PDA

View Full Version : HK 45 compact question.....

MadAngler1
10-21-12, 22:07
Hi guys. I just got a HK 45 compact on a trade in I couldn't pass up. Anyhow, I'm a regular 1911 shooter and wanted to give it a try. It's about the same size as my commander length Nighthawk Talon II, but I find that the HK 45 compact could use a larger back strap, particularly in the lower part of the grip towards the magazine funnel. I currently have the medium "M" backstrap installed, and after searching several boards, it's apparent that HK has not made a large "L" backstrap for this gun yet. Any suggestions? Someone said use a Hogue "hand all" tactical grip sleeve, but I'm not sure what size to get (small or large). Has anyone tried this or does anyone have a different suggestion? I'm on the fence about keeping this gun right now.

It's definitely accurate, and I'm confident it will be far more durable than my Nighthawk could hope to be. These guns (HK pistols) rarely seem to break. However, before I spend a few hundred dollars to get a holster, more mags, a stippling or serration job, and a possible Bruce Gray trigger job, I need to make sure this thing fits my hand appropriately. It's not so much during slow fire. It becomes apparent when I tested myself on the timer from low ready position doing drills. I even did a few El Presidentes. My Glock 17 and 5" Wilson were a lot more comfortable, and it's because the HK 45 compact can bob in my hand on occasion. I'm sure the higher center of mass on the gun (compared to a 1911 or Glock), does not help matters any. I could always use this gun as a trade in for a SCAR 17, but I rather not do that if I can help it.

Thoughts? Thanks :)

Gary1911A1
10-22-12, 08:55
I don't know, but I bet one of the "plastic pistolsmiths" like Dave Bowie could add plastic material to your backstrap.

GJM
10-22-12, 12:25
My Glock 17 and 5" Wilson were a lot more comfortable, and it's because the HK 45 compact can bob in my hand on occasion. I'm sure the higher center of mass on the gun (compared to a 1911 or Glock), does not help matters any.)

Perhaps try one of the 45C 10 round magazines with the built up base plate which may help you get more of your hands on the pistol.

MadAngler1
10-22-12, 16:03
Perhaps try one of the 45C 10 round magazines with the built up base plate which may help you get more of your hands on the pistol.

True, and I've held the tactical version (threaded barrel + 10 rd mag) of this pistol and found that it felt a little better. However, that sort of defeats the point. For right now, I would use this gun for conceal carry as a replacement for my commander length 1911. With the 8 round mag, it's nearly the same size as my commander length 1911, and almost the same width.

GJM
10-22-12, 16:27
Wasn't a carry suggestion, but to allow you to feel how the pistol is with the lower part of the grip increased in size by the 10 round magazine's extension.

I feel the 45C is a lot like the P2000 in grip shape and size, where the P30/HK45 are closer. I shoot both the P30 and HK45 better than their P2000/45C cousins because of the length and shape of the grip.

MadAngler1
10-23-12, 16:59
Wasn't a carry suggestion, but to allow you to feel how the pistol is with the lower part of the grip increased in size by the 10 round magazine's extension.

I feel the 45C is a lot like the P2000 in grip shape and size, where the P30/HK45 are closer. I shoot both the P30 and HK45 better than their P2000/45C cousins because of the length and shape of the grip.

I agree with your comments regarding the HK45. One of my best friends owns one, and the grip works much better for me during recoil. The problem is I would have to replace the magazine release with a smaller one to make it work for my hands (I tend to hit the mag release with my trigger finger during recoil on the full size models), and I already have a 5" 1911. I really wanted the compact for conceal carry use, and eventually, I was planning on buying a tactical barrel for suppressed use.