PDA

View Full Version : De-pin - RRA barrel

freebug
10-22-12, 22:38
I have a 14.5 chome lined with a standard gas block and wanted to swap to a low profile.

I was banging on the pins didn't move them a bit. Has anyone done this? Is there something that RRA does that others do not? Tried calling but was busy all day.

Iraqgunz
10-22-12, 22:56
Are you pins typical straight pins or are they tapered?

I have a 14.5 chome lined with a standard gas block and wanted to swap to a low profile.

I was banging on the pins didn't move them a bit. Has anyone done this? Is there something that RRA does that others do not? Tried calling but was busy all day.

Scrunt
10-22-12, 23:07
You said it is a14.5, is it a reg. SBR or NFA compliant with a perm. attached flash hider.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

MistWolf
10-22-12, 23:31
Any reason the FSB cannot be trimmed? It would very simple to do

freebug
10-23-12, 00:03
They are straight pins

Iraqgunz
10-23-12, 00:10
As someone else has mentioned, you need to ascertain if the flash hider is pinned into place. If it is, you will need to cut it off first before you can remove the FSB. My advice is to simply cut down the FSB and use it as a gas block. It isn't terribly difficult to do.

If you decide that can remove the FSB and want to use the gas block, you will need to secure the barrel so you can beat the pins out. They can be difficult and I suggest that you put some Kroil or other lube in the pins.

They are straight pins

freebug
10-23-12, 00:27
Right now there is no flash hider. Is there a special method for straight pins?

Iraqgunz
10-23-12, 01:48
No. You need to lube those pins and then beat on them. There is no real trick to it.

Right now there is no flash hider. Is there a special method for straight pins?

Semper Paratus
10-23-12, 21:32
Only trick is to wield the BFH with authority and use that strong punch to drive tthem out. Did I say you need a BFH? Start wit a 2# Ball peen or even better a 3# Engineer's hammer so you can hit it a lick.

RD62
10-24-12, 06:12
Only trick is to wield the BFH with authority and use that strong punch to drive tthem out. Did I say you need a BFH? Start wit a 2# Ball peen or even better a 3# Engineer's hammer so you can hit it a lick.

This should do it. Hit it harder with a bigger hammer.

The Brownell's AR15 FSB Bench Block helps to hold it too.

Stickman
10-24-12, 13:55
I was banging on the pins didn't move them a bit.

You need to hit it hard, and with a large hammer to shock the pin free. Lighter weight hammers and hits will start to mushroom the heads of the pins.