PDA

View Full Version : Troy squid grips reports?

Littlelebowski
10-21-12, 15:11
I'd rather use these than gloves if they work. Lemme know if yours work.

firepolock
10-21-12, 16:50
Tag for future reports.

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

HeavyDuty
10-21-12, 19:19
Years ago when I got my first 13" TRX-E I tried talking to them into coming out with some kind of rail cover - and they treated me like I was a prime retard for wanting one. Their support manager insisted they "weren't needed" (his words.)

Funny how things change.

firepolock
10-21-12, 20:10
I'd rather use these than gloves if they work. Lemme know if yours work.

Id rather use gloves all the time. Will probably need gloves for other reasons besides weapon handling. This from a guy who hates gloves

ETA, but if the squid grips help handling, ill get a set

just a scout
10-21-12, 20:37
I have them on my AR. They fit the alpha rail perfectly, feel good in the hand. Little soft and squishy, don't let your hands slide without being tacky. I dumped a couple of mags fast after rezeroing, rail got warm but the grips let me hold on without gloves with no discomfort. I'm going to get another set to finish covering the alpha based on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zero Signal
10-21-12, 21:24
Good to know... I just ordered an alpha rail lastnight.. Gonna have to pick up a set or 2

chadil1ac
10-21-12, 23:27
I don't use gloves or the squid grips or whatever they are and have no issues. Man up! :D

ETA: If you are using them for more grip than a take back my comment. I have plenty of grip without them and I the Alpha doesn't hurt my hand when shooting either.

Littlelebowski
10-22-12, 07:42
I don't use gloves or the squid grips or whatever they are and have no issues. Man up! :D

ETA: If you are using them for more grip than a take back my comment. I have plenty of grip without them and I the Alpha doesn't hurt my hand when shooting either.

Do a coupla 1-5 drills during a class, continue shooting, and get back with us :D Or just take an F2S class.

markm
10-22-12, 07:53
Years ago when I got my first 13" TRX-E I tried talking to them into coming out with some kind of rail cover - and they treated me like I was a prime retard for wanting one. Their support manager insisted they "weren't needed" (his words.)

Funny how things change.

That's funny. I just can't take Troy serious at all.

firepolock
10-22-12, 08:45

Ive learned through my profession, fireman, to use gloves. May not be manly. But when you lose the function of your hands, your out of the game. Coming from an Alpha male.

ETA, back on track though. Thank you for those giving reports.

chadil1ac
10-22-12, 09:43
Do a coupla 1-5 drills during a class, continue shooting, and get back with us :D Or just take an F2S class.

Ok, it may not be til next spring. My training is over for the year as nobody likes to come around here in winter (Michigan)...bummer.

I'm not bashing, just poking fun. But I have gotten the rifle hot enough to need gloves just to hold the handguard. Does the squid grips help with the heat?

Littlelebowski
10-22-12, 09:48
Ok, it may not be til next spring. My training is over for the year as nobody likes to come around here in winter (Michigan)...bummer.

I'm not bashing, just poking fun. But I have gotten the rifle hot enough to need gloves just to hold the handguard. Does the squid grips help with the heat?

No worries. I'm trying to find out the same on your heat question.

I came very close to posting a gory picture on the pain tolerance jokes :D

firepolock
10-22-12, 10:27

Interesting. Wasnt thinking about heat management with the squids, only grip. Could be an added benefit.

I might giggle if you poke

bobsolla
10-22-12, 11:17
i purchased my squid grips from dick`s sporting goods store locally.i put them on my 300 blk. mainly for a low profile grip and as a protector of the rail when leaning or lying rifle on ground,bench,or trees.they seem to work well.i haven`t had any issues.not everyone is going to go full g.i. joe with their caliber weapon!i get the biggest laughs when i see the man up comments.as with any firearm i suggest wearing gloves as well as the other proper safety equipment for shooting.my opinion of the squid grips is they`re good to go!

TYPEII
10-22-12, 18:02
Great info fellows. I just picked up a complete Troy AR from Dicks's and was looking into the Squid grip. I'll probably get a set now...

seb5
10-22-12, 19:40
I've seen them but haven't tried them yet. I may try a set. I will add that I've ran 3 Troy/Vikings rails without issue. I have not attented a F2S class but have ran many drills and have used them at 3 Pat rogers classes and a Tricon class and have not needed them. I have no doubt you could heat them to the point you needed gloves but I also think it is a training scnario that would need them and not a real life need.

NeoNeanderthal
10-22-12, 20:06
Wishing they had a Vtac version (slots not holes) i'd be in.

hunt_ak
10-23-12, 07:58
That's funny. I just can't take Troy serious at all.

Is this due to your personal view on their rail systems (which I know you hate), or does this stem from other things?

Littlelebowski
10-23-12, 08:32
I've seen them but haven't tried them yet. I may try a set. I will add that I've ran 3 Troy/Vikings rails without issue. I have not attented a F2S class but have ran many drills and have used them at 3 Pat rogers classes and a Tricon class and have not needed them. I have no doubt you could heat them to the point you needed gloves but I also think it is a training scnario that would need them and not a real life need.

You know, I don't disagree with your final statement for civvies.

The rest, I will say that a F2S class will absolutely make you use gloves or adjust your grip with regards to heat. Tough, demanding, high round count class. I try to train as much as my work and family life allows and therefore I'll probably be trying out these squid grips.

http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2012/03/failure2stop-2-day-two-day-practical.html

goteron
10-23-12, 09:17
I am just putting 2 sets back in the mail to return to SKD, they increase the OD too much for me. They are designed well and fit well. They are soft, but too bulky. I like the TRX rails because of the size, and this negates it. Gloves for me.

I was going to shoot them at a VTAC Carbine 1.5 class in a few weeks, but I was too turned off by the size to bother.

eodinert
10-23-12, 09:57
I found them to be awesome... although I tempted to do the same with some grommets from McMaster-Carr.

firepolock
10-23-12, 11:10
I found them to be awesome... although I tempted to do the same with some grommets from McMaster-Carr.

What are those?

misanthropist
10-23-12, 12:30
McMaster Carr is just an industrial supplier of all kinds of hardware; if you bought grommets of an appropriate size and material there's no reason you couldn't fit them in to the holes on any given rail.

Whether it would be cost effective or not I couldn't say; it might end up costing you just as much and you wouldn't be guaranteed a fit, but then you could probably get them to fit any handguard at all, not just the Troy stuff.

goteron
10-23-12, 15:45
McMaster Part # 9600K27 is what I would look at if you wanted to try that route, but the squid grips have a curvature that mates with the OD of the rail for a nice flush fit.

firepolock
10-23-12, 20:49
From the few reports here, and the price. I may hafta pick up a set for my rail.

Dlo250
10-24-12, 14:35
How far out beyond the rail do they stick out? Are they relatively flush?

goteron
10-24-12, 14:36
I will measure a set tonight, but I would guess 1/8", so they change the diameter from 1.75 to 2" If you use them all of the way around.

Zero Signal
10-26-12, 14:50
Got my squid grips and Troy rail lastnight.. Thought the squiddys where a little slick... My hand was sliding on them

Dlo250
10-26-12, 19:16
I go back and forth on the grips. Since I can hold the rifle like in the picture, I don't really see the need for squids...

firepolock
11-14-12, 20:58
Well i bought a set. Pic explains where i put um. Put the extra row underneath starting at the lower receiver as an extra on hand. Will hopefully try um out this weekend or upcoming week. Will also remove the foward grip and see what its like just using the squids

EZar15
11-15-12, 16:50
Nice!!! definitely need a couple sets. My ring is grinding against the alpha rail whenever i pick up the rifle.
Thanks!

bobsolla
11-15-12, 17:02
mine seem fine and will protect the rails well enough.