PDA

View Full Version : 50 meters vs 50 yards

Djstorm100
10-21-12, 08:05
I've search for a while now and keep finding infor on 50yard zero.

IF someone zeros their rifle to 50 meters would it be the same as 50 yard/200m zero? When I say the same, what I mean is only being off POA/POI by 2 inches. I got in a hurry yesterday and zeroed my rifle for 50 meters an dot 50 yards. I'm trying to figure out if I need to re-zero it for 50 yards.

Also what is the max range for the 50yd/200mm zero? I've read on here that it is effective up to 250 yards? (bullet dropping 2 inches below line of sight)?

Arctic1
10-21-12, 08:36
What kind of rifle/optic and what kind of ammo are you shooting?

Djstorm100
10-21-12, 08:40
What kind of rifle/optic and what kind of ammo are you shooting?

just irons

16 inch barrel

AE .223

sboza
10-21-12, 09:02

IF someone zeros their rifle to 50 meters would it be the same as 50 yard/200m zero? When I say the same, what I mean is only being off POA/POI by 2 inches. I got in a hurry yesterday and zeroed my rifle for 50 meters an dot 50 yards. I'm trying to figure out if I need to re-zero it for 50 yards.

Also what is the max range for the 50yd/200mm zero? I've read on here that it is effective up to 250 meters? How much bullet drop is it from 200/250?

Depending on your purpose, the difference won't be too dramatic. That said, I believe strongly in confirming zeros. That is why I stay away from the 50/200. It's not always easy finding a range suitable to confirm at 200 meters and wind can actually play a slightly more significant role at that distance. I prefer a 100 yard zero.

Answering the rest of your question is up to you. No one on the Internet can find out for you how your poi will vary at different distances. The charts only give approximations. You actually have to shoot your rifle at various distances to determine your hold overs/unders unique for your gun, ammo, eyes, etc...

As for the effective range of a zero? You may need to do a bit more studying on this board. With the proper hold over, you are only limited to the effective range of the cartridge you are shooting.

The required level of knowledge of your zero and holds is dependent on your need. For example, the average homeowner will rarely ever find himself shooting more than 25 yards in self defense. If for shtf or any other reason, you want to increase your knowledge of your zero/holds, print a chart of approx holds for your zero, get off of your ass, and determine that for yourself. There is no easy way out.

Edited to remove a sentence which may inadvertently be perceived as rude.

CAR-AR-M16
10-21-12, 09:38
50 yards = 45.72 meters. I doubt it would make much difference.

wahoo95
10-21-12, 09:39

Also what is the max range for the 50yd/200mm zero? I've read on here that it is effective up to 250 yards? (bullet dropping 2 inches below line of sight)?

It will close enough to not make any difference. Don't put too much overthought into this before your class next month as it will all be explained then.

Arctic1
10-21-12, 10:14
Depending on your purpose, the difference won't be too dramatic.

Basically this.

I was going to work out some numbers and provide some charts, but my preferred ballistics calculator isn't working.

ST911
10-21-12, 10:14
just irons

16 inch barrel

AE .223

You will not be able to visually discern the ~1" difference between the zeros on target at distance. If you could, you will not be shooting with enough precision with irons at that distance to produce it intentionally and consistently.

Food for thought: Distance lines may be imprecisely measured. You are 1.5-2m tall. Your rifle is ~32-35" long. What is the effect of all those things, when stacked on each other?

Sum: Don't worry about it. Droves of people pace off their distances with notable margins of error due to difference in stride. They are still hitting effectively.

If you want to split the hairs, here are some handy tools:
External ballistic calculator: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi
Conversion tools: http://www.metric-conversions.org/

Jippo
10-21-12, 10:41
That said, I believe strongly in confirming zeros.

I have few times had to zero in at 25m as I had no alternative. I never trusted the rifle or considered it zeroed in until I had the opportunity to shoot "real" zero from a longer distance. I can understand shooting 25m zeros if you live on a boat, but on land I would never leave it to that.

Djstorm100
10-21-12, 15:17
Thanks guys, I assumed that 14 feet (I converted 50 meters to feet since we had 100 foot roll tape measure.) wouldn't make a different at all, just wanted to confirm.

I've got a class as Wahoo95 said just double/triple checking. I would hate to be "that" guy that holds up the class because of something stupid. I'm having ejecting issue and come to find out DD forgot to put in the black oring. I've had the rifle for a month if that, cleaned it once (when I got it).

Magic_Salad0892
10-21-12, 18:44
It shouldn't be too different, but you should still confirm it.

I zero at 100 meters.

Djstorm100
10-21-12, 18:51
It shouldn't be too different, but you should still confirm it.

I zero at 100 meters.

I will next weekend. I have 200 meter range at the house...granted I'm not good at shooting irons out that far, need more practice for sure.

wesessiah
10-22-12, 23:53
i agree with most of the above, especially with irons and task at hand. assuming the drop is within reason (given the 200-250 range you mentioned) the 65is foot difference between yards and meters at 200 wouldn't be very significant while zero'd at 50 meters.

davidjinks
10-23-12, 10:17
In case anyone is interested:

There are 3.280 feet in a meter.

wesessiah
10-23-12, 12:34
In case anyone is interested:

There are 3.280 feet in a meter.

guessing that was for me, i meant to type 56ish instead of "65is."

davidjinks
10-23-12, 13:13
No sir, not directed at anyone specifically.

I just put it out there in case anyone was wondering what the actual conversion was.

guessing that was for me, i meant to type 56ish instead of "65is."