 with lights mounted that malfunctions are caused by the light restricted the frame's ability to flex? Or is it the added weight on the end of the weapon?

AFAIK, all the problems were with the Streamlight TLR line because people were over tightening the screw that holds it in place and this was not letting the nose of the frame flex properly and inducing malfunctions. I don't think the weight has anything to do with it because I never heard of other brands like Surfire or Insight causing this problem, just the Streamlight. However, this is what I heard on another froum (GT) so YMMV. I just made sure not to tighten mine down like I'm King Kong.

I have not had any problems with either of my Glocks in .40S&W (Issued G22 and personal G23) with a light on them. My G23 has an Insight M6 on it.

Sensei
10-23-12, 14:45
AFAIK, all the problems were with the Streamlight TLR line because people were over tightening the screw that holds it in place and this was not letting the nose of the frame flex properly and inducing malfunctions. I don't think the weight has anything to do with it because I never heard of other brands like Surfire or Insight causing this problem, just the Streamlight. However, this is what I heard on another froum (GT) so YMMV. I just made sure not to tighten mine down like I'm King Kong.

I have not had any problems with either of my Glocks in .40S&W (Issued G22 and personal G23) with a light on them. My G23 has an Insight M6 on it.

No, 40 caliber Glocks have had their share of problems with Surefire. So much so that Surefire mentions the reliability problem in the manual for X300 series of lights. Bottom line, stick with a Gen 4 Glock if you plan to shoot 40 SW with a light attached.

Big A
10-23-12, 14:53
No, 40 caliber Glocks have had their share of problems with Surefire. So much so that Surefire mentions the reliability problem in the manual for X300 series of lights. Bottom line, stick with a Gen 4 Glock if you plan to shoot 40 SW with a light attached.

Good to know. Does the SureFire cause problems on the 9mm Glocks?

Thanks.

captdreifus
10-23-12, 23:18
Good to know. Does the SureFire cause problems on the 9mm Glocks?

Thanks.

Not that I have heard or seen.