PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield 9mm...this could be THE ONE.

Mossyrock
10-21-12, 10:03
On the day S&W announced the Shield, I saw one under the glass at a local Fun Shop. The guy behind the counter had never heard of it, and had no idea what it was. Looking at it then, I was very impressed with the small size and ergonomics. Resisting an impulse buy, I told the guy I would be back tomorrow. Big mistake. The gun sold ten minutes after I walked out the door, and I didn't see another one in the flesh for over six months. Needless today, I bought it, sight unseen, as soon as I was notified it was in.

Wow. This is an impressive little piece of machinery! Out of the box, the trigger is a little heavier than I like, but it is crisp, and if this is the new reset standard for the M&P line, they have it figured out. Reset is positive, and crisp. The mags, a seven and eight rounder, are a PITA to top off, but they are well made, and steel...not polymer. Very clever design...a semi-double stack. It takes some effort to seat a full mag on a closed slide, so be prepared to give it a good "whack" (yes, that is a technical term).

I was able to put a few rounds downrange at my Super Secret Scientific Test Facility (SSSTF for short), and confirm that this little beast goes "bang" when you pull the trigger, in more-or-less the right direction! Actually, it does MUCH better than that. The sights, out of the box, were dead on for 25 yards with Winchester 124gr NATO ball and 127gr Ranger +P+. Recoil was actually less than I expected, given the size of the platform and the slimness of the grip. I expected it to squirm around a bit, but it didn't, even when the gun and my hands were wet. Did I mention it was pissing down rain the whole time I was shooting? That was actually the reason for the abbreviated round count...I got tired of water running down the back of my neck. All told, I put 40 rounds of ball and 35 rounds of Ranger downrange with zero malfunctions.

Highlight of the day? Going five rounds for six on a ten inch gong at 40 yards. I can't gripe about that at ALL. Frankly, the only thing I CAN gripe about are the sights. I don't like them. I put 10-8 sights with a brass bead front on my full-sized M&P9, and the sights on the Shield need some love. Looks like Brownells gets even more of my money.

After shooting this, I see it very quickly becoming my CCW once I get some decent leather/kydex for it. It is light, handy, accurate, and easy to shoot well. Fully loaded with the 8-round mag carried in reserve, that gives me 16 rounds on tap. If I can't solve any problem I get into with 16 rounds of 127gr Winchester +P+, odds are I wouldn't have been able to solve it with a handgun anyway. This not the gun you carry into a situation you know you are going to have problems with...that's with the AR and the Browning Auto-5 riot gun are for. This is the gun you carry for all of those other times when you hope you won't need it, but you are glad to have it. For that role, it may very well be perfect.

Kokopelli
10-21-12, 10:14
My experience pretty much mirrors yours. I've been carrying mine for three weeks now. I installed the XS bigdot sights and the APEX carry trigger kit and it's all good now. The only holster I could find was the DeSantis mini scabbard. Other than being a pita to put on the belt, it's nice. It carry's well and stays put.. Until I can pick up a custom snap type pancake, that's the deal.. Ron

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC09127.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC09044.jpg

Mossyrock
10-21-12, 10:34
What did the Apex kit do for you? My full-sized M&P9 has Apex guts, and it helped it quite a bit.

Kokopelli
10-21-12, 10:41
What did the Apex kit do for you? My full-sized M&P9 has Apex guts, and it helped it quite a bit.

It feels like it took 2-3#'s off the pull weight and cut the pull distance (movement from sear engagement to fire) in half. You have a little more takeup, but from the point of sear engagement it feels a lot like a single action trigger. The "boing" is gone, so to speak.. Ron

fowler
10-22-12, 05:50
After shooting the Berretta Nano I feel its a better micro-9 than anything else out there.

Hogsgunwild
10-22-12, 07:46
After shooting the Berretta Nano I feel its a better micro-9 than anything else out there.

Good. Enjoy it. My Rohrbaugh R9 is pocket carry-able where the Nano is not. The Shield allows the the slide to be released with the slide lock / release lever and it shoots like a full sized gun.

That Nano has zero purpose in my world.

TriviaMonster
10-22-12, 08:04
Winchester RA9TA is one heck of a way to break in a little gun. I have really been eyeing one of these.

I am glad to hear about it having a positive reset, that was one real beef of mine with the standard M&P's.

pakieser
10-22-12, 09:03
I really like the Shield. I got lucky and picked up a used one last week.

Before I bought mine, one of my instructors brought his to the range and I wrote up some first impressions:

QSI Training Blog - M&P Shield (http://qsifirearms.blogspot.com/2012/04/during-last-weekends-basic-defensive.html)

I pocket carried my Shield in a DeSantis Nemesis all day yesterday, and so far so good.

polymorpheous
10-22-12, 10:13
Excellent post OP!
Thank you.

Pay attention new members, this is how a "look at my new" thread should be.

Posts like this and the discussion that they spawn is what sets this board apart from the rest.

OP, how slim would you say the grip is compared to a G26?
Recoil comparable?
I'm glad to see that S&W is working out their trigger bugs.
I couldn't stand that mushy trigger and the lack of a positive reset.

jbo723
10-22-12, 10:54
Great review and I share the same sentiments as you in regards to the overall feel of the Shield. Prior to the shield, my EDC was either my G17/x300 or VTAC M&P but, haven't carried either of those since I picked up my Shield.

I bought mine a month after they were released and I was sold after I shot one the day they came out. A friend of mine happened to be i our LGS the day they arrived and he bought it on the spot. Since they have a range there, we took it for a test run and I was really surprised at how controlable it was for a Micro sized pistol.

Since then he installed the Apex kit and needless to say, one will find it's way into my Shield shortly.

The bad thing is that my wife absolutely loves the gun and she wants to take mine from me..LOL..Guess I'll just bite the bullet and get her another one for her.

Killjoy
10-22-12, 11:01
I bought one last week and immediately replaced the trigger with an Apex one. Put about 130 rounds through it of old winchester SXT and black talon with absolutely no issues of feeding. Recoil was very controllable, similar to a Glock 26-type pistol. I was able to shoot very well with it; 4-5 inch rapid fire groups at 7 yards, and able to ding steel plates at 25 yards without any issues. This is quite good for a "pocket" pistol.

As someone who carries off-duty constantly I really appreciate the slimness of the grip, its quite a bit less bulky than the standard glock-width pistols. I've been using a desantis mini-scabbard which fits the gun well, although the spare mag pouch is awful tight.

Have to say, I think Smith really has a winner with this one!

Steve S.
10-22-12, 12:40
Recoil comparable?

Not the OP, but I spent a lot of time driving a Shield, a G26, and a G19 over the summer.

The 26 is definitely beefier than the Shield. Not just the grip, but the slide profile. This means the Shield conceals better, but experiences more recoil / muzzle flip.

The trigger is a jump forward over old M&Ps. I am delighted that S&W made the change. Especially since your run of the mill gun purchaser will most likely prefer the OLD trigger (same reasons many beginning shooters don't like Glock triggers).

It has a much cleaner break. Reset is irrelevant, but it is more tactile if that matters to anyone. The trigger is a bit heavy for my taste, but its breaking in nicely - and APEX sear is always an option.

It's an incredibly accurate pistol. More so than the 26 based on my experiences. Not much needs done out of the box. I undercut the trigger guard and lightly textured its ridiculously slippery grip. I have no problems getting a full firing grip, though I have worried about getting muzzle burned on my support thumb. If you have large hands, you may need to modify your grip to play it safe.

The sights are nice. Black out the rear and add some bright paint or glow in the dark nail polish to the front, and it will get you by until more night sight options come to the market. If I'm able to, I will only be buying a front night sight. I find the rear more than adequate once blacked out.

The big debate is over the safety. I will say this : S&W (or any other manufacturer) would NOT have put this type of trigger in a "pocket pistol" if it didn't have that safety. So to me, I'd much rather deal with a safety than a crappy "pocket pistol" trigger like most every micro pistol has.

It's important to train with the safety ON, whether you carry with it off or not. I personally carry with it off 100% of the time. It is well located, and on mine is easy to disengage but harder to re-engage. I like this, and hope it is by design.

Overall, it's a great deep concealment pistol. Does it perform as well as a G26? No. But it's also much smaller.

I think it's important to point out that IMHO, the Shield should be a niche pistol. If you can carry something with more capacity, then do it. The Shield should compliment your G19/ M&Ps / PPQs / etc not replace them. But there are instances where many might have chosen not to carry based on situation, but the Shield solved that problem.

With that said, I do feel the Shield to be the rock bottom of a primary EDC gun as far as size and capacity. That means I am comfortable pressing it into my primary role. But again, I try and use a 19 or even 26 if I can pull it off. Life is all about compromises.

Finally, mags and ammo. I've shot some pretty hot loads without issue. I strongly recommend throwing away the magazine sleeve included with the extended mag. It's bad news. If the Shield is being used as a primary and not a BUG, seek out some mags and carry two or three. They are small enough to fit about anywhere. I like carrying two on my belt, and tucking another in my jeans coin pocket. I wish someone would make a high cap mag that is a double stack and tapers to a single stack, similar to the Surefire 60s.

The Shield is an IWB gun through and through. There isn't going to be a ton of advantage over an M&Pc or G26 if carried OWB in most holsters on the market. You need a good IWB to really take advantage of the slim width. I feel the same about the mags. The small Shield mags are perfect to carry IWB - which is generally uncomfortable for double stack mags. If anyone cares, the Shield WILL fit an M&Pc holster. It's not ideal and there is a lot of play, but it will get you by.

I'm very pleased with the Shield, and completely understand why S&W can't keep enough on the shelves. I'm very happy I bought one for production the day they were released. I honestly feel like a Glock 19 and a S&W Shield will do most everything anyone could want from carry pistols. I'm tempted to sell off my other pistols and keep just these two.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/23/qazenydy.jpg

Mossyrock
10-22-12, 14:33
Excellent post OP!
Thank you.

Pay attention new members, this is how a "look at my new" thread should be.

Posts like this and the discussion that they spawn is what sets this board apart from the rest.

Recoil comparable?

Thank you! Looks like some other folks answered regarding the G26. That's good, considering that while I have owned over a dozen Glocks, I have never owned a G26. Now that I have the Shield, I don't see me running out to buy a G26 any time soon.

polymorpheous
10-22-12, 14:40
Thanks for taking the time fellas.
:)

ARonBoard
10-22-12, 16:27
Great post.

I had a 9mm shield with Trijicon HD sights and it was a great package. The weapon is very easy to conceal. I was carrying IWB with a MIC holster but it will dissapear with almost any IWB.

However I sold it to pick up another G19. I have no problem with the width but I do miss the shorter magwell length of the shield. This may need to be alleviated via a grip chop or a G26. I felt I was missing extra capacity more than I needed the lack of length.

Otherwise it was a accurate and reliable weapon.

fowler
10-22-12, 18:56
The berretta Nano can handle +p all day its that strong . Not like the lesser Robarbs that have limited service life. As far as slide stops I don,t know any savy combat shooters that use them. They all sling shot the slide as I do on any automatic pistol from Sig to Colt to Glock. In the small 9mm's I prefer the G26 over all the lesser automatic 's that are flooding the market. The Nano is best in class in a single line 9mm that can really haul the mail.

rotorblade
10-22-12, 19:31
On the day S&W announced the Shield, I saw one under the glass at a local Funand if this is the new reset standard for the M&P............Very clever design...a semi-double stack. It takes some effort to seat a full mag on a closed slide, so be prepared to give it a good "whack" (yes, that is a technical term).
.........A, but you are glad to have it. For that role, it may very well be perfect.

I have the same problem. The 7 rounder only though. The 8 round mag is easy to seat on a closed slide. The 7 rounder I have to give it a good firm push I don't slap it I'm trying to baby mine I love it so much. But it has never accidentally released on me. And I pocket carry it without a holster.

nc_556
10-22-12, 20:04
The berretta Nano can handle +p all day its that strong . Not like the lesser Robarbs that have limited service life. As far as slide stops I don,t know any savy combat shooters that use them. They all sling shot the slide as I do on any automatic pistol from Sig to Colt to Glock. In the small 9mm's I prefer the G26 over all the lesser automatic 's that are flooding the market. The Nano is best in class in a single line 9mm that can really haul the mail.

This is a ridiculous statement. There are many high profile instructors that use and teach the use of the slide release. Larry Vickers is one of them. That should be a clue. Get off your Berretta Nano soapbox. If it is working for you that is great. More power to you. The Shield seems to fit the bill for most others. Derailing a good range report and discussion on a particular platform with an ignorant comment isn't constructive. I'm sure the Nano if a fine pistol but that isn't the point of this discussion.

Any serious SD carry gun worthy of a primary weapon role should have a slide stop/release. Otherwise it should be a backup only weapon. Your over compensating claims about the unimportance of a slide stop doesn't change that.

The Shield is interesting to so many because it can fulfill both roles adequately well.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

ryr8828
10-22-12, 20:08
The only reason I have considered the Nano is because the Shield seems to be unavailable into eternity.

nc_556
10-22-12, 20:19
The only reason I have considered the Nano is because the Shield seems to be unavailable into eternity.

I'm getting tired of being on a waiting list and have started to look for alternatives too. Was looking at a Nano, and the XDS. I'm not too fond of the XD line personally and there's a wait list for those too anyways. The Nano seemed ok, but didn't quite cut it for me as a primary (and only) ccw piece.

I might just go with an M&Pc or a G26. Especially after reading the feedback on the minor difference when carrying OWB. I'm carrying OWB, plus the added capacity wouldn't hurt either. Between these two it's six vs a half dozen but since I already have an M&P 9 FS the M&Pc would be good for consistency in training.

JB326
10-22-12, 20:26
I waited 6 weeks for my Shield, and I would have waited 6 more if need be. It has been worth every minute.

I held a Nano and it did nothing for me whatsoever. The Shield on the other hand carries very easily and shoots as well as my primary carry gun, a G19.

nc_556
10-22-12, 20:34
You guys definitely aren't making this easier for me!

Looks like I might have to get an M&Pc and use that UNTIL my Shield shows up. :)

Salamander
10-22-12, 23:27
I might just go with an M&Pc or a G26. Especially after reading the feedback on the minor difference when carrying OWB. I'm carrying OWB, plus the added capacity wouldn't hurt either. Between these two it's six vs a half dozen but since I already have an M&P 9 FS the M&Pc would be good for consistency in training.

I'm planning to pick up a Shield once they become a little easier to find (the California approved version hasn't officially hit the stores yet, although I'm told there have been a few early sightings). My G26 is fine most of the year, on the coast it's usually light jacket weather anyway. But when I need to go inland in the summer months it can get pretty warm, and the slimmer profile will make the Shield a whole lot easier to conceal in business attire.

But hey, if I've waited this long, what's a few more months, right?

sobiloff
10-24-12, 13:53
I'm planning to pick up a Shield once they become a little easier to find (the California approved version hasn't officially hit the stores yet, although I'm told there have been a few early sightings).

Don't you have an FFL07 near you? You can bring a non-CA version in as a single shot pistol and then convert it back. The loaded chamber indicator on the CA version looks horrible, IMHO.

CWM11B
10-24-12, 18:09
I don't post much here, just read a lot, but thought I would give an opinion based on my experience (so far) with the Shield platform. I do not own one yet, but have significant trigger time on them. I have fired five different specimens so far, four have been 9mm and one in 40 S&W. Two were off the shelf a couple of guys I work with got lucky enough to get when they first came out, two (the .40 was in this group) belonged to the National Sales Director for LE at Smith and Wesson, and the one I have in my possession now is the property of S&W on loan for T&E. That one came to me new in the box last Tuesday. I bought a RCS Phantom with two mag pouches for my evaluation period (because I needed a holster and will own one or two of these pistols.)

Every one of these guns displayed great accuracy. On demand headshots from the draw at ten yards were not difficult. I shot a modified version of LAV's "Test" with my T&E sample (9 rounds in nine seconds at 10 yards, all in the black on the prescribed B-8 target) with little difficulty. The day I got the gun I put about 500 rounds through it. To date, about fifteen guys have put rounds down range with it and the round count is over 1000. I have not cleaned or lubed it yet. It is as it came out of the box. All who have shot it have been impressed with the performance, accuracy and handling. Most are now on waiting lists at the LGS for one. I have fired near perfect scores on the NC BLET qualification course, as well as my agency course of fire. This gun handles like a full size as has been stated previously. An added bonus for me is the full sized M&P .40 is my issued weapon, and this has the same trigger, manual of arms and field strip procedure. The loads I have used so far have been Federal AE 147 grain ball, Blazer 147 ball and Speer Gold Dot, also 147 grain. I also put a few rounds of Winchester 147 JHP through it. The 147 GD has been very accurate in all of the 9mms I shot. To date I have not experienced a malfunction of any type with any of these loads.

I am not a big fan of the .40, but the Shield in that caliber was suprisingly controllable and just as accurate as the 9. If the .40 is your thing, I do not believe you will be unhappy with a Shield in this caliber. I think Smith hit it out of the park with this one. My rep told me the gun was in R&D for two years. I am eagerly waiting for factory night sights, but have had no issues with the standard issue ones. I was concerned initially about the Safety being unintentionally activated, but have not experienced it so far. It is well recessed and requires a pretty solid push to activate. I am happy with the platform and cannot wait to get my own. I ought to get a commision from Smith for the number I have sold for them!

Salamander
10-24-12, 22:31
Don't you have an FFL07 near you? You can bring a non-CA version in as a single shot pistol and then convert it back. The loaded chamber indicator on the CA version looks horrible, IMHO.

I'd consider that for a P30 or PPQ, since they're non-roster guns here and so are hard to get any other way. But the Shield will arrive eventually. Seriously, I'm past rushing out and waiting in line for the latest, because it only raises the stress level and there will always be one more newer and better after that. I can be patient.

Besides, it's rainy season. This time of year it's easy to conceal a M&P 45 :)

Hogsgunwild
10-25-12, 05:52

Wow, sorry I didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of a real "Operator" such as you. You must be an "Operator", right?. You are so obviously "switched on" and savy. Try reading this genius:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107271

Where are the facts to back up this "best in class" crap? Can you provide information to back this up or is it classified information, "For Mall Ninjas' Eyes Only"?

And if you can't even correctly spell the name of the gun that you are disparaging, perhaps you don't even know enough to be opening your pie-hole.

Do all operators carry Nanos?

polymorpheous
10-25-12, 07:51
Some of you new members need to chill with the attitude.
You are throwing around way too much noise in what could be a very informative thread.
Grow up, man up, and take that shit to PM.

maddy345
10-26-12, 20:51
I think you are right. I bought a DB9 to fit the compact single stack 9 but it has been plagued with light strikes. Might get traded on a shield.

tha101
10-27-12, 08:15
I've had my shield for about a week and love it. It will be in my rotation for my ccw along with the G19.

Mickey
10-27-12, 12:50
I'm a little bored today so I thought I would put together a few comparison photos of the shield.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/gunslinger171/IMG_1577-1.jpg

From left to right Glock 26 gen 3, S&W Shield, Glock 19 and Kimber compact(officer grip 4" Barrel)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/gunslinger171/IMG_1580-1.jpg
Glock 26 & Shield

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/gunslinger171/IMG_1583-1.jpg
Shield & J-frame.

BioLayne
10-30-12, 00:16
I'm about 300 rds in and really like my shield so far. I wear a lot of cargo shorts so for me I can carry it in pocket, but it is super comfortable IWB. Only issue I've had with mine is 2 times where the slide has failed to lock back after the final case ejects. hoping this is just an issue of breaking the gun in a bit more. But zero failure to feeds, jams, or failed ejections thus far. Wife also likes it which is a plus

ra2bach
10-30-12, 08:34
I'm about 300 rds in and really like my shield so far. I wear a lot of cargo shorts so for me I can carry it in pocket, but it is super comfortable IWB. Only issue I've had with mine is 2 times where the slide has failed to lock back after the final case ejects. hoping this is just an issue of breaking the gun in a bit more. But zero failure to feeds, jams, or failed ejections thus far. Wife also likes it which is a plus

my 7 rd mag will do this from time to time. the 8 rd has been 100% reliable so far. I'm going to get more rounds on the gun this week and if this keeps up I'll be contacting S&W about it...

shattuck
10-30-12, 08:53
As far as slide stops I don,t know any savy combat shooters that use them. They all sling shot the slide as I do on any automatic pistol from Sig to Colt to Glock.
I don't think this is an accurate statement .

Anyway. Love the m&p. proving to be a more reliable feeder than my Kahr pm9. Although that pm9 is soooo damn accurate it is scary, reliability is more important.

BioLayne
10-30-12, 09:15
my 7 rd mag will do this from time to time. the 8 rd has been 100% reliable so far. I'm going to get more rounds on the gun this week and if this keeps up I'll be contacting S&W about it...

i haven't been really documenting which mag it happens with, I will make note of it here on out. Thanks for the heads up.

Mossyrock
10-30-12, 10:46
Well, it would appear that I have run into the first snag with my Shield. I am trying to install Apex guts and a set of 10-8 sights, and I cannot get the factory sights to BUDGE. I've done this same operation on three other M&Ps, but this one flat takes the cake! I may have to drop it off at the local shop and have THEM beat the crap out of it.....:blink:

BioLayne
10-30-12, 10:55
yea, I just had night sites put on my shield and it was a bit more expensive than normal because they said that it's a bit of a pain in the ass to install.

skydivr
10-30-12, 11:12
My virgin post so please be gentle :) :

I've got the Shield in 9mm. I bought it because I wanted a CCW pistol with a little more punch than my S&W Bodyguard .380 (I know, admittedly a pea shooter, but the gun you carry is the gun you have, and it fits in my pocket without printing).

Because it's a pocket gun, I am a fan of the Bodyguard being single action (less likely to shoot yourself getting it out of your pocket with a round chambered and safety off), so I was a little dissapointed that the Shield is a striker fire (ala Glock).

The other comment I'd make/ask is that the angle of the grip seems to me to be a few degrees different than my Glocks, so TO ME it's not as natural (or trained) to point/shoot as a Glock. I probably just need more time with it. I think it's fine as a backup.

Jim D
10-30-12, 16:15
yea, I just had night sites put on my shield and it was a bit more expensive than normal because they said that it's a bit of a pain in the ass to install.

Don't expect them to last very long:http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1423971#post1423971

BioLayne
10-30-12, 16:31
Don't expect them to last very long:http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1423971#post1423971

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! welp guess I'll be saving the standard sights

WickedWillis
10-30-12, 16:49
Ive been carrying my Gen 3 Glock 26 now for nearly a year, and dont get me wrong I love the gun but its a tad fat for IWB carry. I recently started looking at the Shield and the Springfield XDS to maybe upgrade. How does the Shield shoot? Recoil? (im not sensitive to it but small 9's can be snappy) and just overall reliability? I am planning to shoot both this weekend.

Beat Trash
10-30-12, 18:57
Ive been carrying my Gen 3 Glock 26 now for nearly a year, and dont get me wrong I love the gun but its a tad fat for IWB carry. I recently started looking at the Shield and the Springfield XDS to maybe upgrade. How does the Shield shoot? Recoil? (im not sensitive to it but small 9's can be snappy) and just overall reliability? I am planning to shoot both this weekend.

I own both a Shield and a Glock 26.

The Shield shoots just fine. It's actually a bit more accurate than my Glock 26. I was shooting frangible training ammunition (not the most accurate ammunition I've used) and hitting 6" pie plate's at 25 yards, standing with my Shield.

The recoil of the Shield isn't any more noticeable to me than my M&P9c or my Glock 26.

As far as reliability, it's rather boring. You pull the trigger and the gun goes bang. Nothing to bitch about. Nothing to require aftermarket parts. Nothing that "needs" modification. Clean it, lube it, and shoot it.

Mine has become my BUG while at work.

Shoot one, I think you'll like it.

ra2bach
10-31-12, 20:43
i haven't been really documenting which mag it happens with, I will make note of it here on out. Thanks for the heads up.

well it's official - 8 out of 10 mags tonight would not lock back the slide. this was all the 7rd. mag. S&W will be betting a call from me tomorrow...

BioLayne
10-31-12, 20:53
well I think I figured out my problem, it wasn't the mags. I have really big hands and my right thumb was sitting against the slide lock. I wasn't pressing down against it, but I tried it just with my hand resting against it and it still stopped the slide from locking back. So I felt pretty sheepish about that LOL

sobiloff
11-01-12, 07:26
well I think I figured out my problem, it wasn't the mags. I have really big hands and my right thumb was sitting against the slide lock. I wasn't pressing down against it, but I tried it just with my hand resting against it and it still stopped the slide from locking back. So I felt pretty sheepish about that LOL

Yep, I noticed the same thing with mine; I have to modify my grip slightly to keep my thumb floating off the gun a bit to avoid this.

ra2bach
11-01-12, 11:10
huh... this never occurred to me. I'm left-handed but I bought this gun as a BUG so I carry and shoot it righty. and since I was looking for this malfunction, I never tested the 8 rd mag.

I'll hold off passing judgement till Friday when I can shoot it again and pay attention to these things...

carbinero
11-03-12, 16:58
For pocket carry and draw, how does the Shield's being 1/4 inch narrower trump its also being 1/2 inch taller, compared to a G26?

Mickey
11-03-12, 19:08
For me the height kills pocket carry for me.
It will carry OK but it is too tall to draw out of jeans pockets. I haven't tried it with cargo shorts or BDU's but I imagine it will still be to tall.

carbinero
11-03-12, 19:29
I was kinda thinking that. Glad I switched to BDUs for casual wear years ago! Still waiting for the next shipment of Shields...

BioLayne
11-03-12, 22:29
I can pocket carry mine no problem in cargo's as long as it's the regular magazine. Extended mag is a no go

Mossyrock
11-04-12, 13:28
Well, I finally got serious about replacing the sights and guts on this Shield. I STILL couldn't budge the rear sight, so I broke out the hacksaw, and cut the rear sight about 7/8 of the way through across the screw hole, relieving the tension against the sides of the dovetail. It came right out with a few taps.

I tore everything down and replaced the guts with Apex parts, an Ameri-glo rear sight, and a 10-8 Gold Dot front. Vast improvement on both the sights and the feel of the trigger!! Now all I have to do is get out to the range to see if the sights actually hit to point of aim.

GFan
11-04-12, 16:26
I would like to buy one but they are very tough to find right now.

Mossyrock
11-04-12, 18:29
I saw one "in the wild" for the first time in 6 months yesterday at a gunshow. The guy had $450 on it, and I was, frankly, amazed that it was still there.

ra2bach
11-05-12, 08:35

uh yeah, me too. good thing I saw this and tried it out before I called S&W. it never happened when I first got the gun and fired it left handed but when I dedicated it to right hand only, the problems started. I just didn't put two and two together and I thought it was a specific mag related problem.