PDA

View Full Version : Caracal Recall

Urban_Redneck
10-21-12, 18:15
I picked up my new C this morning, took it to a local steel shoot on the way home. Gent I know says.. "hey I just read there's a recall on those guns!" I thought it was just some good-natured ribbing ... then he swore it was true and said, "you gotta let me shoot it before you send it back!"

I'll send the email in a few minutes- my SAI marked F and Waffen Werks C are both on the list.

Ooofaa

With 3500 rounds including yesterday's VSM basic pistol class with Joe Riedy, I suppose my Fullsize could use a thorough strip and clean. That's me Mr Brightside.

CARACAL F AND C PISTOL SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

Caracal USA has determined a potential condition of the trigger unit in a very limited number of Caracal F and C pistols that could possibly allow the pistol to fire when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. Although Caracal USA has not received any reports of injuries, it is initiating this voluntary recall to protect the safety of its customers because of the remote possibility of an unintentional discharge occurring.

The affected Caracal pistols have serial numbers that begin with B, C, F, L, or M. If your pistol's serial number begins with one of these letters, please follow the following steps.

Only the Caracal F and C pistols with the serial numbers identified above are affected by this recall. If your pistol has a different serial number, it is not subject to the recall.

If you own a Caracal F or C pistol with a serial number identified as being affected by this recall, please do not load or fire your Caracal F or C pistol and contact us immediately to arrange to have the trigger unit replaced, completely free of charge, using the following steps:

Step 1 - Contact us at 205-655-7050 (Monday-Friday 8-5 Central Standard Time), or at info@caracal-usa.com and provide the model and serial number of your pistol.

Step 2 - After contacting us, we will send you a prepaid overnight shipping box with instructions so that you can return your pistol to us, free of charge.

Step 3 - Your firearm will be returned as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, and to thank you for your patience and cooperation, we will send you a free magazine when we return your pistol to you.

For more information, you may visit www.caracal-usa.com or call Caracal USA at 205-655-7050

currahee
10-21-12, 18:29
I never even heard of this gun until yesterday when someone was asking about it in this forum.

S. Galbraith
10-21-12, 18:34
I never even heard of this gun until yesterday when someone was asking about it in this forum.

A creation of ex Glock engineer Wilhelm Bubits. He left Glock and went to work for Steyr where he created the Steyr M-Series pistols. Those pistols also had the drop fire issue that the Caracal pistols are now experiencing. I haven't looked at the Caracal, but the Steyr was dependent on near perfect machining of the sear and striker assembly. The pistol was also dependent on a tight fit between the slide and frame to achieve this proper mating.

Urban_Redneck
10-21-12, 18:55
Apparently, there have been two reports of pistols discharging when dropped (one widely reported- concrete). It appears that Caracal is calling back everyone's pistol for a once over.

Free shipping both ways and a free mag are promised.

Plouffdude has a video up already :o

avengd7x
10-21-12, 21:05
Thanks for the update. both mine have serials that start with C

oef24
10-21-12, 21:34
Looks like mine are going back. Thanks for the update.

O

Hmac
10-21-12, 23:02
Made in United Arab Emirates?

avengd7x
10-21-12, 23:31
Made in United Arab Emirates?

they're really not that bad. I like the ergonomics and the design of the gun.

I just wish I could understand the rage behind the trigger. both of mine have no break... I pull back and there is no second stage. I can't find anyone that owns one to see if mine are just different, and none of the local shops around me carry them.

Gary1911A1
10-22-12, 08:52
Hope they don't ruin the nice smooth trigger pull when they get done with mine.

Omega Man
10-22-12, 10:53
Thanks for the update. both mine have serials that start with C

Same here. I called and am waiting on the prepaid shipping box.

Urban_Redneck
10-22-12, 11:24
Hope they don't ruin the nice smooth trigger pull when they get done with mine.

The C I picked up Sunday, is very smooth. My F is gritty in comparison. I was going to detail strip it this week, now I'll just put a note in the box and ask them to look at it.

I'd like to think they will fly in a tech or two from Germany to help with the work load and training. Handling this quickly and completely may turn a potentially messy situation into a marketing boost. Also, the aftermath of the recall will (hopefully) leave behind ramped up the service capabilities and supply pipeline at SAI much faster than if to grow "organically".

YMMV

Urban_Redneck
10-25-12, 05:31
CARACAL SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL UPDATE

As an update to our October 19, 2012 recall notice, Caracal USA wishes to advise its customers that it will take approximately 12 weeks before we receive upgraded part(s) and can schedule a date for you to return your pistol to Caracal USA for this product upgrade. We apologize in advance for this inconvenience. We will provide a "loyalty package" for any customer who agrees to wait for this upgrade. The "loyalty package" includes: a free pistol magazine, T-shirt, cap and a 15% discount on your next purchase of a Caracal product. If you are unwilling to wait for this upgrade, Caracal USA will refund the full purchase price of your pistol.

3 months brings us into January.... I'm going to hold on. Now I need to buy a better holster for my 1911.

DocH
10-25-12, 16:53
It appears they are trying to do the right thing for their customers.Wait time stinks,but is understandable.

Urban_Redneck
11-02-12, 09:35
Latest recall news

In addition to the free magazine, cap, and T-shirt, Caracal will install a fiber optic front sight for $29 when your pistol is in for service.

Perhaps there is a silver lining...

Urban_Redneck
11-02-12, 09:37
Latest recall news

In addition to the free magazine, cap, and T-shirt, Caracal will install a fiber optic front sight for $29 when your pistol is in for service.

Perhaps there is a silver lining...

Urban_Redneck
11-25-12, 17:26
Caracal Safety Warning and Recall Update
Nov 24, 2012 7:42:23 AM

As a further update to our October 19, 2012 recall notice, Caracal USA, LLC is advising its customers that it has determined that the production tolerances in the grip frames of a very limited number of Caracal F and C pistols could possibly cause these pistols to fire if dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber.

In an effort to minimize the inconvenience to our customers, Caracal USA, LLC will exchange all affected pistols with brand new ones to avoid the delay associated with repairing and returning the pistols.

Shipment of these new replacement pistols is expected to begin in late December 2012, and to be completed by January 2013. Shipment of the replacement pistols will be made in the order in which the pistols were returned to Caracal USA, LLC.

We again apologize for any inconvenience, but the safety of our customers is of the utmost importance to Caracal USA, LLC. If you have any questions, or for further information, please visit www.caracal-usa.com, or call Caracal USA, LLC at (205) 655-7050

A bit of a quandary for me as I'd like to keep my Waffen Werks marked compact. The trigger in my my SAI marked fullsize is a little gritty and I'm about due for a new RSA. a new pistol sounds good.