PDA

View Full Version : What is the current "best" tubular handguard?

JBecker 72
10-20-12, 15:34
I'm putting together a BCM lightweight middy and want to run a 12" tube free float with a Surefire X300 at 12 o'clock. I would also like to run a hand stop and also have QD sling swivels on either side close to the receiver, but other than that I don't have any needs for rail space.

For tube handguards, I'm seeing the troy rails are popular as are the Midwest Industries. My concerns are reports of the Troy rails shifting, and the Midwest rails being out of spec. (I have experienced this personally and wrote them off pretty much) What else should I be looking at? I just want something that is quality, and is light that won't shift around and stuff actually fits the rail portion. (anyone who has run a X300 on a MI rail knows what I'm talking about) Price doesn't matter much.

jbo723
10-20-12, 16:02
I'd also take a look at the Geissele and Noveske NSR rail. I was pretty surprised at how light the NSR actually is when you hold one in person. I just picked up the Geissele but, have no other personal experiences with it so far.

A couple of friends i shoot with regularly have NSR equipted rifles and I'll probably end up with one myself eventually.

richdkim77
10-20-12, 16:03
I hate tubular rails, but about 6 months ago, I decided to try one out long term before canning the idea. I used a 12" Rainier Arms Evo Rail. (made by Samson) So far, I have about 2500 rounds down range with it, about 2000 suppressed. I like the rails more and more as I shoot with it. I thought I would feel more heat through the rails, but it hasn't been an issue. I also realized I didn't need that much rail space, and the 4 and 2" panels included are basically all I need.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2563

The way it lets me handle the carbine, and the weight has me *almost* convinced to go with another tubular rail on a future build. They're now out in 15" version which will fit a suppressor inside, which is a plus for me.

takashi
10-20-12, 16:05
The two rails I run both fit the ticket very nicely, that is the Noveske NSR and the KAC URX 3.
The URX has a slightly larger diameter, for what it's worth. Both are extremely light.

ETA: The URX has an integrated front sight, which may or may not be something you are looking for, particularly with a flashlight at 12 o'clock.

JBecker 72
10-20-12, 16:09
That Rainier rail looks very nice and pretty reasonably priced too. Any issues with it shifting on you?

JBecker 72
10-20-12, 16:13
The two rails I run both fit the ticket very nicely, that is the Noveske NSR and the KAC URX 3.
The URX has a slightly larger diameter, for what it's worth. Both are extremely light.

ETA: The URX has an integrated front sight, which may or may not be something you are looking for, particularly with a flashlight at 12 o'clock.

I have given thought to the URX 3.1 as it does not have the integrated sight, but the barrel nut tool cost kinda turned me off to this rail.

richdkim77
10-20-12, 16:14
I haven't had any issues with shifting, it's pretty solid so far. With the LE/Mil discount, it was far easier to try out than some of the others.

jet66
10-20-12, 17:09
We should be receiving a 15" Evo rail next week, for my wife's first build, I'm glad to see more positive reviews on that line. I like the fact that they use a standard bbl nut with add-on heatsink panels to mate it up to the rail. If we have anything good (or bad) to add after it all comes together, I'll report back.

balloo93
10-20-12, 17:36
I have the 12.37" EVO on a 14.5" barreled upper and it's been solid. There are two indexing pins on either side that keep the handguard centered. Never had a shift issue on that upper.

Stan9106
10-20-12, 18:05
I have EVO rails on two AR's. They are rock solid if installed correctly.

David Thomas
10-20-12, 18:08
I'm putting together a BCM lightweight middy and want to run a 12" tube free float with a Surefire X300 at 12 o'clock. I would also like to run a hand stop and also have QD sling swivels on either side close to the receiver, but other than that I don't have any needs for rail space.

For tube handguards, I'm seeing the troy rails are popular as are the Midwest Industries. My concerns are reports of the Troy rails shifting, and the Midwest rails being out of spec. (I have experienced this personally and wrote them off pretty much) What else should I be looking at? I just want something that is quality, and is light that won't shift around and stuff actually fits the rail portion. (anyone who has run a X300 on a MI rail knows what I'm talking about) Price doesn't matter much.

The troy Alpha was my favorite. The ease of the installation and the superb ergonomics make this handguard a winner. The alpha really shines when you use IWC's mount-n-slot accessories and avoid the add-on rails entirely. Never had my alpha shift. I have read about the old extreme shifting. Never heard or read about the alpha shifting.

The Noveske NSR is simply awesome. The key mod accessories are slick and easy to install. It is my new favorite, but I do still love the Troy Alpha.

JBecker 72
10-20-12, 18:21
Thanks for the info guys. Right now the NSR and EVO rails are what I'm looking at as both look like they will do the job nicely.

Magic_Salad0892
10-20-12, 18:36
You have a lot of good options.

KAC URX-3.1
Troy Alpha
Daniel Defense MFR
Noveske NSR

Any of those are good. Though I'm partial to KAC, or Troy.

justin_247
10-20-12, 19:27
The NSR is a sweet, sweet rail. I also really like the Troy/VTAC Alpha and the Samson/Rainier EVO/Evolution rails.

I haven't tried the DD MFR, but pretty much everything they produce is amazing, so I wouldn't hesitate to try one.

Cutshaw
10-20-12, 19:51
I lack the experience to comment on "best." I can only report my experience with a Noveske factory installed Troy TRX and installing a Troy Alpha on another AR of mine.

The TRX hasn't shifted and the Alpha was easy to install, pretty flush and both have been solid. I like them a lot. I wouldn't have sneezed at a Samson or NSR either.

wahoo95
10-20-12, 21:22
Another to really consider is the Barnes Precision Ultralight. Its very similar to the KAC with a rock solid mounting system, replaceable "steel" QD sockets, and modular rather than perm rails up front like the KAC. Weight, Size, Feel is comparable to the other non railed tube handguards on the market.

http://www.USAmade-AR15parts.com/AR-15-handguard-p/ultrax.htm

TomMcC
10-20-12, 22:43
Another nice tube handguard is made by Apex.

apexcncshop
10-20-12, 22:44
I am obviously biased, but these also cover the sling attachment point without adding another part.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2611

shattuck
10-20-12, 22:55
You have a lot of good options.

KAC URX-3.1
Troy Alpha
Daniel Defense MFR
Noveske NSR

Any of those are good. Though I'm partial to KAC, or Troy.

Me love KAC URX-3.1 long time...

2nd.amendment
10-21-12, 01:12
The troy Alpha was my favorite. The ease of the installation and the superb ergonomics make this handguard a winner. The alpha really shines when you use IWC's mount-n-slot accessories and avoid the add-on rails entirely. Never had my alpha shift. I have read about the old extreme shifting. Never heard or read about the alpha shifting.

The Noveske NSR is simply awesome. The key mod accessories are slick and easy to install. It is my new favorite, but I do still love the Troy Alpha.

I agree with this. Several Troy Alphas and NSRs with no issues at all. I like Noveske's QD socket for the Troy.

One other option that hasn't been mentioned is the Wilson Combat TRIM rail. I haven't used them myself, but wanted to try one out before the NSR came along.

eperk
10-21-12, 09:14
I just replaced my quad rail with an MI Gen II 13" free float and love it. The smaller diameter is perfect.

RogerinTPA
10-21-12, 10:38
I guess I'm still on the fence as far as the heat factor in the tube type hand guards. I am heavily invested, with years of use, on the DD lite rails, which I really have had no issues with. I am seriously considering the NSR for a future build though.

uwe1
10-21-12, 13:02
My experience is with a 11" TRX Extreme, a 13" TRX Extreme, and one DD 12" MFR. I prefer the slimmer profile of the Troy tubes.

The one with the most mileage on it is the 11" TRX Extreme and I haven't had any problems with it. There is no denying that there is a little bit of flex in it, but that isn't a big factor with what I use it for.

It is a great option for those who just want to attach a front BUIS, mounted light, and VFG. There generally hasn't been any issue with heat because the tube is well vented and there is a lot of surface area. The only time I've had minor discomfort holding the handguard with my bare hands is after three magazines fired in a short period of time.

The DD MFR is definitely more solid and has a slightly larger diameter. The one thing I noticed was that the handguard heats up a lot faster. The way that it is machined, it has much less surface area than the Troy TRX/E tubes.

mkmckinley
10-21-12, 13:05
What reports of Troy rails shifting are you talking about? Were they torqued properly? I have several Troy Alpha rails and they've been rock solid. I like the profile and the Squid grips they sell are cool and help with heat. I haven't found heat to be a problem.

I've installed an Apex rail as well and it's an excellent rail in terms of design and quality. I like the grip texture on it as well.

The NSR rails are very cool but the down side for me is the proprietary barrel nut and accessory mounting system. I like to keep all of my carbines set up with as much parts commonality and standardization as possible so I stick with Alpha rails that use a standard barrel nut and all use the same rail sections. I could be wrong but I think the NSR needs a special upper receiver with a hole for the anti rotation pin.

2nd.amendment
10-21-12, 14:57
I guess I'm still on the fence as far as the heat factor in the tube type hand guards. I am heavily invested, with years of use, on the DD lite rails, which I really have had no issues with. I am seriously considering the NSR for a future build though.

I prefer the look of quad rails, but after trying the Troy Alpha, I prefer the smaller profile. It just more comfortable and quicker for me to get on and stay on target. I like the NSR rails even more than the Troys. No issues with heat in my experience, but I wear gloves most of the time. I also really like the NSR rail panels and the built in hand stops.

The NSR does not REQUIRE a special upper, but it is an option. I don't see anyone loosening one with standard usage - unless you commonly loosen a standard barrel nut without tools.

308sako
10-21-12, 15:51
My 2 are both Apex Machine... best feel best grip, all the attachment points you could want and built in QD sling points.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/115inchSBR.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/RockPebble.jpg

Casull
10-21-12, 16:55
To me there's a bit of difference between a modular rail system and a tube handguard when I start my thought process, but I have found myself attracted to the Wilson Combat T.R.I.M.

I bring it up only because it looks like no one has.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/tr-trim-14.jpg

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-138/productinfo/TR-TRIM-14/

They come in 7.6", 10.4", 12.6", and 13.8"

JBecker 72
10-21-12, 17:27
Well, I was gonna look at some more options in the tube handguard category, but today I wound up buying something. I sold a shotgun to a guy and the shop we met at happens to be a KAC dealer. They had a URX III rail in stock, I checked it out and compared it to a Troy extreme rail they had on a rifle there as well as a few other Daniel Defense quad rails and wound up choosing the KAC. It is so much nicer in person than the pictures lead you to believe.

I will be obviously changing my light option for this upper, so I think getting another M300 and running it with a gear sector or Larue mount with the clicky tailcap will be the ticket.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Gear/IMAG0308.jpg
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

wahoo95
10-21-12, 17:59
The heat shield is a nice touch by KAC

BrigandTwoFour
10-21-12, 18:01
Another user of a Rainier/Samson evolution rail. It feels great in the hand and has been very stable with bipod and sandbag use. It feels super lightweight as well. Heat has not been an issue for me, though the rifle it sits on is my interpretation of a recce and does not see that much rapid fire use. I really like that it uses the standard AR15 barrel nut over some other propriety nut.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NJiIRYnp9v8/UDrtSqvJfrI/AAAAAAAAAfU/EUY1gvaIrqY/s868/DSC_0003.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6xf5ek96EAo/UDrtSrkOz9I/AAAAAAAAAfY/4GIWJBeGqms/s868/DSC_0015.JPG

Those were from the day I installed it and function checked (hence no BUIS). It has seen a lot of not go gentle handling since with no hiccups.

Magic_Salad0892
10-21-12, 18:33
Well, I was gonna look at some more options in the tube handguard category, but today I wound up buying something. I sold a shotgun to a guy and the shop we met at happens to be a KAC dealer. They had a URX III rail in stock, I checked it out and compared it to a Troy extreme rail they had on a rifle there as well as a few other Daniel Defense quad rails and wound up choosing the KAC. It is so much nicer in person than the pictures lead you to believe.

I will be obviously changing my light option for this upper, so I think getting another M300 and running it with a gear sector or Larue mount with the clicky tailcap will be the ticket.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Gear/IMAG0308.jpg

You have chosen... wisely...

DeftwillP
10-22-12, 14:28
I've been considering the troy alpha or MI SS gen 2. Would either of these be stable enough for those that combine thumb over bore methodology with a handy sling style? I use the Ares amentum slider sling with the connection point on the support side all the way forward on my dd 12 lite rail. It works great but I'm just wanting to transition to something lighter and slimmer.

mpom
10-22-12, 19:05
Deft,

I run the same sling attached at same location as you, on a rainier arms evo hand guard. Slim profile and triangular holes everywhere make thumb over grip feel very natural and stable. Cannot comment on mi or alpha. That sling is so under rated, yet great!

Mark

Inkslinger
10-22-12, 19:29
I'll chime in for the EVO. I'm liking it very much. Rock solid, easy install, and nice price. One thing to keep in mind with the EVO, the Samson version allows you to mount rail sections in 45 degree offsets. The Rainier version does not.

HaydenB
10-22-12, 21:10
In my opinion the NSR is the best for the following reasons: They are the slimmest, the lightest, most versatile, and they are strong as hell.

And they are the only ones I know of that have direct mounted rail panels.

JBecker 72
10-22-12, 21:34
I had given a lot of thought to that rail but didn't get to handle one. I think what won me out on he URX III was the front sight integration and the heat shield.

sadmin
10-22-12, 22:05
I'm a URX3 convert myself; it feels great in the hand. I only added rail sections on the sides and left the bottom bare; when I did an 84 round dump I could still hold the rail comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk; coherency may be in jeopardy.

Fail-Safe
10-23-12, 14:07
Any experiences with the JP V-Tac tube?

David Thomas
10-23-12, 14:45

I have used the Gen 1 and the Gen 2. I still have a 16" midlength with a Gen 2 JP/Vtac rail. I still love it (Once again, I use IWC Mount-n-slot acc. and have no rails on it other than the one at 12 o'clock.)

The advantage of a Troy alpha over the JP is the ease of assembly. The JP is a bit fatter, but still a very nice option.

rackham1
10-23-12, 15:01

Yes, had one and liked it well enough. Can't really speak to the weight and durability aspects though... at the time I was only concerned with free floating a psuedo-precision rifle.

But try one out before you commit, if you can. The tube itself attaches to an "outer nut" that needs to be red-loctited to the upper receiver. I wanted to try something else on that rifle and then found out that removing that nut is more of a PITA than I'll care to do again. I sold it off.

bruin
10-23-12, 15:21
Like many here, I like the Rainier Evolution.

It's a great value at around $175 including a QD socket. It uses a standard barrel nut and mounts rock solid when installed correctly. The tube diameter is "just right" - wide enough to take any low pro gas block and most suppressors, and provides a good grip for medium sized hands without the need for panels. At 11oz it actually weighs less than a Magpul MOE rifle handguard.

Other tubular handguards are lighter, thinner, etc. but I haven't found one that beats the Rainier Evo for all-around versatility and value.

bruin
10-23-12, 15:23
One thing to keep in mind with the EVO, the Samson version allows you to mount rail sections in 45 degree offsets. The Rainier version does not.I mount my QD socket at 45deg... takes some work to line up but it can be done.

Dlo250
10-26-12, 17:13

Subjective as hell bc of different hand sizes, but I can grip all the way around my Troy alpha rail. Love it. Debating squid grips.