PDA

View Full Version : 2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee...Wrangler?

Wake27
10-21-12, 22:50
I have yet to test drive one but that should come around Thanksgiving. I love the look of the and all of the features available. Anyone here besides los have one? Figured I'd ask opinions.

My parents loved theirs when they had one ~2000. I have a 3 series BMW which I still absolutely love driving after about 5 years, but I really need something with 4WD and more cargo space, mostly do to shooting and the Army.

500grains
10-22-12, 08:13
My neighbor has a 2000 GC with 100K mi. It looks good but is a POS. Maybe their QC improved since then. Also, it gets bad mileage 14.

sammage
10-22-12, 08:38
The only people I know who are happy with any recent production GCs have SRT8s. GC build quality has always been spotty compared to the Cherokee.

C-grunt
10-22-12, 09:31
My parents loved theirs when they had one ~2000. I have a 3 series BMW which I still absolutely love driving after about 5 years, but I really need something with 4WD and more cargo space, mostly do to shooting and the Army.

Subaru?

chadbag
10-22-12, 11:10
Subaru?

Or Dodge Mega Cab ;) Like an SUV in the back in terms of space (with the seats folded down) plus you got a short bed if you need more space. But the mileage sucks. Mine has been good, quality wise, but it is a US union made Chrysler...

----

ra2bach
10-22-12, 11:13
I have a '12 overland with 3.6l engine. this is my 5th jeep to include CJ, Cherokee, and GC. I even grew up riding around in a '58 Willy's jeep. this is the best of the bunch.

it's comfortable, luxurious, gets 18 mpg around town and 24 on trips with 4 people and luggage, has done well in some simple off-road trails and is very capable as a grocery getter.

10-22-12, 12:22
Have a '12 GC w/the 5.7L. Has been excellent so far. All the bells and whistles. Don't like that it is electronically governed at 110mph.:D

DeltaSierra
10-22-12, 12:36
Subaru?

Subaru

Honda CRV

Toyota 4Runner

Any of those would be better options than a Jeep, at this point in time.

The Jeep might be nice now, but get back to me when it is 16 years old, with over 200k miles on it.... wait, it'll have been sitting in a junkyard for years at that point...

There are some issues with the quality of steel that Jeep had been using in their frames of late - I personally saw a two or three year old Jeep that had rusted so badly that the front axle decided to relocate itself while said Jeep was traveling down the road...

If I were in the market for a different vehicle, I'd be looking very hard at the Honda CRV - all wheel drive, lots of cargo space, excellent gas milage, etc. While I haven't owned a CVR, a friend of mine had one, and I couldn't say enough good about that vehicle.

Wake27
10-22-12, 12:51
Have a '12 GC w/the 5.7L. Has been excellent so far. All the bells and whistles. Don't like that it is electronically governed at 110mph.:D

How's it drive at those speeds?

I know a CRV or something might be more practical, but I want something that has a lot of features and that I'm proud to say I drive. A CRV would not fall into that category for me...

10-22-12, 13:07
Drives well at high speed. Ride height is automatically adjusted for speed so sits lower than if cruising around town. I've spent many miles at 90mph+ with no worries. But, considering I was born and raised in the heart of NASCAR country, I tend to drive fast.:p

Now that I live out west, with the open roads, tendency to drive fast has been heightened.;)

Wake27
10-22-12, 13:37
Drives well at high speed. Ride height is automatically adjusted for speed so sits lower than if cruising around town. I've spent many miles at 90mph+ with no worries. But, considering I was born and raised in the heart of NASCAR country, I tend to drive fast.:p

Now that I live out west, with the open roads, tendency to drive fast has been heightened.;)

I like that... Do you know what they call that feature? I don't remember seeing anything like that on their page.

ETA: Nevermind, I found it. Me gusta...

Wake27
07-24-13, 22:27
Bumping for any more opinions. I'm pretty set on one of these unless there is something major that I'missing. I don't need it to last 10+ years and 150k miles, I'll have found something else I really want by then. I'm hoping to score a good deal on a 2012 or 2013 Limited since the '14s are out now.

C-grunt
07-25-13, 00:06
They have the diesel out now in the GC. 20+mpg city 30mpg highway and 420 lbft of torque.

Wake27
07-25-13, 00:09
They have the diesel out now in the GC. 20+mpg city 30mpg highway and 420 lbft of torque.

I noticed that, my only worry is that since its an LCI update, there are some kinks that need to be worked out. From just browsing over on jeepforum that definitely seems to be the case. Plus that'd be way out of my price range. I've always been one for all of the extra bells and whistles but am seriously considering something very plain. I love the extra stuff but I hate having vehicle packages because they always include a bunch of stuff I don't want but have to buy in order to get the few things I do. Plus, it's just more stuff that will break and makes it a lot more difficult to do much personal customization. The bimmer has definitely taught me those last few points. And so did my Noveske.

C-grunt
07-25-13, 00:44
I noticed that, my only worry is that since its an LCI update, there are some kinks that need to be worked out. From just browsing over on jeepforum that definitely seems to be the case. Plus that'd be way out of my price range. I've always been one for all of the extra bells and whistles but am seriously considering something very plain. I love the extra stuff but I hate having vehicle packages because they always include a bunch of stuff I don't want but have to buy in order to get the few things I do. Plus, it's just more stuff that will break and makes it a lot more difficult to do much personal customization. The bimmer has definitely taught me those last few points. And so did my Noveske.

MY boss has the new 3.6 in his Wrangler and it a stout motor with good power and decent mileage as well. Can you get the GC without the air suspension?

Wake27
07-25-13, 01:26
MY boss has the new 3.6 in his Wrangler and it a stout motor with good power and decent mileage as well. Can you get the GC without the air suspension?

Yeah you can. I don't think its even available until the Limited models. I want to test drive a Wrangler Unlimited too. I rode in my friends a week or so ago and wasn't crazy about it, but his was very different from what I'd get.

ra2bach
07-25-13, 12:09
Bumping for any more opinions. I'm pretty set on one of these unless there is something major that I'missing. I don't need it to last 10+ years and 150k miles, I'll have found something else I really want by then. I'm hoping to score a good deal on a 2012 or 2013 Limited since the '14s are out now.

I have the '12 GC Overland edition and it rides better than my wife's mercedes. it's very luxurious and comfortable and is getting just over 25 mpg on trips loaded up. when comparing this with it's competition like the Honda and GMC offerings, even the Ford Exploder, there was no comparison t what you get for the same money. always been a jeep guy, always will..

like most jeep owners I didn't/don't buy it with primarily 4-wheeling in mind, though in the light applications I've had it in (deep sand at the beach and steep muddy rocky trail), it never even let me know the 4x4 was working it was so competent. I suspect with better tires it would do anything I ask of it.

I still have my '02 GC Laredo and it has not been trouble free but the body and interior are still in fantastic shape. this has the 6 cylinder with Selectrac transmission in it and it has been run hard over 4 wheel tracks and it's never gotten stuck or given cause for alarm. I understand the 4x4 system on the new one is more capable than this...

ra2bach
07-25-13, 12:14

it also has an 7400lb tow rating, my 3.6 is rated at 5000.

I buy my cars new at dealer invoice, add the extended warranty, pay them off in 3 years and drive them for 10 years. once my boys get out of college, I'll be ready for a new one and by then the diesel should be all it can be... :D

bzdog
07-26-13, 14:04
Check out:

http://wk2jeeps.com/
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/

-john

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-26-13, 18:40
They put that diesel in the Rubicon unlimited and you got me for another one.

Right now I am driving an 02, GC Laredo, I got it in 03 with 25k on it. Had very, very few issues with it at all. Its the WJ model with the I6 motor and solid front axle 180k on both running strong, last year for both of them.

I installed brakes and rotors a few times, a new muffler at about 160k, Transmission sensor, wheel hub sensor/bearing, left upper and lower ball joints, just did the brakes, rotor's. parking brake and calipers last week.

Just started to rust and that says a lot, as I live in NY and salt is
practically free here. Had it paid off since 05, and I cant be more pleased! I have plans for new shocks, springs, track bar and a roof rack in the next year.

I will buy another jeep if I have to but I dont want to get rid of this one. If the motor goes I have a 4bt swap in mind.

bzdog
07-26-13, 19:14
They put that diesel in the Rubicon unlimited and you got me for another one.

Seems likely, but not till the next redesign due around '15.

-john

C-grunt
07-26-13, 19:41
They've had the diesel Wrangler overseas for a while now. There are some spy photos on the net of a couple new diesel Wrangler test mules driving around Detroit.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-27-13, 13:00
Seems likely, but not till the next redesign due around '15.

-john

SUCKS! 4BT swaps are always an option, but not until I can get a wrangle unlimited that has some miles on t, the price comes down to a more reasonable level.

Eurodriver
07-27-13, 14:30
I miss my wrangler a lot. It was a 5 speed 4cyl TJ. With 33" tires it was a bit of a drag on the highway and gas mileage was pretty horrible.

http://i42.tinypic.com/1177m9s.jpg

I didn't have any problems with it until I went overseas and let my user dad "hold it". It really sold me on Jeep's reliability. But After he had it for ONE YEAR it was so trashed I didn't even take it back. Now I'm only comfortable above 130 MPH in German luxury.

I've been leaning toward the Grand Cherokees though for comfort and ability. I don't like being limited when roads are flooded or have debris like I am in a Benz. They're just so damn expensive. How I'm gonna spend $56,000 on a Jeep GC when I can buy a Land Rover for $60,000?

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-27-13, 20:21
I miss my wrangler a lot. It was a 5 speed 4cyl TJ. With 33" tires it was a bit of a drag on the highway and gas mileage was pretty horrible.

http://i42.tinypic.com/1177m9s.jpg

I didn't have any problems with it until I went overseas and let my user dad "hold it". It really sold me on Jeep's reliability. But After he had it for ONE YEAR it was so trashed I didn't even take it back. Now I'm only comfortable above 130 MPH in German luxury.

I've been leaning toward the Grand Cherokees though for comfort and ability. I don't like being limited when roads are flooded or have debris like I am in a Benz. They're just so damn expensive. How I'm gonna spend $56,000 on a Jeep GC when I can buy a Land Rover for $60,000?

Have you seen what a LR goes for when its been used for a few years? You have to ask yourself WHY? New cars are for suckers :D

Eurodriver
07-27-13, 20:37
Have you seen what a LR goes for when its been used for a few years? You have to ask yourself WHY? New cars are for suckers :D

You got that right!

Whenever I drive by a stealer ship I'm amazed to see hundreds and hundreds of cars (alongside several other dealers with hundreds of cars), all brand new and I'm thinking...there's no way in hell all those new cars are being bought by people with money or the reasoning ability to realize they're getting screwed. Then I meet the 20 year old hooters girl going "look at my brand new Chevy Malibu!! Its only $499 for 84 months!!!"

:-/

Wake27
07-27-13, 22:29
Now I'm only comfortable above 130 MPH in German luxury.

I've been leaning toward the Grand Cherokees though for comfort and ability. I don't like being limited when roads are flooded or have debris like I am in a Benz. They're just so damn expensive.

I know what you mean, on both...

Belmont31R
07-27-13, 22:35
Jeep reliability is crappy. They are towards the back of the pack for several years running. My parents bought a 2005 Liberty Limited and gave it to us in 2008. Was a total pos. when we traded it in it had both back windows duck taped up and it had at least 6 trips to the dealership for warranty claims. I even once got pulled over 4 times in less than an hour because it had electrical problems and sometimes the tail lights would come on sometimes not. My parents spent at least 2 grand on that and the fixes would last a month and then the same shit would come back. Before we got it the entire computer had to be replaced.

The only Chrysler family I would come close to buying is the Ram branded trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wake27
07-27-13, 22:38
Jeep reliability is crappy. They are towards the back of the pack for several years running. My parents bought a 2005 Liberty Limited and gave it to us in 2008. Was a total pos. when we traded it in it had both back windows duck taped up and it had at least 6 trips to the dealership for warranty claims. I even once got pulled over 4 times in less than an hour because it had electrical problems and sometimes the tail lights would come on sometimes not. My parents spent at least 2 grand on that and the fixes would last a month and then the same shit would come back. Before we got it the entire computer had to be replaced.

The only Chrysler family I would come close to buying is the Ram branded trucks.

Wow, I've never heard anything like that. How many miles did it have on it? And did you try taking it to different shops to get it fixed?

Wake27
08-25-13, 00:08
Test drove a Wranler tonight. Nothing crazy, 2013 Unlimited Sport S. I was friggin impressed with the way it drove. Still am kinda. I loved it and know the Wranglers are super popular. I love the versatility of them too. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is their safety ratings. They don't do so hot in impact tests. Any fans on here?

C-grunt
08-25-13, 11:02
Test drove a Wranler tonight. Nothing crazy, 2013 Unlimited Sport S. I was friggin impressed with the way it drove. Still am kinda. I loved it and know the Wranglers are super popular. I love the versatility of them too. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is their safety ratings. They don't do so hot in impact tests. Any fans on here?

My boss has a 2011 2 door and he is very impressed with the new drivetrain. This is his 3rd or 4th Jeep and he said its the best one he has owned.

MistWolf
08-25-13, 13:57
The Wrangler is the most capable off-road vehicle straight off the showroom floor there is and the Rubicon version with 4:11 gears, lockers front & rear and the 4:1 transfer case is even better. Its solid axles and four link coil spring suspension are stronger, more durable and easier and cheaper to maintain and lift than any independent suspension.

Some folks find other rigs smoother on the highway but that's not what Jeeps are for. This is a Cherokee, but the suspension used in the Wrangler is very similar with improvements
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Ah%20Souli%20Tribe/SpiderLakeII.jpg

skijunkie55
08-26-13, 07:31

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/skijunkie55/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9319.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/skijunkie55/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9318.jpg

I'm a big fan :D

Eurodriver
08-26-13, 07:45
The Wrangler is the most capable off-road vehicle straight off the showroom floor there is

Period.

You don't buy a Wrangler because you are worried about impact safety, gas mileage, resale value, etc. You buy it because you want to do this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uqlt1g.jpg

I'm biased though - I viewed my Jeep the same way many of us view our ARs. It was a tool, not a toy.

skijunkie55
08-26-13, 07:49
You don't buy a Wrangler because you are worried about impact safety, gas mileage, resale value, etc. You buy it because you want to do this:

submarine mode on
I still have to strip out the carpet and linex the interior before I start that stuff ;)

Wake27
08-26-13, 07:53
I don't know that I'll be doing a lot of that stuff. But I really like having the ability to because it does look fun as hell.

steyrman13
08-26-13, 07:53
Period.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uqlt1g.jpg

I'm biased though - I viewed my Jeep the same way many of us view our ARs. It was a tool, not a toy.

I thought you viewed it as a tool.....looks more like a toy in that pic! ;):D

It is kind of best of toy and tool world. Although reliability on Jeeps is on the low side. I love the body and all, just not the engine and so on. The Yota Pickups/FJ are the better choice for the reliability with offroad capability standpoint. A Jeep with a cummins diesel (smaller sized one of course) would be the ticket!

skijunkie55
08-26-13, 08:02
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/206573_503182283304_4943_n.jpg

Did somebody say Cummins diesel??

I agree with the FJ comment above... They are an incredibly well built machine, both for handling on and offroad environments

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/131-1005-toyota-fj-cruiser-vs-jeep-jk-wrangler/ <<< Good read on the two. I chose the wrangler mostly because I've always been a Jeep guy, but the FJ was a very close 2nd choice

MistWolf
08-26-13, 13:09
...reliability on Jeeps is on the low side. I love the body and all, just not the engine and so on. The Yota Pickups/FJ are the better choice for the reliability with offroad capability standpoint. A Jeep with a cummins diesel (smaller sized one of course) would be the ticket!

Get a Jeep with the 4.0 straight six, sans power windows, door locks and other electrical doodads, avoid the Peugeot BA-10 5 speed and it will be about as bullet-proof as it gets. Toyotas also make good off-road rigs, but they've got their own set of problems, starting with the Birfield joints

ra2bach
08-26-13, 14:20

it's been my experience that the GCs are made better. maybe because they are focused more on daily use???
not had any problems commonly associated with Jeep in any of mine...

Wake27
08-26-13, 14:34
Get a Jeep with the 4.0 straight six, sans power windows, door locks and other electrical doodads, avoid the Peugeot BA-10 5 speed and it will be about as bullet-proof as it gets. Toyotas also make good off-road rigs, but they've got their own set of problems, starting with the Birfield joints

The new(er) Pentastar 3.6 is supposed to be pretty awesome I think.

steyrman13
08-26-13, 16:42

The unreliable common parts I have seen (the engine it self is really great) are the transmissions, u joints, air locker compressors, fuel throttle body sensors, other sensors, Axle seals, pinion seals, wheel bearings, brake hardware, A/C compressors, heaters to name a few. The transfer cases and engines and body are pretty good though. I think they are pretty tough to take the abuse that they receive.

T2C
08-26-13, 16:59
I own a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited with 24,000 miles. The vehicle has never been driven off road or run hard on the highway. I notice a puff of blue smoke now and then when I first start the Jeep, which is unacceptable for a low mileage vehicle.

Grab a cold beer and google 2011 Jeep oil consumption.

brickboy240
08-27-13, 10:48
Why do people still buy Chrysler anything?

Go look at a Toyota 4-Runner or FJ and never look back.

Later on...when you have 100k miles or more on it and it has never seen the shop....you'll be glad you got away from the US big 3 makers.

How do I know? I have put well over 200k on two Tundras and am still driving the second Tundra. At 230k miles...the damn thing stays out of the shop. Never buying a Chevy truck again.

-brickboy240

4x4twenty6
08-27-13, 11:33
My wife had a 2006 Jeep GC Laredo with the 4.7 v8. It was a giant piece of crap. Too man problems to list.
We traded it for a 2013 4wd 4runner Sr5 with all the bells and whistles. I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with its 4wd capability. We had some pretty bad snow 2 days after we bought it. 8"+. (I'm from New Orleans and live in central Arkansas so that's bad for me)
I couldn't believe how capable the vehicle was in its stock form. I had to drag a big ass tree to get to my house and in 4Low and fresh powder it made easy work of it. The spectators were also thoroughly impressed.
I have since added a toytec spacer lift up front that gave me another inch and airbags in the rear to help with gear. Ill be able to fit 33's w/ no problem now. 4runners are worth a look.