PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Carrier Group Question

KenpoCop822
10-22-12, 20:20
Hopefully I can frame this question correctly.

I just got through cleaning my AR. Now when I put the bolt carrier group back in with the charging handle, I can lightly tap the receiver and the bolt unlocks and comes out of battery. Any reasons why this would happen, and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks for the help.

AdamNCNN
10-22-12, 20:28
Did you remember to put the buffer and spring back in?

KenpoCop822
10-22-12, 20:44
This is before I put the receivers back together. Maybe I'm making too much of it, but when I lightly tap the receiver the bolt unlocks and comes out of battery. Normally it lock in there pretty good, but now it almost slips out.

NoveskeFan
10-22-12, 22:25
How's the tension of the latch on the charging handle? How old is the CH?
EDIT: Thought you were talking about the CH falling out; I need to read a bit slower.

MistWolf
10-23-12, 00:03
There is nothing to fix because it's normal. Tapping the receiver with the muzzle upward simply lets gravity pull the carrier rearward which is what unlocks the bolt. It just means your rifle is operating smoothly

Sticks
10-23-12, 04:53
Deleted due to a professional stepping in.

Iraqgunz
10-23-12, 04:54
Let's not add more fuel to the fire. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his BCG.

KenpoCop822
10-23-12, 20:07
Thank you everyone. I have not owned an AR long enough little idiosyncrasies. It just seemed a little off to me. That's why it's great to have this place has a resource.

10-23-12, 21:06
One thing to remember about your ? is that it was answered by IG. His knowledge is as good as it gets. Master Armorer that has lived and worked in the sandbox. Unfortunatley, not all responses are =. Just a tip from someone that has learned a lot, and been helped a lot, by IG. Pretty hard to find fault with IG's advice on mechanical matters.

Is he a perv that love bitches in a burka? Maybe so.:D

JHoward
10-23-12, 21:10
Good info, this would definitely freak me out if I ever witnessed it on my own rifle.